Save me from going iPhone? Future of Windows phone, etc.

divyan

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
....What do you think the 5 year future for Windows 10 Mobile and Windows phone is? What can make me regret a move to iOS?

I am a BlackBerry fan. Had Bold 9900, Q10 and Z30. However couple of months back I switched to Lumia 930. In my opinion effect Z30 is much superior to L930 in may aspects ( Superb OS, possibility of using android apps, the hub etc, stereo speakers, excellent battery life ..I can go on forever). But the main reasons I moved to Lumia 930 is because of excellent camera and Here maps. So, I think there is no point in asking anyone to convince you to do anything.

If you are sure Iphone is the tool for you, go ahead and buy that. A tool is a tool after all. that is what a smartphone for me.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
What my brain can't comprehend is why, every time on this site I see 'thinking of leaving WP' topics, it's 99% 'thinking of going to iOS'. Why not android? It's as if people have developed some form of fear that android will be bloated and horrible. I took the plunge, got an LG G4, and I cannot understand why anyone, in their right mind, would buy an iPhone 6 over it. They'd be paying more than me, but getting a more basic device without any swap SD/battery support and a far more confined ecosystem.

In all fairness, I find the android UI is more practical, it eliminates some of the really frustrating things I had to put up with on WP, such as the inability to share certain e-mail attachments within the e-mail app (used to have to navigate to the relevant app then hit share by email) but at the same time the WP UI is more fresh, and I really miss the practicality of live tiles (far batter than widgets or static icons, even though most apps never took proper advantage of them)

Finally, people are always saying how WP apps seem unfinished compared to other platforms and whilst this is generally true, it's not a given fact. I have yet to find a YouTube app on android that's REMOTELY as good as MyTube on WP.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
What my brain can't comprehend is why, every time on this site I see 'thinking of leaving WP' topics, it's 99% 'thinking of going to iOS'. Why not android? It's as if people have developed some form of fear that android will be bloated and horrible. I took the plunge, got an LG G4, and I cannot understand why anyone, in their right mind, would buy an iPhone 6 over it. They'd be paying more than me, but getting a more basic device without any swap SD/battery support and a far more confined ecosystem.

In all fairness, I find the android UI is more practical, it eliminates some of the really frustrating things I had to put up with on WP, such as the inability to share certain e-mail attachments within the e-mail app (used to have to navigate to the relevant app then hit share by email) but at the same time the WP UI is more fresh, and I really miss the practicality of live tiles (far batter than widgets or static icons, even though most apps never took proper advantage of them)

Finally, people are always saying how WP apps seem unfinished compared to other platforms and whilst this is generally true, it's not a given fact. I have yet to find a YouTube app on android that's REMOTELY as good as MyTube on WP.

That you are wrong. For myself, I will move fully to Android if Windows 10 does not work out well. iPhone will be the last option ONLY if Android fails as well. Why? I really really cannot stand the rigidness of rows of icons after icons on the home screen of iOS. The OS is so stubborn that one cannot even move icons freely between home screens! This is also why I REALLY HATE the MIUI as well for Xiaomi phones.

Another thing I cannot stand about iOS: is so freaking hard to even watch different formats of videos on the iPhone! With my Note 4, I can simply drag and drop onto the phone, fire up MX Player, and voila! I can start enjoying different videos - MKV, RMVB, AVI, DivX, etc etc.... Cannot play an audio codec? No problem! Just get the codec from the XDA forum and things just work! On iPhone? Sorry... Cannot mean cannot.... Too bad you are using the "revolutionary" phones and OS.

That being said, I'm looking at Microsoft as well..... Stop being such a cry baby and limit the OS capabilities. Throw in more video & sound codecs. Improve the damn Music player - I cannot even play mp3 by folders?! Make share contracts to be available for all installed apps, without the intervention of the developers - I cannot even share youtube links to Facebook Messenger without the need to copy the URL links! Transform Windows Phone to be as versatile as Android and you may have the chance to be 2nd in place in the mobile phone market! And please, make sure no more Resuming and Reloading craps....

*End of Rant*

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you should ask your folks :winktongue:.

Joking aside, seriously you're on your own.

Other people are not using your phone on a day to day basis but you.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Why would I switch to an entirely new ecosystem because the creator of my current ecosystem has said that they will put more focus into my software and hardware from now on?

You, my friend, doesn't make sense at all.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
With all the news this week, I'm beginning to have less faith in MSFT and its willingness to support Windows 10 Mobile in the long run. Right now, I'm totally embedded in the Windows ecosystem - Surface RT, laptop, and Windows phone, but now that I have my doubts, I'm wondering if my loyalty will waver. What do you think the 5 year future for Windows 10 Mobile and Windows phone is? What can make me regret a move to iOS?

It looks like you like MS's products and services. If you and other jump ship simply because the future is uncertain, then you are helping to make failure a reality. You move to iOS now, you'll enjoy MS apps there. Then, after a while, you're going to miss WP UI, Cortana, easy music loading and a frickin' BACK button/key. Then there might not even by a Windows Phone to go back to because you and others have left the already small number of users. My suggestion, stick it out. Wait for the flagship phones. You love WP - get others to adopt it. Show them why it's great. And if for some reason MS decides to just kill off WP, then make your move to iPhone, but not before it. Only go when there's no choice. Here ar post of my journey into iOS:

When I left: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ap...e-november-14-my-experience-some-ranting.html

I haven't wrote a post on what it's like to be back, but I'm pretty happy with my L620. The battery lasts (if you go iPhone, you'll fully appreciate this), charging cables are available everywhere, thieves don't try to steal your phone, I'm back to LiveTiles, Cortana, easy music/photo loading and an awesome keyboard. The apps were aplenty on iOS, but really the only thing I miss are the banking/stock apps and that Simpsons game. Stay WP and help grow the number of users.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You will lose nothing by switching to iPhone and gain much in the way of apps, accessories, etc.

I am all-in Microsoft myself (PC, Surface, Outlook, OneDrive, Office) and made the switch several months back. Everything works seamlessly.

Understand this and your troubles will melt away: Microsoft does not care which phone you use. They just don't. They have made it so easy to abandon Windows Phone, if you so choose, and still have a premium experience with their apps and services. Stop waiting around for MS to get their mobile crap together and dive in! The water's fine. If you decide, once MS releases their flagship phones, to go back, you'll easily be able to sell your iPhone (they have great resale value). But I think you will like what you find out here.

Good luck!

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I'll keep it short:
I think the Windows mobile in 5 years will be great. But we don't live in 2020, so buy yourself a phone that fulfills most of your expectations.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
With all the news this week, I'm beginning to have less faith in MSFT and its willingness to support Windows 10 Mobile in the long run. Right now, I'm totally embedded in the Windows ecosystem - Surface RT, laptop, and Windows phone, but now that I have my doubts, I'm wondering if my loyalty will waver. What do you think the 5 year future for Windows 10 Mobile and Windows phone is? What can make me regret a move to iOS?

I am feeling the same way. As much as I won't want to go over to the Dark Side it seems that MSFT is giving me no choice. Since Apple usually releases a new iPhone in the fall and Windows 10 mobile is supposed to be released then along with a new flagship device I am going to wait and see the the immediate future holds. For me to stay every core app on Win 10 mobile has to work flawlessly and they cannot skimp on the device. I ask people I know that have iPhone's and when I ask them why they tell me because it works. It would be nice to say the same thing about Windows 10 mobile.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The two biggest hurdles facing Windows Mobile right now are:

1. Carriers - If Windows Mobile wants a chance to succeed, ANY future device released HAS to be on all four major US carriers and trained on how to actually use them so sales reps can at least attempt to make a case for suggesting them to customers instead of just recommending what is in their pocket which is usually the only phone OS they know about. Carrier reps are regularly less informed about the devices they are selling than their customers.
  2. Developers - Developers have to get on board and make the app integration as smooth as it is normally on iOS and Android. If I open a Twitter link in my email, it should open whatever Twitter app is installed on my device whether it is Twitter or Tweetium or something else. Instead it opens the Twitter website in the Edge browser. No, just no. I know Twitter API's are not the easiest to work with, especially for third party devs, but devs have got to stop taking shortcuts and releasing apps that only look good with basic functionality. I'm sorry but the best devs in the world focus on iOS and Android and until they stop leaving heaps of money on the table by ignoring Windows Mobile, that is not going to change.

Carriers I really couldn't give a crap about, they have way to much control on **** and have ****ed up WP since the beginning. MS needs to sell all their phones unlocked via webstore or brick and motor stores.

Hopefully more of these devs will come to their sense and don't pass up the opportunity that is universal apps, come on 1 billion ******* devices and they wont have an app, just plain dumbness to me.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Why would I switch to an entirely new ecosystem because the creator of my current ecosystem has said that they will put more focus into my software and hardware from now on?

You, my friend, doesn't make sense at all.

And that's more to the reason why we should move. MS services will be everywhere, from iOS to Android to Window mobile (if it can last that long). However, moving to a new platform will allow one to enjoy much more polished apps as well as app choices. If I ever move fully to Android, I will not miss my One Drive cloud services at all. And I will not miss Cortana as well because till date, I still can't enjoy Cortana for my region.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
And that's more to the reason why we should move. MS services will be everywhere, from iOS to Android to Window mobile (if it can last that long). However, moving to a new platform will allow one to enjoy much more polished apps as well as app choices. If I ever move fully to Android, I will not miss my One Drive cloud services at all. And I will not miss Cortana as well because till date, I still can't enjoy Cortana for my region.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Carriers I really couldn't give a crap about, they have way to much control on **** and have ****ed up WP since the beginning. MS needs to sell all their phones unlocked via webstore or brick and motor stores.

Hopefully more of these devs will come to their sense and don't pass up the opportunity that is universal apps, come on 1 billion ******* devices and they wont have an app, just plain dumbness to me.

Well without the carriers support, Windows Mobile is not going anywhere in the US as history has already shown. There are not enough MS stores around, or people that buy prefer to buy their devices online that can help bypass the carriers.

Also, with Windows 10 Mobile, MS has to run a Samsung style advertising campaign showing the benefits of the platform and integration with Windows 10 itself. If they do not show people there is a real reason to use their devices, they will make the challenge they are facing even larger.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

There won't be a Windows Phone/Mobile in 5 years.
That, however, should not worry you because of your Microsoft ecosystem. When I dumped WP for Android almost a year ago, I kept the entire Windows ecosystem intact because Microsoft has all of their services available on Android (and iOS). And while I can't vouch for how well Microsoft services work on Apple's tightly closed world, on Android at least they work pretty well. And with Cortana coming etc, you will literally be missing nothing from Windows Phone apart from the UI which you can even replicate, to some extent, with a Launcher.

The only thing I think will make you regret moving to iOS will be overpriced but underpowered devices running a boring-as-hell OS that looks the same to everyone else and doesn't give you any freedom and is entrenched with Apple apps and products that you can't get rid of (like Apple Music or the iWatch app etc). If you have a Windows ecosystem and enjoy Windows freedom, you will be better served on Android (but do avoid Samsung devices. Even if the S6Edge looks gorgeous. You won't want to deal with TouchWiz).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it the best out there?
It all depends on what one considers best. Some people might like a great camera, which the G4 definitely has. Others might like stock Android. Others might actually prefer certain OEM skins/launchers. I'd suggest visiting our sister site AndroidCentral if you're interested in Android devices.

For the record, the OP mentioned iOS, not Android.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
What I don't get is why people have to know the 5 year future of W10M NOW. Even in the case where W10M is shutdown today, more likely than not the worse case scenario is you are locked into some 2 year contract, best scenario are those people who buy off contract phones in which case you are free to move platform anytime you want when money permits. Either way nothing is forcing you to know the future of W10M NOW except some geek itch for new shiny hardware that needs to be scratched as your phone doesn't suddenly implode and stops working just because MS pulled the plug. So why worry about such trivia things?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720