If Win10 Mobile now only receives polish and bug fixes, will you upgrade from 8.1 when 10 is out?

Cage Ata

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think I will ever abandon windows on pc but mobile.. Its becoming more of an endurance test than anything else. If WM only receives bug fixes from this point onwards, ill be leaving for ios and I really don't want to because I love windows. I love the tiles. I don't know why its so difficult to offer the same capabilities as the competitors. Interactive tiles with toggles could have been a game changer I think, truly making them 'live' and I know its coming later but at launch, this is Microsofts last chance.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi
Good question. My answer would be yes. My daily driver is a 1020 sporting 8.1 and I test W10 on my 535.

What I expect from new builds is more stability, etc. and above Cortana going ahead (still alpha in France but already better on 10 than 8.1).

A lot of "bugs" reported here are app-related. MSN Apps are now catching up with their 8.1 opposite numbers (MSN News can finally share an article o_O) so I think one has really to focus on the OS to answer the question of upgrading. Apps evolve a lot faster than builds, and to conclude, I would sum it up by 2 points :
a) We need a more refined OS (stability, performance, etc.), including core features like Cortana, tile animation, lockscreen etc.
b) We need apps (some of which are "stock apps" on WP8.1) to update quickly to bring more features. For instance, I can finally choose outlook mail to show on my lockscreen notifications. Don't know if it's app or OS related.

To illustrate this, I decided to test W10 only when the office apps were available (10080). That shows how this OS/app separation is even more important on W10 than 8.1 when you have to answer the question of upgrade or not.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I laughed way too hard at that. Music is great? Yes, can't even get a song on replay. It stops at the end with an error. And the laggy ugly-looking toggles... I don't really know how you people see things...

Works perfectly for as far as I can tell. Some responsiveness-quirks, but fine all-things-considered. The swipe to get to the playlist is much appreciated.

Could it possibly be... that the experience is (too) variable?

cory1717

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see more new features. The people hub needs more cleaning I don't like it at all . Also the live tile people hub sucks .6tag integration would be nice. The new calendrer app is way to messy . I really like the calendar on 8.1.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I will upgrade for sure. What I don't like is an inconsistency of the UI though and I don't think it will be polished away. Sometimes you have the same things accessible via hamburger menu, sometimes via command bar, depending on which app or part of the OS. As if each programmer had a different idea to put forward. But despite that I am quite enjoying 10166 build. I wasn't convinced before, but now that I see coming things together, I think it will be good, better than 8.1.

Avinash Bajaj

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I tried the Windows 10 TP preview yestarday for the first time, the phone works fine, but nothing as such of a great incentive to take all the efforts upgrading from Win8.1 to Win10. In-fact, I like the UI of Win8.1 better. And seriously after 5-6 years from releasing their Windows phone7 OS, its a sad thing that in 2015, yet we don't have a proper notification centre yet in Win8.1.

Arjun KR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think, still lot of features will be included in future builds. They might be referring to current build when they said "Feature locked at this point". As many insiders reported previous builds as buggy and slow, they made 10166 as stable so that more people can adopt preview builds.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
There's also another possibility. It's feature locked in terms of core/common features with the PC version (as W10 is due for 29/7 on PC) ; then they would focus on mobile-only features (like SMS receipt flags, etc.) ?

Anyway, DR stating it's 'feature locked' is only his take on the mobile build development cycle, not a solid information.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Presumably the added features will soon be locked in the run up to the official release of WM10, although I only recall MS making that statement with respect to W10 Desktop. But I expect MS will continue to polish WM10 without break after release on a going forward basis. So I hope to continue as a Fast Ring Insider and get the TP's on a going-forward basis. We can get true improvements ahead of the curve as well as getting an early look at future enhancements.

I have installed advance leaks if BlackBerry 10 Builds for years. As soon as the base OS matured, the leaks routinely provided superior performance and features, relative to the official carrier releases, months and months ahead of time. Sometimes the disparity was so great that it seemed like a device running a stable leak OS was a different, better device than the standard issue phone. But it was extremely tough sledding when BB10 was being built before it's official release. But the shift to steady, advance progress through leaks followed very soon after the official launch of BB10, and no looking back.

angelblast1997

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I will be upgrading! As a graphic/web/mograph designer my life revolves around design. The new UI and aesthetics of Windows 10 Mobile are far better than WP8/8.1. I liked WP8 and I fell in love with it but things change and evolve. Though I wish the new UI was a bit more vibrant and live. Maybe adding the Aero effect in some areas, like the Notification + Action Center, in Cortana, banners/toast notifications/music controller.ActionCenter_Black.jpgActionCenter_Blue.jpg
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...505475-translucent-action-notification-center

I would also like to see a more integrated Cortana, maybe living next to the Start Screen, on the left. Check it out! Cortana_StartScreen_Mockup.jpghttps://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8496286-more-integrated-cortana-cortana-on-the-start-sc

Today, I used an iPhone, which I hadn't in a while, and though I stopped liking Apple products, there was something that called me to it. The UI and smoothness of the OS was good. It looks alive and colorful, fun and entertaining.

If you would like to see these features vote for them on User Voice (links below images).
By the way, I heard that they said they/Microsoft said that there wouldn't be new features in W10M until the PC version reached RTM. Dont quote me on that though.

Note: Excuse the mockups as they were made under 5 mins.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I can't go back now!
2 weeks with W10m TP and I'm so spoiled that each time I see my secondary with WP8.1 I feel depressed :p
After saying that, W10m has a still some way to go [polishing and adding colors, from what we have seen already on /build mockups(?)] also fixing the plethora of bugs mainly on edge, onedrive and pictures.
From there if MS add transparencies on notification panel, volume sliders and finally bring a lockscreen button for the camera, I pretty much feel that many will follow the MS ocult, mostly fed-up Android users! :p
But still, it feels like something completely different from WP8.1, more streamlined and right to the point in many many ways!

yehuda92

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if this is the full feature set we should expect in 10... I will probably update my phone. But I may also switch over to a different OS.

Chaosz

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Windows 10 is solid imho. Having the same look and feel on both your phone and laptop is very nice too. I cannot wait to see what Continuum will bring. I've been dreaming of a phone/tablet/laptop hybrid.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
No won't be upgrading unless the issues I had on my L830 using build 10166 are rectified, mainly were notifications/sounds, email, store along with a somewhat sluggish feeling, like where it is heading and tried my best in getting it to work but just not ready yet in my opinion, at least not for me.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
First, thanks for informing me about the speed. I have a 929 and a 928 with TP on the 928, which is somewhat laggy. Good to know it is running well on a 930. You are absolutely right about the universal apps; I did overlook that. However, I think that Universal Apps will improve the OS only after a fair amount of time has passed for devs to make interesting apps. I'm really thinking about the launch right now.

In terms of what I am looking for, I would like to gain more control of windows 10. Settings to adjust the lock screen (because I don't like the new date and time layout) and better news and general integration of Cortana would be appreciated on my end.
i have an icon, and there is no way it's faster. 8.1 is smoother, faster and more stable. also WAY WAY WAY better battery life on 8.1. it likely won't get additional features as win 10 isn't really a game changing OS. it's a basic evolution over 8 on desktop and phones. not much to see, and massive amounts of engineering spent on continuum and porting iOS and android apps that no developers will bother using, because the issue has never EVER been writing apps, it's always been support, and THIS DOESN'T FIX THAT ISSUE. banks HAD apps, they shut them down. Airlines HAD apps, they shut them down. Apps aren't coming, and microsoft spent all their time fixing a problem that didn't exist. with the recent announcement that they're basically dropping wp (and yes, they basically are. DR's career depends on them not dropping it, and you coming to this site regularly for news, so writing otherwise means he's shooting himself in the foot. he's not an unbiased source) why would they spend a fortune adding new features on an OS that doesn't sell? they announced 10 way back. they have to deliver. after that, it's basically over. add the features they have to and move on.

ime for android/iOS, boyz.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have a L930 also.
I didn't get on with 10149 or the previous build (10800?) on my L930 but currently 10166 runs fine on my backup L625.
How did you get on with the older builds on your 930 and how does it run now?
Thanks for your time.

Sorry, this was meant to be directed at user 2uiam.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure.. I am using WM 10 on 1320 but I keep going back to my WP 8.1 1020..Music, Mail, Calendar, People and contacts and so many things are much better for navigation and look wise on WP 8.1...I specially didn't like the music app cause I am not a Playlist person, I like to go from one song to other song or album or artist and it's really very difficult to press that hamburger menu on top and navigate through it.. It was much easy to just swipe through all those things on WP 8.1..Not liking the new store either, specially with dark theme.. I think I will keep my primary 1020 on WP 8. 1 for as long as I can.. May sell off this 1320 and buy something else on some other OS.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium