Save me from going iPhone? Future of Windows phone, etc.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
As most of us optimists had thought. Slimming down of devices (definately needed), full integration and a single ecosystem!

I'm sure that there will be negative remarks in the so called tech publications, and I guess that's why this statement has been made.

Long live Win Mobile, no matter who makes them!

As for the pessimists.......go get your iPhones......

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I was a loyal Windows Phone PATRIOT from day one. You couldn't sway me.

Five years of being patient.
Five years of bungled update rollouts
Five years of delayed rollouts by carriers.
Five years of watching MS reinvent the wheel over and over instead of sticking to ONE plan.
Five years of dwindling growth (and don't tell me about these minor markets and developing markets because they don't mean anything to major markets like Australia US and UK)
Five years of developers having had enough and turning their backs.
Five years of the ecosystem shrinking to the point where we barely have any services/apps of note.
Five years of being a second class platform.

I'd had enough.
I switched to iPhone 3 months ago. When I sold my Lumia 1520 it was like dumping a girlfriend who had done nothing wrong. I sold my Surface too (although, I really want a SP3/4). And I still feel patriotic about Windows Phone.

But being on iOS means I have access to EVERYTHING. I'm part of a modern world which has services everywhere for everything. And it's not that I need 100 apps installed. I don't have many.

For example, Instagram updates approx once a WEEK. When's the last time we had it updated on WP? Oh that’s right it's still in BETA and we have to rely on third party apps for the real thing. Same with other apps such as Office, Shazaam, Tripview just to name a few (there's not much more I can name really, because WP DOESNT HAVE THEM!!!!).

Let's think about that. On WP, we are so toilet-level that no-name devs have to make apps to mimic the real experience. How much of a slap to the face by the industry is that, that that even needs to happen? That's absolutely embarrassing.

Now when I see a newspaper or advertisement, I don't need to worry about my app store being left out. Because it's NOT. I can book tickets for anything on my iPhone. I can be part of ANY transport system in practically ANY country. Just about EVERY single bank has a service on my iPhone. My workplace's network infrastructure (we employ approx 8000 people) supports iPhone and has apps for iOS. WP??? No one here even has one.

Look, Windows Phone IS AWESOME. The OS is flat-out mind-blowing to me. I feel it is LIGHT YEARS ahead of everything else.

But no developer interest = no services = NO ECOSYSTEM = NO POINT IN HAVING IT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. Forget your personal preferences folks; this is the reality of having a mobile platform, so that you can run services through it which interconnect into our daily lives. That’s the whole point. And Windows Phone has an ecosystem that no one, increasingly so, is interested in, on an OS which always feel like it's in beta.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. I want WP10 to come in and blow the roof off. But I really don't think it's going to happen and I feel really sad for the users hanging on after almost 6 years of having mud flung in their faces getting setup yet again for another failure.

In my eyes - Windows Phone / Mobile / whatever they want to call it next because they keep changing their roadmap / IS DEAD. It's OVER. Get rid of your dead weight Lumias and move on.

Sorry. But not sorry. And this is coming from a HUGE FAN of WP.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I tend to agree, but.my 1520 is far superior to any iPhone. Apps on WP are nonexistent or suck, so I just use IE - can't say I'm missing much, but a slicker experience perhaps...i don't really think W10 will change much - in fact the previews pretty much suck.

I like Wp BC its a great OS and i don't need a PC, with iPhone I would need a PC for many tasks...

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I tend to agree, but.my 1520 is far superior to any iPhone. Apps on WP are nonexistent or suck, so I just use IE - can't say I'm missing much, but a slicker experience perhaps...i don't really think W10 will change much - in fact the previews pretty much suck.

I like Wp BC its a great OS and i don't need a PC, with iPhone I would need a PC for many tasks...

I hate to say it, but no.

I've had so many Lumias including the 1520, and the best camera I've seen so far has been on this iPhone 6 plus I have now. I have been absolutely shocked at how good it is. And let's not start on the display, it's stunning.

The only things about the 1520 (which granted is a much older device which was brilliant when it was released and still stacks up strongly now) which are better than iPhone are:
- removable storage. I really miss that a lot. Other than that, the 1520 comes nowhere close. And I don't even like to admit that, but it's the truth.
- audio recording: Lumia 1520 at a concert or in nature flatout RULES.
- video recording: on a Lumia, absolutely gorgeous range and motion.

Look, it's great that MS are doing some new flagships, but having a monster phone means nothing without a thriving ecosystem for it to be part of. A mobile platform without an ecosystem and services is like a basketball court without hoops. Soon after these flagships are out, you guys will be annoyed at the same existing issues - a dying platform with no one even there watching to put out the engulfing flames.

Last edited:

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually encouraged by the recent developments and believe MS are committed to mobile. I think Microsoft is going to have the best implementation yet of a convergent OS that functions across different form factors from handset to desktop.

I have been using BlackBerry phones as my daily drivers for the past couple years, but the direction they are going with Android is making me take a serious look at Windows phones. I believe they are here to stay.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 822

Boris Gavrikov

May 5, 2015
Visit site
You don't need to be "saved". Microsoft have done everything for a comfort switch to iOS.
What made us choose Windows Phone?
- Exclusive services? They aren't exclusive now, you could use them on iOS and they works better on iOS. iOS has better Office, better OneDrive, better Outlook and OneNote. It even has new Halo games with Xbox Live achievements.
- Microsoft Ecosystem? You can use Smartglass and Phone Companion on iOS as well. iOS + Xbox + Windows is not worse then new Windows Phone / Mobile + Xbox + Windows.
- Design and UI/UX? iOS 9 is MUCH closer to the original Windows Phone then current Windows Phone / Mobile. iOS UI is so hierarchical without any "hamburgers" and with great dashboards on the top level of hierarchy (at least in Apple apps).
- Maybe you are a developer? Xamarin.iOS is MUCH closer to the desktop .Net framework then WinRT on Windows Phone 8.1 / Windows 10 Mobile. I mean, where are ObjectCache/MemoryCache, ServiceModel namespaces? Where are all the encodings? Why lots of methods from system classes are gone (can't convert DateTime to OAD and back without custom extensions)?

If Microsoft did such a great job to simplify our switch, why would we ignore this possibility?

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Five years of dwindling growth (and don't tell me about these minor markets and developing markets because they don't mean anything to major markets like Australia US and UK)

OK, so 9% market share in 500mil EU is nothing against 6% in Australia with 22mils people? Do I understand you correctly? :)

For example, Instagram updates approx once a WEEK. When's the last time we had it updated on WP? Oh that’s right it's still in BETA and we have to rely on third party apps for the real thing. Same with other apps such as Office, Shazaam, Tripview just to name a few (there's not much more I can name really, because WP DOESNT HAVE THEM!!!!).
Let's think about that. On WP, we are so toilet-level that no-name devs have to make apps to mimic the real experience. How much of a slap to the face by the industry is that, that that even needs to happen? That's absolutely embarrassing.
Now when I see a newspaper or advertisement, I don't need to worry about my app store being left out. Because it's NOT. I can book tickets for anything on my iPhone. I can be part of ANY transport system in practically ANY country. Just about EVERY single bank has a service on my iPhone.

Win 10 universal app is the answer. Bilions of Windows desktop users is something no developer can resist. To speak for myself, I don't feel lack of apps at all, it perfectly covers my needs and honestly I don't care using official apps if there are great alternatives, speaking about our beloved WP hero Rudy Huyn and others. ;-) As for banking, basically every single bank in our country has dedicated WP app.

In my eyes - Windows Phone / Mobile / whatever they want to call it next because they keep changing their roadmap / IS DEAD. It's OVER. Get rid of your dead weight Lumias and move on.

Every OS has strong and weak points, that's how it is, but saying that Win Mobile is dead is quite strong statement and seems to be just YOUR personal frustration mixed with self-made excuses for the move you've done, because many of the reasons you mentioned are arguable.
Wish you best luck with your new iPhone.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I hate to say it, but no.

I've had so many Lumias including the 1520, and the best camera I've seen so far has been on this iPhone 6 plus I have now. I have been absolutely shocked at how good it is. And let's not start on the display, it's stunning.

The only things about the 1520 (which granted is a much older device which was brilliant when it was released and still stacks up strongly now) which are better than iPhone are:
- removable storage. I really miss that a lot. Other than that, the 1520 comes nowhere close. And I don't even like to admit that, but it's the truth.
- audio recording: Lumia 1520 at a concert or in nature flatout RULES.
- video recording: on a Lumia, absolutely gorgeous range and motion.

Look, it's great that MS are doing some new flagships, but having a monster phone means nothing without a thriving ecosystem for it to be part of. A mobile platform without an ecosystem and services is like a basketball court without hoops. Soon after these flagships are out, you guys will be annoyed at the same existing issues - a dying platform with no one even there watching to put out the engulfing flames.

Still doesn't help as I get bored by iOS by two swipes across the screen. I have issues with Windows Phone but when I get back to Android I instantly get happier with my Windows hahah.. I don't know why exactly.. I love the freedom of Android OS, but Windows its just something special. Only thing that sucks for me is the apps of course. Good thing is that I don't use them :D therefore spend more time in the real world :D

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I love Nokia phones due to their built quality,durability. since they released
Nokia 5800 Xpress music. to at last 808 pureview.....i used Symbian phones including Nokia 5233, Nokia n8, Nokia 808,....although that was history now.

Only point to say that
If Nokia and Microsoft didn't make partnership together..........may be I wont buy Lumia phone.....
But I refused to buy Lumia with windows phone 7.5.bcz they sucks.

I currently use Lumia 1320 and 625 as wp and iPhone 5s and galaxy s4.

I just refused to buy Lumia flagship now.
Bcz with lumia flagship what will I get.?
Any big os features that I hugely miss on my Lumia 1320.......except camera capabilities. WP experience remains same. Also WP flagships lacks many features that iPhone and android flagships offers. As wp os itself lack many things.

Also wp runs very smoothly on mid range Lumia 1320. no problems anywhere.it also has good big hd screen.watching movies is so enjoyable. Also doing texts, email, using office, os simplicity and smoothness.that's why I use it mostly.
You don't need to spend too much money to get smooth performance on WP.
That's why Lumia remains all about low and mid range popularity in some market till now.
WP have main problem is lacking of app count, and app choices.
WP is for people who just are casual users
Who just use their phones for call,sms,email, some social activities.
But for gaming. no thanks.

WP needs to improve more to stand with ios and android..as os itself lack many features, still now.
That's why wp flagship struggles to make their impact in whole world as of now.

As for android I didn't get consistent performance on my gs4 as it lags and freezes sometime.
that's why I don't use it mostly. I cant say whether new android flagship like lg g4, gs6 etc. performs well or not bcz I haven't used them.as gs4 is few years old and it's hardware.
But as for iPhone 5s I would rather say its a great device except its screen size.
I did enjoy it most of the time as for gaming, using apps.great performance.
No issues anywhere.

Anyway But we cant tell that how windows 10 mobile will make impact on smartphone industry.that's why I used still now, as of now that type of phrases in above sentences.
Will it attract more developers or not. That would be a long process. As of now you can switch other platform then see if you find windows 10 is good then switch to wp.
I would suggest if you are casual user like me then wp is good , or if you care about apps and games then ios and android.
But for still I recommend ios, wp , android as sequence.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
As for android I didn't get consistent performance on my gs4 as it lags and freezes sometime.
that's why I don't use it mostly. I cant say whether new android flagship like lg g4, gs6 etc. performs well or not bcz I haven't used them.as gs4 is few years old and it's hardware.

I am 115% certain that the root cause of all your problems with the Galaxy S4 isn't Android but Samsung. TouchWiz, Samsung's flavor of the Android UI, is buggy, slow, a resource hog, and behaves exactly the way you mentioned: it renders the phone practically unusable after a while. In my experiences stock Android performs so much better on any Smartphone that I would never ever get one with a custom UI, be that Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC, Xiaomi, Huawei, etc.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I am 115% certain that the root cause of all your problems with the Galaxy S4 isn't Android but Samsung. TouchWiz, Samsung's flavor of the Android UI, is buggy, slow, a resource hog, and behaves exactly the way you mentioned: it renders the phone practically unusable after a while. In my experiences stock Android performs so much better on any Smartphone that I would never ever get one with a custom UI, be that Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC, Xiaomi, Huawei, etc.

If that was correct then my Nexus wouldn't start to lag.. It's super good first three months but then not even factory reset would help.. I'm not complaining tho, just saying :p

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I’m so sick of the urban myth of the alleged Android lag that seems to be activated automatically on every Android device after three/six/nine months of usage (that is most commonly spread on Windows Phone or iOS fan sites such as this one here) that I’m not even going to dignify that with an answer.

Theri0n

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
While it?s free for iOS where you can edit and create documents without 365 subscription.

Any new business-related service or application by MS is initially released for iOS and not every time for Windows.

Is this gentle way of killing Windows Phone/Mobile sales? Should I dump my Windows laptop and phone switching to Macbook, iPad and iPhone?

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I?m so sick of the urban myth of the alleged Android lag that seems to be activated automatically on every Android device after three/six/nine months of usage (that is most commonly spread on Windows Phone or iOS fan sites such as this one here) that I?m not even going to dignify that with an answer.

Lol it's no myth, I used and use Android my self since ever. No need to defend your self in this case. I also couldn't believe it that a Nexus would ever lag, factory reset, no apps, free ram.. Same thing

Last edited:

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
OK, so 9% market share in 500mil EU is nothing against 6% in Australia with 22mils people? Do I understand you correctly? :)

In comparison to the other two platforms, these figures are irrelevant. You can pull whatever stats you like, but developer reaction and the spate of constant negative news this year, combined little to no attention anywhere else, paints the truth as blatantly as it can. That this thread, and so many others in so many forums exist is a testament to the reality of the situation.

Win 10 universal app is the answer. Bilions of Windows desktop users is something no developer can resist. To speak for myself, I don't feel lack of apps at all, it perfectly covers my needs and honestly I don't care using official apps if there are great alternatives, speaking about our beloved WP hero Rudy Huyn and others. ;-) As for banking, basically every single bank in our country has dedicated WP app.

No, it's not the answer. There no longer is one, because it's just too late. Maybe if this had been done back when WP8.0 was initially released it would be, but not now. It's just too late. Developers and the public don't care AT ALL about this platform. You don't feel the lack of apps because you've probably never been part of an ecosystem where so many services are available to you to choose from. You've climatised to the extremely limited selection you have available to you. I used to do the same.

Every OS has strong and weak points, that's how it is, but saying that Win Mobile is dead is quite strong statement and seems to be just YOUR personal frustration mixed with self-made excuses for the move you've done, because many of the reasons you mentioned are arguable. Wish you best luck with your new iPhone.

Yes, I'm frustrated. I'm angry that MS stuffed this up. I wanted to believe in them, I hung on for a long time. For gods sake even Paul Thurrott has distanced himself from WP (but is yet to abandon it), don't you think THAT is saying something? He's been the most patriotic and vocal person in the whole community!

It's not self-made excuses - it's FACT. I used to have the SAME counter-arguments as you've expressed, UNTIL I moved off WP. No one is interested - IS FACT. Developers are not being swayed by unified apps - is FACT: were this strategy happening for iOS, developers in DROVES would already have apps available BEFORE the OS came out of beta. What have we seen happen during the build-up for W10? Developers DROPPING their support!!! LOL are you kidding me?

W10 as a consumer and eventually corporate experience - will succeed, and it'll be excellent at that. I have great optimism for W10 in that context. On phones - not going to happen, even though the OS on phones WILL be amazing. But again - the reality of no community support (and I speak of the GREATER mobile community, not just WP centric, and also the market itself). Remember this is not a post from a hater - I LOVE WP more than most! But boy do I feel for the people left over, clinging for dear life to this platform which is burning in flames around them hoping for MS to deliver a miracle which clearly, isn't going to come. The window for potential, excuse the pun, is well and truly closed.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
With all the news this week, I'm beginning to have less faith in MSFT and its willingness to support Windows 10 Mobile in the long run. Right now, I'm totally embedded in the Windows ecosystem - Surface RT, laptop, and Windows phone, but now that I have my doubts, I'm wondering if my loyalty will waver. What do you think the 5 year future for Windows 10 Mobile and Windows phone is? What can make me regret a move to iOS?

I am on iPhone and honestly the OS Is not bad but I am also coming back to windows phone.

Simple things such as a decline button that works consistently when calls come
Through as well as universal volume settings and better email management not to
Mention the fact Apple
Treats its users like children...I miss my windows phone.

Yes the apps do work nicely but at the same time I
Am seeing the same polish come to the windows 10 apps so I am not too worried about them personally.

However I am noticing lags and crashes with apps as well.

I definitely recommend holding out with windows phone. I am glad I got this iPhone 6 free and it was a good experience but I am ready to return home to windows phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I?m so sick of the urban myth of the alleged Android lag that seems to be activated automatically on every Android device after three/six/nine months of usage (that is most commonly spread on Windows Phone or iOS fan sites such as this one here) that I?m not even going to dignify that with an answer.

Used an htc one m9 recently. Nice hardware. Immediately noticed lag in transitions. Even android enthusiasts will report and acknowledge that lag can be and is present from time To time and it is also largely dependent on what android you buy and the overall UI.

ONLY android fans who don't want to acknowledge any shortcomings and try to pass it off as an urban legend made by the hating windows and iOS fans want to dispute. That's fine you don't have to dignify it with a response.

I let my own experience speak for me and you let yours speak for you

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Used an htc one m9 recently. Nice hardware. Immediately noticed lag in transitions. Even android enthusiasts will report and acknowledge that lag can be and is present from time To time and it is also largely dependent on what android you buy and the overall UI.

ONLY android fans who don't want to acknowledge any shortcomings and try to pass it off as an urban legend made by the hating windows and iOS fans want to dispute. That's fine you don't have to dignify it with a response.

I let my own experience speak for me and you let yours speak for you

There's lag on Android depending on the phone brand. The heavier the Android skin, the higher the chances of lag. On Android 5.0.2 Vista (aka Lollipop) it's particularly bad because Google messed up the RAM management.
I refused the Lollipop update on my Z3C (and will likely refuse future ones until that bloody Material Design gets a Dark Theme) and the only time I had lag was after I spent an afternoon messing around with things.

But on the likes of Samsung (specially on Samsung) the lag shows up after a while much thanks to the overload of the skin. But the "Android lags" is as much true as Windows Phone lags. And God knows my 930 resumes a lot...

(Also..."sent from my iPhone" Micah? But...your precious Lumias...;P)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb