What function will the search button get?

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
the button with the magnifier had loads of features in Windows Phone 8.0 which were abandoned in its successor.
I never understood why this had to happen it might still be a great feature for all apps to use.
As of now in Windows Phone 8.1 the search button is nothing but a replacement for the IE and the Bing page.
I cannot think that MS would like to keep it that way i.e. producing phones with a useless button.
So what function will be attributed to it?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
In Windows Phone 8.1, the search navigation button still has "features", including:
- launch Cortana for quick voice commands (if Cortana is available) by holding onto the button; from there Reminders, Appointments, and other Cortana-related capabilities (which are a lot) can be deployed
- launch Bing search
- search for contacts, files and media in the phone

I can not recall exactly what features it had in Windows Phone 8.0, but so far I think the feature in Windows Phone 8.1 is more exact, trimmed and focused.

As to how this would appear in the final build of Windows 10, we'll have to wait.

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, doesn't a QR code browse the web ? And isn't that what bing or Cortana (both called from the search button) do ? :p

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
hm... I don't really think so because you have already arrived at what you want. All you need to do is read out the code...

If you could read the code directly with your eyes, then great; but most of us can't read QR Codes. It would be like encountering an entirely new word, after which we would get a dictionary and then look for the meaning of that new word. We don't want the code; we want what it means and that's what we're searching for.

But we're now going into semantics - an endless cycle.

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I guess it depends from the point of view.

I was surprised not to find a QR code on Windows Mobile 10's search button. Even tho I may be only used it one/two times on 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12