Windows Phone Recovery Tool is offline!

Mihai Gherghelescu

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
what?

Lumia Software Recovery Tool

Whenever you try to "unbrick" your device or downgrade to Win8.1, the Windows Phone Recover Tool will throw the "Unable to connect to remote server".

Checking the log files, you can see:

2015-07-13 14:54:32Z | 4804 (WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool) | 0x00000004 | WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.exe | Microsoft.WindowsPhoneRecoveryTool.Framework.IAsyncDelegateCommand | Error | | <!CDATA[[System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 131.228.121.45:443

For some reason, 131.228.121.45 pinpoints to www . caresuite . nokia . com; trying to access the website directly makes the browser think there is a DNS issue, though the IP can be resolved to its domain name.

And the Lumia Software Recovery Tool does not work on newer Lumia phones.

Currently stuck with a Lumia 640 that's in a gears / sad smiley face loop without the possibility to downgrade to 8.1 since WPTR can't connect to download the OS image.

kanrakuuuu

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Ah :/ I had 8.1 on my PC already, so didn't have to download anything, and it's already reverted back now. Annoying that it seems you need to be online just for the program to let you install it when you already have it, but never mind, no big deal.

Hope the servers speed up soon.

Mihai Gherghelescu

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Ah :/ I had 8.1 on my PC already, so didn't have to download anything, and it's already reverted back now. Annoying that it seems you need to be online just for the program to let you install it when you already have it, but never mind, no big deal.

Hope the servers speed up soon.

Just need to keep on clicking on "Retry" every 40-50 downloaded MB.

By the way, do you know the path where the image is stored? I'd like to keep a copy of it, just in case.

kanrakuuuu

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Don't know if it'll be the same for you, but on my PC it's C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products, then \RM-1045 as it's for the 930. ProgramData is normally a hidden folder so you'll need to make sure they're displayed. Hope that helps!

Mihai Gherghelescu

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Don't know if it'll be the same for you, but on my PC it's C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products, then \RM-1045 as it's for the 930. ProgramData is normally a hidden folder so you'll need to make sure they're displayed. Hope that helps!

Got it. I was expecting to see a specific folder. If it's under the RM-<number> folder, easy to find.

WP8.1 failes copied for safe keeping. Time to try and break the phone again :)

Much obliged,
Mihai

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss