Why is my Outlook Mail account giving me the error - 0x801901f4?

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Outlook Mail accounts - 0x801901f4

I put 10166 onto my Lumia 920. I performed a hard reset after, then added my main Microsoft Account to the phone during the initial setup of the OS.

After insuring that the phone OS and store apps were fully updated, I went into Outlook Mail. When I clicked on "add account" and selected "Outlook.com" -- I put in my secondary Microsoft Account's email address and password. The Outlook Mail app then gives me error code 0x801901f4. I can't see what I'm doing wrong here, so I figured that I'd toss this out to the community to see if anyone has any thoughts on what's going on here?

Thanks!

Benji Gledhill

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Outlook Mail accounts - 0x801901f4

HI !

I've also been getting this error the past 2 days, thing is it is with my main account, my phone was setup fine, but for some reason it's not signing into the store, onedire (for the photo app) and my email.

Funny thing is i keep getting an SMS with an ms link (go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=324047) followed by what lookfs to be a 7 digit security code, but the link just goes to a help page ... so maybe something to do with an authentication step ???

On lumia 930 purchased on thursday, updated all the way to 10166 then hard reset and used the backup restore from ly 925 on 10166.

Cheers !

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Hi Benji,

I'm glad that you not only ran into this problem but found a viable workaround for yourself! Unfortunately, I do not have a backup from a comparable phone to use to get around this. The error code suggests that the Outlook Mail and/or Windows 10 "accounts" functionality is still seriously broken.

Enjoy your time with Win10M - it does look better. I just hope that Microsoft releases a fix for this issue and/or a newer build that corrects this problem, itself, sometime soon.

-GW

fadetobolivia

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for posting this, I'm having this exact same issue as well. While its a relief to know it's not specific to me, I am anxious to find a solution.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I've had this issue with earlier builds and its reappeared for me with the latest also. It seems that by adding secondary outlook accounts to the phone, in addition to the main outlook account, the system gets confused and quasi-attaches the phone to the secondary account, for purposes of logging into the Store, OneDrive, etc. This also causes the main outlook address to become dislodged and you can't get it to sync or get new email. I tried a few things which worked with prior builds.

1. First, I logged into Outlook from my pc, with my main account, checked to see if I could find my phone. I can and I can remotely ring it, etc.
  2. I then logged out, logged back in using my secondary outlook ID (the one that has hijacked my phone). However, my phone does not show up under this account's settings on the desktop side.
    • Previously, I have been able to get back to the proper settings by deleting the subaccount from within the phone's outlook settings, then soft resetting and then logging in to my main account. When this worked, I was able then to reinstall the subaccount which then operated well without hijacking the phone. The issue seems triggered by either a new Build or one of the recent updates to the Outlook Mail App.
    • Alternatively, I logged onto my main account on my desktop, deleted the phone from my list of devices. Logged out, logged back into my secondary account, then added the phone to my list of devices. Then deleted it. Logged out of the subaccount, logged in to the main account, added the phone and then was able to soft reset the phone and log in through my main account.
    • A lot of effort, but the alternative of rolling back to 8.1 then rolling forward to a clean install would take more.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

FWIW, I went ahead and deleted the subaccount from within Outlooks settings, soft resetted, and then was able to login to all my main account programs from the phone, including Outlook, OneDrive and the Store. I then re-added the subaccount and all seems back to normal.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Those are some nice and detailed instructions! Thanks a lot for taking the time to share them. Unfortunately, they did not help me. I cleared my main Microsoft Account of any backups as well as removed the 920 from it. Nothing worked, sadly. (Note: I did check my secondary Microsoft Account and it has no Phones associated with it at all.)

I've rolled the 920 back to 8.1 and am reinstalling 10166 onto it to see if this was an OS install issue. :)

fadetobolivia

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

For my part, I could even so much as delete my device from my MS account page.

I ended up switching my primary account alias, and then doing a phone reset. Upon reset, I used my new primary alias, and it worked fine.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I found THE solution!!! No resetting or messing around required.

Open outlook settings on phone (the little gear symbol bottom left)
wp_ss_20150719_0001.png
click Accounts
click Add Advanced set-up
click Exchange ActiveSync

follow this:
Server address: s.outlook.com
Domain: <leave empty>
Username: Your email address
Password: Your password
TLS/SSL encryption required: Yes

You secondary outlook account will now sync and your contacts and emails will appear! This is basically the same as the automatic setup you have been trying, but there is a bug with it! Don't forget to Thank me for it :)

Last edited:

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Wow - Nice find! I'm in the process of rolling back to Windows Phone 8.1 again after the most recent install of 10166 didn't go as smoothly as it should have on the 920. Thank goodness for the fact that I am, indeed, using a backup device. Win 10 Mobile is in far better shape than when it started but bugs like this clearly illustrate that there is much work that does, in fact, in need to happen before the RTM release is locked down. That's a nasty/annoying bug right there since no one else has documented it until now.

Here's to hoping that others find this thread so that your answer can be used until the Win10M team resolves this bug.

Thanks for sharing, MrWhiteman!

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Trust me I've been working on it all day, all my contacts and important emails are on that account.

I forgot to say mate that when I first installed 10166, literally nothing worked, none of the apps worked and the Start screen kept getting stuck on the loading screen. I left it overnight connected to Wifi, set everything to automatic update and the Store fixed all the apps except Here Drive and Here Maps, which can now be uninstalled. There is now Microsoft Maps and there will soon be a Microsoft GPS. 10166 now works completely smoothly when set-up correctly.

I am now loving 10166 and have NO problems. Just give it a day or two on Wifi and it will automatically fix all the problems through the store etc.

Last edited:

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Yep! And confirmed that this did resolve the issue for me. I actually feel kind of silly for not thinking of this sooner, myself. I looked right at those settings and just..blanked out. Sigh. Thanks, regardless, for sharing out this excellent slice of knowledge for our community!

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

I found that of I opened the Windows Feedback app and signed in, it fixed the account issue in all the other apps.

David Laplante

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

Loggin into the Windows Feedback app fixed it all for me!

Had all of the symptoms described by others but everything is back to normal for me now.

PaulWegs

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Anyone had a problem where the store won't automatically update any of the apps, including the Store app itself not getting the latest update?
I'm on a L930 with build 10166

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Loggin into the Windows Feedback app fixed it all for me!

Had all of the symptoms described by others but everything is back to normal for me now.
I have no idea what problem you folks had, but this most certainly does not fix anything on my Lumia 920. Don't get me wrong: I do appreciate the suggestion for a "fix" but this is invalid for me.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Anyone had a problem where the store won't automatically update any of the apps, including the Store app itself not getting the latest update?
I'm on a L930 with build 10166
I'd suggest opening a new thread as that's likely to not be related to the issue that I've reported on this thread. If you open a new thread, others who have experienced that issue can lend a hand. Good luck!

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I just hard reset my 920, got the 0x801901f4 error in Outlook Mail again. Opened the Windows Feedback app, closed it, went back to try to add an account in Outlook Mail and... No change/improvement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb