can i hard reset my phone before installing windows 10?

Chirag Anand

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
i want to install windows 10 mobile build 10166 on my lumia 525 ( daily driver) and its on lumia denim. so, should i hard reset it first for windows 10 update?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
As a heads up my 640 was stuck on zero trying to update and I tried to hard reset and my phone got stuck in a boot loop with the frown face
I had to flash back to 8.1 then it updated to 10166 no problem

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
so i should hard reset my phone.

I was saying after being stuck on zero the hard reset made my phone get caught in the boot loop so I would avoid that and just go back to 8.1

If u hard reset u could potentially get caught in the boot loop. Just was telling u to be cautious because that's what happen to me

Chirag Anand

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I was saying after being stuck on zero the hard reset made my phone get caught in the boot loop so I would avoid that and just go back to 8.1

If u hard reset u could potentially get caught in the boot loop. Just was telling u to be cautious because that's what happen to me

Thanks buddy. i understood very well. but just incase if i first of all hard reset my phone first then reinstall windows insider app only. And then install windows 10 build. will it be okay?

Rich Reeves

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would recommend a hard reset AFTER you've updated to Windows 10. This seems to clear out the cache and made things run far more smoothly for me on Win10 on my 1020.

(I actually used the windows phone recovery tool, upgraded to the latest 8.1 the hard reset, re-added Win Insider, upgraded to Windows 10 10166 and then hard reset again - works far better than the same build had before)

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks buddy. i understood very well. but just incase if i first of all hard reset my phone first then reinstall windows insider app only. And then install windows 10 build. will it be okay?

The insider app isn't the problem there's a upgrade bug or something Imo. Hard resetting can still potentially give u the boot loop issue if u are on 10149 trying to go forward as it was in my case before u even get the chance to reinstall insider

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I also did a hard reset first. This is how I updated to 10166. No problems. This has the benefit of starting from a cleaner state, meaning WP isn't required to save and restore all your app data as part of the update process, which can make the update complete notably sooner, particularly if you have a lot of apps.

IMHO flashing the device from the PC offers the most reliable experience, but since the insider preview can't be had that way, a hard reset before AND after the update is the second best choice. The first hard reset gets rid of most apps, but not those that are installed during initial setup, which you must go through to at least install the insider preview app. The second hard reset after updating gets rid of those apps as well.

If you're only going to do one hard reset, do it after the update.

Last edited:

Chirag Anand

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I also did a hard reset first. This is how I updated to 10166. No problems. This has the benefit of starting from a cleaner state, meaning WP isn't required to save and restore all your app data as part of the update process, which can make the update complete notably sooner, particularly if you have a lot of apps.

IMHO flashing the device from the PC offers the most reliable experience, but since the insider preview can't be had that way, a hard reset before AND after the update is the second best choice. The first hard reset gets rid of most apps, but no those that are installed during initial setup, which you must go through to at least install the insider preview app. The second hard reset after updating gets rid of those apps as well.

If you're only going to do one hard reset, do it after the update.

I have 70 apps installed on my lumia 525. So i would love to do dual hard reset i.e before and after the update. thanks a lot folks for you help and reviews.

Nam Long

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I recommend hard reset first and upgrade . In my case after going to W10 and reset like i nornally would do , some system settings became unavailable ( Touch setting ) , even through link from web . So i went back to 8.1 , clean , get all the system settings and go to w10 , It is really great now abeit the unavailability of some apps in Store ( Lumia collection and Pic Arts ... )
For the processor of Lumia 525 , i am using my 520 as daily driver and facing no problem using simple tasks ( mail , media , web surfing ..) . I don't play games though .

Chirag Anand

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I recommend hard reset first and upgrade . In my case after going to W10 and reset like i nornally would do , some system settings became unavailable ( Touch setting ) , even through link from web . So i went back to 8.1 , clean , get all the system settings and go to w10 , It is really great now abeit the unavailability of some apps in Store ( Lumia collection and Pic Arts ... )
For the processor of Lumia 525 , i am using my 520 as daily driver and facing no problem using simple tasks ( mail , media , web surfing ..) . I don't play games though .

Even I don't play games. Okay now backing up contacts only coz. That's the only thing I need.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually, you don't need to backup contacts. Your contacts are in the cloud. When you log in with the same account, your contacts are automatically synced with your phone.
I'd also recommend not restoring anything from backup (except text messages if you want), otherwise the hard resetting makes little sense.

Chirag Anand

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Actually, you don't need to backup contacts. Your contacts are in the cloud. When you log in with the same account, your contacts are automatically synced with your phone.
I'd also recommend not restoring anything from backup (except text messages if you want), otherwise the hard resetting makes little sense.
Definitely!

Chirag Anand

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Finally installed windows 10 mobile build 10166. It took 4 hrs 30 minutes to complete installation.
  • hard reset on wp8.1.
  • downloading update took 2 hr approx.(820 MB) internet speed was 100-150KBPS(in india)
  • installing update took approx 2 hrs on 1ghz dual core processor & 1GB ram(lumia 525)
  • again hard reset took half an hour
After that it was all beautiful.
Now downloading apps updating others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs