If Win10 Mobile now only receives polish and bug fixes, will you upgrade from 8.1 when 10 is out?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Dark theme support isn't going out the window... To my hearing, haven't some w10 mobile apps recently been updated with support for the darl backgrounds to match your theme?

They have, but not to the degree it was in 8.1. Cortana's dark theme directly replaces elements that had been black with white. It's nowhere to be seen in the new mail and calendar apps. Other things that had been black are now grey, etc. It's just moving away from what had been a beautiful, elegant and consistently applied design.

jyasin

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
From a visually challenged person the ease of access features are of the utmost importance and as of now they are worse on the WM10. Scaling problems are throughout the system. You increase your text size then you run into scaling issues. What'd the point then? I really hope they are working on that. Several times I upgraded and roll back on lumia 93o. On lumia 1020 it's running slow and laggy. Upgraded there also several times and rolled back. Can't seem to be satisfied with the WM10. white background apps such as mail is very faint and hard to read need better contrast. Cortana white theme and the small text is horrible for me. Why things can't be a little bigger like OK Google on the nexus 5 which I have. I really love my windows phone I have three of them for God sake but IOS and Android seem to care and do better in the accessibility area.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jyasin

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I must add I am writing here in this forum t using my nexus 5 because it has a better windows central app than the one on the windows phone. That's very sad and I am speaking from the low vision area. Can't read the one on windows phone. When I want to run through Facebook again I grab my nexus 5 because the Facebook app is friendlier and the text is larger and better contrast.

KentAshfield

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Well first off Daniel makes an "assumption". You in turn make a entire thread based on an "assumption". But I "assume" you know that already?

What is the point of these absurd post? Windows 8 is a awesome OS. Windows 10 on my 1520 is trouble free and makes windows 8 just that much better. Having had all of the iphones up to 6 and all of the Android flagships I see windows as the most fluid OS of all. Why do people feel every time Microsoft makes a move that it somehow negatively affects you? Microsoft has laid out their plan for mobile. It's simply a choice to stay with windows or any other system. Why make this out like it's that damn important? It's not.

As someone who loves windows phone I see this as a huge step forward in improving an already great OS and unifying it with the whole Microsoft ecosystem.
What's the point of asking everybody else what would they do if this is locked down. The issue is what would you do? And what you do has no effect on me.
Please tell me what would they have to do to make you just love your phone without daily second guessing? Maybe that's a better question?

Sorry for the rant!

Rather than give you the satisfaction of getting me fired up, I will simply say this:

I'm sorry you do not find value in this thread. Several other loyal WP enthusiasts, myself included, do. You don't need to continue following it. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your mobile experience. Please contact me privately if you require further attention regarding this thread; I am happy to defend it.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Rather than give you the satisfaction of getting me fired up, I will simply say this:

I'm sorry you do not find value in this thread. Several other loyal WP enthusiasts, myself included, do. You don't need to continue following it. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your mobile experience. Please contact me privately if you require further attention regarding this thread; I am happy to defend it.

Don't flatter yourself. There's nothing to defend here. It's just whining. You don't like windows phone move on. Why isn't your gut feeling good enough to make that decision. You need everybody else to tell you why you should keep a phone. Sheesh just think if this was something serious?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Gentlemen, that'll be enough. It's bad enough when a phone war starts between Android and WP. We certainly don't need it amongst ourselves.

Just to be clear, we welcome everybody's input. Right, wrong or indifferent we all have a voice. Rest assured we're not the mutual admiration society.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

Cage Ata

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Nothing like a comparative os war. It's a sure fire way to ensure competitive functionality is embedded in the new os!

Last edited:

Cage Ata

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
From a visually challenged person the ease of access features are of the utmost importance and as of now they are worse on the WM10. Scaling problems are throughout the system. You increase your text size then you run into scaling issues. What'd the point then? I really hope they are working on that. Several times I upgraded and roll back on lumia 93o. On lumia 1020 it's running slow and laggy. Upgraded there also several times and rolled back. Can't seem to be satisfied with the WM10. white background apps such as mail is very faint and hard to read need better contrast. Cortana white theme and the small text is horrible for me. Why things can't be a little bigger like OK Google on the nexus 5 which I have. I really love my windows phone I have three of them for God sake but IOS and Android seem to care and do better in the accessibility area.

Windows Mobile 10 Is shaping up to possibly be a great upgrade. We often forget that this is still alpha quality. Who knows how Microsoft develops their os, 8.1 could have been designed in the same respect to 10 as 8. Anything lacking that existed in 8 or 8.1 will surely be carried over to 10. I cant imagine Microsoft completely removing features as minute as pinning contacts to the start screen. However, im holding all expectations until we arrive closer to rtm. Clearly the os is lacking features that lollipop and ios8 have, and I hope Microsoft adds the functionality in.. the only way to be sure is to upvote our creative ideas.. which is the entire point of these builds.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but I don't think anyone from android or ios will
The OP stated this thread is asking would you UPGRADE from 8.1 to 10, not switch from Android or iOS. Doesn't really apply..
-snap chat
Since it isn't on 8.1, kind of pointless to require it on 10, since it's about upgrading from one WP OS to another, and not about jumping the Android or iOS ship.

Well first off Daniel makes an "assumption".
Yes, and assumption it was.

I do believe that the desktop Windows 10 has fixed features, as it is being released earlier. However, many parts of the phone OS are still incomplete. This is why Windows 10 for Mobile is being released AFTER the Desktop and tablet version, because there is still more to do, and I'm not talking about just bugs. If it were all about bugs at this point, they could release all versions at the same time.

I won't say this thread is pointless, however. It raises a valid concern for many. I just happen to be one who believes those concerns are a bit premature.

I believe, and I may be wrong, that Microsoft still has plans to add a few more features before it rolls out.

What I DO believe is feature locked, is the set of features they PLAN on implementing before the release. That doesn't mean they are already there, but they won't be adding any more to their "to do list" of features until after their initial release. There is no way of knowing what is on this "to do list" of features, so we'll just have to wait and see. As I said, this is "What I DO believe", and I have no proof to back it up. It just seems like common sense to me. Does Microsoft have the common sense? We'll see.

Will I upgrade day one? No. It doesn't matter if they add the features or not. I want to wait a bit and let everyone else test the final to see how good it is before I make the plunge. It will probably be a few weeks after the mobile is released at the earliest before I upgrade everything. I'll upgrade all my devices at once when I do, phones and laptops, etc.

Arunabha Goswami

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I, for one, won't be upgrading to W10M. I will be using Win8.1 for as long as I can, then I will be moving on from the platform.
I have been a Windows Phone fan for a long time. I know that compared to android/iOS, WP lagged some pretty big features, but I was happy to overlook them for the unique features WP did have. I loved the UI to the death, the easy one-handed navigation, the consistent look which even extended to third party apps. These are all gone in W10M, even the core apps don't look similar anymore.
About the new features in W10M, universal apps is not that exciting to me, as apart from some core apps like files, I can't think of any app that I use both on my phone and my PC. The same goes for continuum. The hamburger menu is difficult to reach(which wouldn't have been an issue at all if it could be activated with a left swipe).
There are some W10M features that I like - improved action center and more customizable start screen, but they are not worth sacrificing W8.1 for.

Cage Ata

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
The OP stated this thread is asking would you UPGRADE from 8.1 to 10, not switch from Android or iOS. Doesn't really apply..

Since it isn't on 8.1, kind of pointless to require it on 10, since it's about upgrading from one WP OS to another, and not about jumping the Android or iOS ship.

Yes, and assumption it was.

I do believe that the desktop Windows 10 has fixed features, as it is being released earlier. However, many parts of the phone OS are still incomplete. This is why Windows 10 for Mobile is being released AFTER the Desktop and tablet version, because there is still more to do, and I'm not talking about just bugs. If it were all about bugs at this point, they could release all versions at the same time.

I won't say this thread is pointless, however. It raises a valid concern for many. I just happen to be one who believes those concerns are a bit premature.

I believe, and I may be wrong, that Microsoft still has plans to add a few more features before it rolls out.

What I DO believe is feature locked, is the set of features they PLAN on implementing before the release. That doesn't mean they are already there, but they won't be adding any more to their "to do list" of features until after their initial release. There is no way of knowing what is on this "to do list" of features, so we'll just have to wait and see. As I said, this is "What I DO believe", and I have no proof to back it up. It just seems like common sense to me. Does Microsoft have the common sense? We'll see.

Will I upgrade day one? No. It doesn't matter if they add the features or not. I want to wait a bit and let everyone else test the final to see how good it is before I make the plunge. It will probably be a few weeks after the mobile is released at the earliest before I upgrade everything. I'll upgrade all my devices at once when I do, phones and laptops, etc.

It kind of does apply, i mean if people on 8.1 and 8 wont upgrade i hardly doubt ios or android will too. If I "we" dont, who will?

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I for sure will update to Win 10 on day1. I am on TP now and even I wasnt too optimistic and there are some UI changes I dont like too much, I must admit that OS is making another step forward. There are some nice improvements all over the place, some minor, some major. As part of OS are now in separate apps, they can be updated anytime without need to update whole OS, that is great.

I will update regardless if more new features are added or not.

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I installed build 10149 on my 830 and used it for more than a week as my daily driver. Not even once was I greeted with "Resuming" screens while switching between apps.

I could even pick up my phone after an hour and switch to an app like Skype in a second, with no Resuming etc. That for me beats any other reason I could have thought of to upgrade to WP10. On WP 8.1, I would see Resuming screens for 5-10 seconds before switching to most of the apps.

dwaynebritton

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I for one will stay with Win Phone as long as it's around!

I hate all things apple. I have been doing computer work since before apple came along. I remember the first few times I call them for support. They were even then so arrogant, even about the smallest things. Then I met the god known as jobs, I have never met anyone so arrogant in my life. I also had some friends over the years that went to work for the apple pit, the stories they tell!

I met Bill Gates back in the mid 80's, he was so easy to talk to, and either answered everything I ask about, or gave me numbers of people that could! I talked to lots of MS people over the years, never once was I ever treated badly!

I have had 5 different android phones, None of them worked the same, even running the same version of android! I hate it when friends get a new android, and ask for help. No it doesn't take long to figure them out, but Why!

I have loaned my old Lumia 620 to a few friends to try, 70%+ just loved it, half or better now have Lumia's

My Lumia 635, is still trying to get build 166, it sticks at 31%. Am I upset, no a bit disappointed, but I have been playing with beta software from MS for 20+ years, and I kn MS will fix it!

Even if my 635 bricks, it will still be ok, I knew the risks, I was warned, it's my fault!

But when wp10 comes out, I will be in line for a new Lumis with wp10 on it!

Live long and Prosper, MS Lumia!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have been doing computer work since before apple came along.
Nice to meet someone else who lived through the 60's and 70's. ;) I say 60's also, because you'd have to be at least that old to be doing computer work already by the time 1976 came around.

Also nice to meet someone who, when they say "computer work", is not talking about a personal computer of some sort. Yeah, those computers were WAY to big to put on a desk, yet didn't have near the power of a phone from 10 years ago. Ah, memories.

I remember the first few times I call them for support. They were even then so arrogant, even about the smallest things. Then I met the god known as jobs, I have never met anyone so arrogant in my life. I also had some friends over the years that went to work for the apple pit, the stories they tell!
I had heard nightmares from a couple of friends, but I never had to call Apple for support. Never had to call Microsoft either, though. The products over the years supported themselves pretty well for the most part. I sort of called IBM for support a few times, though, which was, in essence, calling my Dad. He's still awesome on what's what with computers, and he's getting on up there. What do you expect with an IQ over 170, though.

I met Bill Gates back in the mid 80's, he was so easy to talk to, and either answered everything I ask about, or gave me numbers of people that could! I talked to lots of MS people over the years, never once was I ever treated badly!
You see, I'm more impressed with you meeting Bill Gates than Steve Jobs. Bill Gates has taken his billions and helped so many people, and he and his wife are still in the business of helping people all over the world. The same can't be said of anyone at Apple.

You will see that plays down into the corporate philosophy. When you've got an arrogant egomaniacal CEO, then you get arrogant customer support. When you've got a CEO that cares for the people in the world, then you get customer support that cares. Does every single person in support care? I think that would be impossible to screen and hire, but I'll bet those that don't care don't last long at Microsoft.

I had a friend that had met Bill Gates around the time that Microsoft was founded. He tried to get me to invest $100 in this "new company" that Bill Gates was starting, because he thought it would pay off. I can't tell you how many times I've been sorry that I didn't. $100 then would have had me set for life by the time 1990 rolled around.

I have had 5 different android phones, None of them worked the same, even running the same version of android! I hate it when friends get a new android, and ask for help. No it doesn't take long to figure them out, but Why!
Yet, whether you purchase a Lumia 520, or a 1520, or an 830, or a 635, the experience is the same. Even purchasing a different OEM (non-Lumia), it's the same experience. You don't have to learn how all over again, until we get to Windows 10, we'll learn that once, but it's going to be easy.

I have loaned my old Lumia 620 to a few friends to try, 70%+ just loved it, half or better now have Lumia's
Yeah, same here. So many people say you can't convert people on Android because they've purchased apps they don't want to lose or have to purchase again. Thing is, a large majority of Android users only get the free apps and never pay for one. It's one of the reasons they go Android. Not an issue for 70%+ of them, nor are specific apps an issue for 70%+ of them. That's been my experience in real life, as opposed to what people tell you on the internet. "It's the apps! It's all about apps!" Yeah, not really. Somewhat, yes. After all, we'll need to get that other 30% at some point. ;) If it were the apps, then you and I would not be converting 70%+. Those 70%+ are the ones who have stayed with it and are still happy with their choice, you know, without having buyers remorse. There was one that wanted to go back, but I don't count him in that.

I wonder how many people continuum for phones will convert, especially when paired with an Intel x86 architecture to run desktop apps in the future?

My Lumia 635, is still trying to get build 166, it sticks at 31%. Am I upset, no a bit disappointed, but I have been playing with beta software from MS for 20+ years, and I kn MS will fix it!
Agreed.

Even if my 635 bricks, it will still be ok, I knew the risks, I was warned, it's my fault!
Been there. Bricked mine already. Lumia Software Recovery Tool brought it back to life doing a dead flash of the ROM. However, while it was bricked and before I figured it out, I bought a replacement 635, which now my wife owns. I challenged her to use it for 7 days, which was nearly 3 weeks ago. She's told me I'm never getting it back, and has already bought a 32GB microSD for it, a new case and a tempered glass screen protector. I think she's going to keep it. ;)

She had said she will never use a smart phone, period, because her old "feature" phone did everything she needed, yet a week with a Lumia changed her mind. She's tried iPhone and Android in the past, but they could not change her mind. They are the reason she said she would never have a smart phone. She hated them that much, that she would rather go without a smart phone than have to use them. She absolutely loves her 635.

Thanks so much for your post. Enjoyed it immensely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss