If Win10 Mobile now only receives polish and bug fixes, will you upgrade from 8.1 when 10 is out?

cknorthpole

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I would upgrade and "switch back" to Windows mobile/Windwos 10 Mobile (or what ever it's called nowadays, will call it WP10 in this post for short) as long as the app situation is getting resolved/greatly improved.
I think the most important part of WP10 is going to be universal apps. For me WP 8.1 was fine but the lack of apps (bank apps, new and upcoming apps on ios and android, popular games, and a ton of regional apps that just didn't excist on WP7-8.1 in my country but ios and android had them all) made me switch to iPhone 6 plus when it was released.
I will definetely buy a new WP when WP10 get released and be patient for a while and hope for the best. Might not be the new flagship (ofc depending on how awesome it will be), might be a Lumia 640XL since my Lumia 1520 is not worth using since it's acting a bit weird.

But in case it doesn't work out I will be keeping my iPhone 6 plus in my right pocket ready to return as my daily driver in a worst case cenario. Really enjoyed it so far even though i thought I wouldn't.

Arunabha Goswami

May 11, 2015
Visit site
If you have to wait a few seconds maybe you need another phone. it's very quick (instant) on my phone.

I said a couple of seconds, not a few seconds. And that's not for the animation only, the whole process. I'll try to justify with an example.

To cycle between artist view, album view and such in music or inbox, sent etc. in mail client (assuming your thumb is in the middle of the screen)
WP8.1:
1. Swipe.
W10M:
1. Move your thumb to start button.
2. Press and hold the start button.
3. Press the hamburger.
4. Select the option from the menu.
5. Wait for the reachability mode to end / tap the black area / hold the start button again.

What is it you are talking about? I don't see any functionality like that on my 635 with 10166. At least I haven't noticed.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

It's supposed to be available on phones with screens no smaller than 5".

cooolaashu

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at the positive side, since W10 Mobile is feature locked, all future updates will be optimization updates. I've decided to skip the next build also and go for whatever comes next.
I've heard battery backup is not good in build 10166 but better than in 10149

angelblast1997

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
That's a total Android ripoff (having Cortana on swipe-from-left) but I like it. :) It would be nice if MS also ripped off the swipe-from-left in apps, to access the hamburger menu. Not sure if they can even do that without getting sued though. :p

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I know it is kind of a rip off of Google Now (and the new and "improved" Siri), but who haven't copied each other? iOS and WP notification center, iOS swipe keyboard from Android and WP, and I dont know but I know Android got something from the others. Oh! And Windows basically started the new trend going around of flat and simple, which iOS and Android have adopted, too. Is good for companies to borrow from one another, it helps evolving a product. Having a little experience with Android devices, it was always good having GN so accessible. After all, Cortana is a virtual assistant, you wouldn't like to have your assistant confined in a room, you would like to always have her close to you and easily reachable and in sight.

Maybe for a better way to access the Hamburger menu without swiping and infringing on some copyright/whatever, we could tap and hold on the Start Button and this will expand the hamburger menu.

Last edited:

Gyani Thounaojam

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
This latest update for windows 10 for phone is quite nice then ever, but i am facing a problem with games , some games like Dungeon Hunter 5, Modern combat 5 and siege fall is not working, what i want to say is it opens up the game but i am not able to tap on the screen its not detecting my touch, so i am rolling back to windows phone 8.1. I am using lumia 535 Dual Sim. So is anyone facing the same problem
Hence other then this issue it is okay for using as daily driver.
Thanks

ivanflo

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
To assume the bugs will be fixed is a big assumption.. From my experience it runs shockingly bad on a Lumia 820. Most app would only half work or crash. User interface is shocking, the hamburger should stay at McDonald's. There are no real feature improvements, putting continuum aside. Outlook does not work for me at all, as it is appears to be built on the code of the iOS outlook app, which is blocked by my employer (higher education - university) due to major security flaws. I think Windows mobile 10 is a significant detraction from what makes windows phone special.

Having said all that, my employer is looking to adopt Windows 10 early and fast ( I am in IT). If Microsoft can flesh out their Xbox (groove?) music app out on iOS. I will probably move my whole Microsoft experience over there. It's about services now right? Who cares what platform you are on, MS has watered down WP to be like android and iOS, just with more bugs and less apps, so why stay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ivanflo

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Interesting discussion!

For me, I like to have the latest and the greatest + I like how I looks, the new start screen is awesome!!

I'm not sure the start screen is a stand out, it seems more like a slight evolution of what they are already doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at the positive side, since W10 Mobile is feature locked, all future updates will be optimization updates. I've decided to skip the next build also and go for whatever comes next.
I've heard battery backup is not good in build 10166 but better than in 10149

Win 10 Mobil I not feature locked yet. At least not in the builds the insider have. I suspect that it will reach that point mid august.

ODwyerPW

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping for some sort of Network Neighborhood / Home Group functionality. I should be able to drag and drop files to other devices (phones, tablets, PCs, even Printers) that are reachable...... The second item.... Printing... This is important. These are two key features I'm hoping make it to Win10 Mobile.

2uiam

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have a L930 also.
I didn't get on with 10149 or the previous build (10800?) on my L930 but currently 10166 runs fine on my backup L625.
How did you get on with the older builds on your 930 and how does it run now?
Thanks for your time.

Sorry, this was meant to be directed at user 2uiam.

The first build I tried was 10149. It ran well and this build runs even better except for the known bugs. I had to do a hard reset though with both builds.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So if Windows 10 Mobile really is feature locked, then I have difficulty seeing myself upgrading for any reason other than being on the forefront of what Microsoft is offering. Let's hope the Windows Mobile team has several exciting features to add in before the final release.

It may be feature locked but the core apps can all be independently updated beyond its release so I can't see a problem. The only gripes people have are with the apps (Outlook/Calendar/Groove/Photos etc.) which can all be changed, as we have seen over the last few weeks. The UI and UX is brilliant. At the moment it's a bit slow and occasionally crashy on my 2 year old L925 but aside from that the experience is excellent. Once quicker devices that support it fully are brought out it will be spot on.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Short answer hell no! I don't like any of the cosmetic changes*, whatever new functionality is available isn't of great interest and to complement it the leaked 940/950 specs seem uninspired the only interesting things I can find about it is the inclusion of SD card (which the 920 should have had) and ability to use Windows Hello. Maybe 12 months after release MS will be doing something interesting, hell maybe Cortana would have achieved somewhere near global availability. The One+ 2 could be worthwhile for me to jump over to Android while continuing with Outlook.com, Onedrive, etc. MS are going to continue to put Android and iOS first appwise until market share lifts for them which I'm doubting will be soon.

*Corrections the main settings screen is much better than the unsorted mess it has been since WP7

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The only gripes people have are with the apps (Outlook/Calendar/Groove/Photos etc.) which can all be changed, as we have seen over the last few weeks.

I heard the same thing when they made the mistake of including the Music app in 8.1. Did that thing ever see an update which wasn't for bug fixes or restoring features that were part of WP8?

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I heard the same thing when they made the mistake of including the Music app in 8.1. Did that thing ever see an update which wasn't for bug fixes or restoring features that were part of WP8?
no. the universal app fo​r windows 10 has WAY fewer features than even that one. Every version it's a step back.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I had thoughts like you, but after trying out Windows 10 on my PC I realised that the new OneDrive is crap. Microsoft has removed Smart Files (placeholders) from Win 8.1! So I can only see the files I have stored on my PC in the OneDrive folder. I have 2 TB with documents and photos on my OneDrive but I can no longer see or search them in the OneDrive folder. They have to be kidding?!
So I am staying at Win 8.1 at my PC for now but may upgrade my phone if the battery drain and camera photo quality is fixed.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Everyone will upgrade. Even the ones who claim they aren't. You see the direction the platform is moving and when it's time to purchase a new device you're either going to buy into MS's vision or you're going to buy an iPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb