The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-18-2015 10:18 PM
107 1234 ...
tools
    Why would I switch to an entirely new ecosystem because the creator of my current ecosystem has said that they will put more focus into my software and hardware from now on?

You, my friend, doesn't make sense at all.
    07-13-2015 03:44 PM
    With all the news this week, I'm beginning to have less faith in MSFT and its willingness to support Windows 10 Mobile in the long run. Right now, I'm totally embedded in the Windows ecosystem - Surface RT, laptop, and Windows phone, but now that I have my doubts, I'm wondering if my loyalty will waver. What do you think the 5 year future for Windows 10 Mobile and Windows phone is? What can make me regret a move to iOS?
    It looks like you like MS's products and services. If you and other jump ship simply because the future is uncertain, then you are helping to make failure a reality. You move to iOS now, you'll enjoy MS apps there. Then, after a while, you're going to miss WP UI, Cortana, easy music loading and a frickin' BACK button/key. Then there might not even by a Windows Phone to go back to because you and others have left the already small number of users. My suggestion, stick it out. Wait for the flagship phones. You love WP - get others to adopt it. Show them why it's great. And if for some reason MS decides to just kill off WP, then make your move to iPhone, but not before it. Only go when there's no choice. Here ar post of my journey into iOS:

When I left: http://forums.windowscentral.com/app...e-ranting.html

I haven't wrote a post on what it's like to be back, but I'm pretty happy with my L620. The battery lasts (if you go iPhone, you'll fully appreciate this), charging cables are available everywhere, thieves don't try to steal your phone, I'm back to LiveTiles, Cortana, easy music/photo loading and an awesome keyboard. The apps were aplenty on iOS, but really the only thing I miss are the banking/stock apps and that Simpsons game. Stay WP and help grow the number of users.
    MikeSo, hiya15 and stevemind like this.
    07-13-2015 03:49 PM
    You will lose nothing by switching to iPhone and gain much in the way of apps, accessories, etc.

I am all-in Microsoft myself (PC, Surface, Outlook, OneDrive, Office) and made the switch several months back. Everything works seamlessly.

Understand this and your troubles will melt away: Microsoft does not care which phone you use. They just don't. They have made it so easy to abandon Windows Phone, if you so choose, and still have a premium experience with their apps and services. Stop waiting around for MS to get their mobile crap together and dive in! The water's fine. If you decide, once MS releases their flagship phones, to go back, you'll easily be able to sell your iPhone (they have great resale value). But I think you will like what you find out here.

Good luck!
    Al4video and DJCBS like this.
    07-13-2015 05:26 PM
    I'll keep it short:
    I think the Windows mobile in 5 years will be great. But we don't live in 2020, so buy yourself a phone that fulfills most of your expectations.
    07-13-2015 05:28 PM
    With all the news this week, I'm beginning to have less faith in MSFT and its willingness to support Windows 10 Mobile in the long run. Right now, I'm totally embedded in the Windows ecosystem - Surface RT, laptop, and Windows phone, but now that I have my doubts, I'm wondering if my loyalty will waver. What do you think the 5 year future for Windows 10 Mobile and Windows phone is? What can make me regret a move to iOS?
    I am feeling the same way. As much as I won't want to go over to the Dark Side it seems that MSFT is giving me no choice. Since Apple usually releases a new iPhone in the fall and Windows 10 mobile is supposed to be released then along with a new flagship device I am going to wait and see the the immediate future holds. For me to stay every core app on Win 10 mobile has to work flawlessly and they cannot skimp on the device. I ask people I know that have iPhone's and when I ask them why they tell me because it works. It would be nice to say the same thing about Windows 10 mobile.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-2015 05:50 PM
    The two biggest hurdles facing Windows Mobile right now are:

1. Carriers - If Windows Mobile wants a chance to succeed, ANY future device released HAS to be on all four major US carriers and trained on how to actually use them so sales reps can at least attempt to make a case for suggesting them to customers instead of just recommending what is in their pocket which is usually the only phone OS they know about. Carrier reps are regularly less informed about the devices they are selling than their customers.
    2. Developers - Developers have to get on board and make the app integration as smooth as it is normally on iOS and Android. If I open a Twitter link in my email, it should open whatever Twitter app is installed on my device whether it is Twitter or Tweetium or something else. Instead it opens the Twitter website in the Edge browser. No, just no. I know Twitter API's are not the easiest to work with, especially for third party devs, but devs have got to stop taking shortcuts and releasing apps that only look good with basic functionality. I'm sorry but the best devs in the world focus on iOS and Android and until they stop leaving heaps of money on the table by ignoring Windows Mobile, that is not going to change.
    Carriers I really couldn't give a crap about, they have way to much control on **** and have ****ed up WP since the beginning. MS needs to sell all their phones unlocked via webstore or brick and motor stores.

Hopefully more of these devs will come to their sense and don't pass up the opportunity that is universal apps, come on 1 billion ******* devices and they wont have an app, just plain dumbness to me.
    07-13-2015 07:14 PM
    Why would I switch to an entirely new ecosystem because the creator of my current ecosystem has said that they will put more focus into my software and hardware from now on?

You, my friend, doesn't make sense at all.
    And that's more to the reason why we should move. MS services will be everywhere, from iOS to Android to Window mobile (if it can last that long). However, moving to a new platform will allow one to enjoy much more polished apps as well as app choices. If I ever move fully to Android, I will not miss my One Drive cloud services at all. And I will not miss Cortana as well because till date, I still can't enjoy Cortana for my region.
    07-13-2015 08:37 PM
    And that's more to the reason why we should move. MS services will be everywhere, from iOS to Android to Window mobile (if it can last that long). However, moving to a new platform will allow one to enjoy much more polished apps as well as app choices. If I ever move fully to Android, I will not miss my One Drive cloud services at all. And I will not miss Cortana as well because till date, I still can't enjoy Cortana for my region.
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    ArtificiallyYours likes this.
    07-13-2015 09:41 PM
    Carriers I really couldn't give a crap about, they have way to much control on **** and have ****ed up WP since the beginning. MS needs to sell all their phones unlocked via webstore or brick and motor stores.

Hopefully more of these devs will come to their sense and don't pass up the opportunity that is universal apps, come on 1 billion ******* devices and they wont have an app, just plain dumbness to me.

Well without the carriers support, Windows Mobile is not going anywhere in the US as history has already shown. There are not enough MS stores around, or people that buy prefer to buy their devices online that can help bypass the carriers.

Also, with Windows 10 Mobile, MS has to run a Samsung style advertising campaign showing the benefits of the platform and integration with Windows 10 itself. If they do not show people there is a real reason to use their devices, they will make the challenge they are facing even larger.
    07-13-2015 11:03 PM
    There won't be a Windows Phone/Mobile in 5 years.
    That, however, should not worry you because of your Microsoft ecosystem. When I dumped WP for Android almost a year ago, I kept the entire Windows ecosystem intact because Microsoft has all of their services available on Android (and iOS). And while I can't vouch for how well Microsoft services work on Apple's tightly closed world, on Android at least they work pretty well. And with Cortana coming etc, you will literally be missing nothing from Windows Phone apart from the UI which you can even replicate, to some extent, with a Launcher.

The only thing I think will make you regret moving to iOS will be overpriced but underpowered devices running a boring-as-hell OS that looks the same to everyone else and doesn't give you any freedom and is entrenched with Apple apps and products that you can't get rid of (like Apple Music or the iWatch app etc). If you have a Windows ecosystem and enjoy Windows freedom, you will be better served on Android (but do avoid Samsung devices. Even if the S6Edge looks gorgeous. You won't want to deal with TouchWiz).
    07-13-2015 11:05 PM
    What Android phone would you prefer then?
    07-14-2015 12:13 AM
    What Android phone would you prefer then?
    LG G4

Overally best experience so far, lots of compliments
    07-14-2015 12:41 AM
    LG G4

Overally best experience so far, lots of compliments
    Is it the best out there?
    07-14-2015 01:00 AM
    Is it the best out there?
    It all depends on what one considers best. Some people might like a great camera, which the G4 definitely has. Others might like stock Android. Others might actually prefer certain OEM skins/launchers. I'd suggest visiting our sister site AndroidCentral if you're interested in Android devices.

For the record, the OP mentioned iOS, not Android.
    07-14-2015 01:19 AM
    What I don't get is why people have to know the 5 year future of W10M NOW. Even in the case where W10M is shutdown today, more likely than not the worse case scenario is you are locked into some 2 year contract, best scenario are those people who buy off contract phones in which case you are free to move platform anytime you want when money permits. Either way nothing is forcing you to know the future of W10M NOW except some geek itch for new shiny hardware that needs to be scratched as your phone doesn't suddenly implode and stops working just because MS pulled the plug. So why worry about such trivia things?
    Laura Knotek, tgp and MikeSo like this.
    07-14-2015 02:11 AM
    funny thing is, even I know MS needs to do things better in certain areas, need more apps, need better and this and better that, I've never thought about switching to iOS or Android.
    I'm happy with what I have. Simple and smoothly working mobile OS. It works perfectly for all I need. Actually I don't care if we need to use some alternative apps due to lack of offical apps. See Rudy Huyn as an example that alternatives may be even better than officials.
    With Lumia, we have top notch cameras and rock steady services from MS.

Those who want to leave, will do it sooner or later. You won't be first or last. ;-)
    Laura Knotek and hiya15 like this.
    07-14-2015 02:38 AM
    I'll be straight up with you. You have invested yourself very heavily into the MS ecosystem. I'd say just ride it out, and see what happens next. 5 years is a very long time in the tech world. Get yourself a nice Windows 10 Mobile flagship device, and be happy with it. Who knows, maybe I'll find myself back in the arms of a Windows smartphone again. Go for what gives you the most mileage.

Try to avoid deep future worries as they will only cause sleepless nights, and health troubles. Live in the now, and just be happy. The 940 looks promising, and should deliver. Or not, and you can move on to greener pastures. Both iOS and Android offer a sizable portfolio of MS apps that will make any change relatively painless once you set the device up. Personally I'd look into Android over iOS. It'll feel more natural. I could never get over the one button setup of the iphone.
    Last edited by Angry_Mushroom; 07-14-2015 at 03:31 AM. Reason: grammer derp pt.1
    gzinkl likes this.
    07-14-2015 03:31 AM
    I think many people here has pointed out one thing. iOS, Android or Windows Phone/Mobile, at the end of the day, it is still JUST A PHONE. There's no point worrying about which Platform to go to, because it is just a device. Yes, I know about Brand Loyalty, but who says that you can't enjoy multiple devices/platforms ? It's not like MS is gonna kill you just because you abandon WP for Android, heck, they don't even case, as long as you use their service. I mean, life is so much more about which phone platform you are using. If you feel like sticking with WP, go ahead, no one's gonna laugh at you just because you want to be different. If you feel like switching to Android/iOS, go ahead also, because Win10 is all about inclusiveness, no matter which platform you are using. But at the end of the day, you have to know this. All this are just gadgets/technologies that help us to accomplish tasks. Our lives do not (well, maybe some do) revolve around our phones/system we use. Do what makes you happy, because life is too short to worry about which system you want to use, as there are tons of things in the world to do, people to meet, and places to visit. Let the device be part of your life, making you happy, not YOUR life.
    07-14-2015 04:06 AM
    I am planning to switch not because Microsoft is not committed to extend the Windows Mobile life but more because they simply do not care if you have hardware issues with your phone. They only focus on software tweaks but firmware wise it's a mess.
    A lot of Lumia's got plagued from launch with issues, either ghost touch, screen ghosting, screen colour reproduction (purple tint / green tint), sound issues (2nd mic not working), camera issues (purple colour in the dark / low light videos), heat issues (low right corner of L930 for ex), signal issues (waves interference on Edge showing up on screen) and I really don't know if I must go forward. I am afraid if I try think more I will remember more. All these issues got fixed to some extent but it took so long. Some issues are still there.
    I own 3 Windows Phone, HTC 8X (was the most solid of all), Lumia 520 (sufficient for day to day use), Lumia 930 (a flagship mess).
    Knowing the history of Microsoft I have little confidence that they offer a premium flagship and premium support to it.
    07-14-2015 04:19 AM
    What my brain can't comprehend is why, every time on this site I see 'thinking of leaving WP' topics, it's 99% 'thinking of going to iOS'. Why not android? It's as if people have developed some form of fear that android will be bloated and horrible. I took the plunge, got an LG G4, and I cannot understand why anyone, in their right mind, would buy an iPhone 6 over it. They'd be paying more than me, but getting a more basic device without any swap SD/battery support and a far more confined ecosystem.
    What my brain can't comprehend is why people always think that their opinion is the one and only right one and everybody else must therefore be either dead wrong or braindead (or just plain stupid). I'm pretty sure that's how religion started thousands of years ago, back when Ugh and Agra were sitting in their cave grunting over the matter of what stick could possibly be better suited to use to kill Sluggy the mammoth.
    07-14-2015 05:42 AM
    5 years in the mobile market is a long time. We really have no idea what plans MS has at all as they tend to be fairly quiet about such things. So no one really can say what will happen between here and there.

As for what you can regret moving to iOS? Only that you're using an iPhone? No idea how good the MS apps are on iPhone but I'd assume they're good enough if not better than they currently are on WP. You won't be missing much other than the WP interface. Which is up to you to decide if that's an issue.

At least with iPhone there is not many apps that are missing on it (if any). If that's of any importance to you. You won't have that constant question of if or when an app will be updated.

Even with the release of W10 for mobile we have no idea, none, if any developer is at all excited about the idea of universal apps. There are just assumptions that developers should be excited based solely on the idea that Windows OS is on millions of computers, which is a large assumption based on people with a PC OS using cross platform apps. The other assumption is that people will want a WP because of this feature. Again, we don't know how many people are really that interested. Even with Continuum we, a feature many geeks like myself have wanted from a smartphone since the idea sprang to life, it's questionable how many people would use the feature.

On the whole there's just a lot of what unanswered questions currently. In my personal opinion, get an iPhone, wait to see what happens with W10. Go back if it shows positive signs.
    07-14-2015 05:43 AM
    Buy an Android, saved.
    07-14-2015 06:15 AM
    Buy Sony Xperia Z3.👈
    07-14-2015 06:16 AM
    Lg g4
    07-14-2015 06:20 AM
    Dear Microsoft,
    I have been a literal "fanboy" for Lumia devices and having it since I first bought my Lumia 800.
    I was impressed with the interface, offline navigation, Free music, Great camera etc etc.
    I have always bought phones like Lumia 925 and recently 930 which is your most advanced phones. As usual phones start off great. But the disappointing facts are that after 5-6 months it starts having some basic level problems like headphone jacks and microphones.
    My Lumia 930 after 5 months of purchase suddenly one day started giving me microphone issue (Let me tell you that i already had a similar experience with 925).
    The problem was primitive and i went to Microsoft care service center here in Lower Parel, Mumbai, India, to which they said it is a "Primary mic issue" and said it would need a change. To which I said OK and they changed the primary mic for which I had to wait for 2 hours. The phone still had similar issues so I returned immediately to the center and this time made me wait another 2 hours they said it is also a "secondary mic problem" and "primarty mic would only function when they change both, the primary and secondary mic" and that "secondary mic would also be required to be changed". Since they did not have secondary mic they asked me to wait another week. When the secondary mic arrived i was informed and so I went again and they made me wait another 2 hours and said, its a "motherboard problem" and they need a weeks time to figure it out. I bet they dont know what the hell is the actual problems. As a practicing surgeon, I do not have liberty of time to visit the center 10 times for a basic problem.
    My observations:
    1) Your high end phones have basic issues like microphone since years and you fail to rectify them
    2) Your service center guys are either poorly trained or these issues are extremely grave and they cant handle it. In any case it is pain to take your 5 months old high end phone and repeatedly go to service center 10 times
    3) I have lost faith in your lumia devices after good 5 years and henceforth just like many others who have raised this issue and you have never actually replied, I will be shifting to either androids or iphones.
    One lost Lumia fan
    07-14-2015 06:42 AM
107 1234 ...