I can't wait for the next build of win10 mobile

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Personally on build 166 after the latest core app updates my icon is behaving quite nicely email is behaving and that is 8.1 > 149 > 166 without 1 hard reset. What is your experience? Just curious.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Actually had a question. You said you didn't hard reset at all... How do you think it'll play out on a lower end device like the 520??

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Actually had a question. You said you didn't hard reset at all... How do you think it'll play out on a lower end device like the 520??

I really don't know, I don't have a 520 to play with, maybe a att 635 in a couple of weeks, but.. With these last core updates my icon has went from scrambling eggs to it runs pretty cool on standby. It still gets pretty warm running the edge browser but a store update may fix that too. There no way to really know without trying the build yourself, one thing to consider before u bail in, the 520 have 512mb ram, the icon have 2gb ram.. If you are adventurous and try build 166 you can always roll back to 8.1 at least you won't hafta wait for the core updates that settled my icon down lol. And no not one hard reset. Honestly. My icon is my daily driver and I bailed in after Daniel's review of build 149. Battery drain was high but stuck with it without a hard reset because of posts on the forum of mms problems after a hard reset. My icon is now a transformed animal and I can't wait for the next build because it can only be better lol. My whole family is getting windows phone over android cuz of the win 10 preview on my phone. I think that's dam kewl.

Last edited:

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I really don't know, I don't have a 520 to play with, maybe a att 635 in a couple of weeks, but.. With these last core updates my icon has went from scrambling eggs to it runs pretty cool on standby. It still gets pretty warm running the edge browser but a store update may fix that too. There no way to really know without trying the build yourself, one thing to consider before u bail in, the 520 have 512mb ram, the icon have 2gb ram.. If you are adventurous you can always roll back to 8.1

Yeah its the downside of a low end phone (getting a 640 soon anyway). Sorry I didn't answer original question.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
@ ml10 I have a att go phone 520 on the way.. I will post my impressions of build 166 on it tomorrow if that soon enough. Your concerns are understandable dual core processor vs quad core.. I'll try to hook u up by tomorrow evening with hands on impressions however I cannot replicate the steps on my icon. I can't step from 8.1 > 149 > 166 on the 520

Last edited:

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
149 did not work well on my 520. I went 8.1>166, I did do a hard reset and I did not restore from backup. Let us know how it works without a hard reset. They have been updating a lot of apps the last several nights. I've been doing soft resets after many app updates.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
@ ml10 I have a att go phone 520 on the way.. I will post my impressions of build 166 on it tomorrow if that soon enough. Your concerns are understandable dual core processor vs quad core.. I'll try to hook u up by tomorrow evening with hands on impressions however I cannot replicate the steps on my icon. I can't step from 8.1 > 149 > 166 on the 520
Thanks! That'd be great!

Josh Keisling

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have 166 on my icon 149 was very usable with just a handful of bugs all of which have been fixed with build 166 I did not do a reset after either update and have had no issues so far after 7 days of using it

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have 166 on my icon 149 was very usable with just a handful of bugs all of which have been fixed with build 166 I did not do a reset after either update and have had no issues so far after 7 days of using it

I've used it a little longer than 7 but I agree this build has been the best so far. It has its quirks though. I found a new one last night running Photosynth for the first time. Just looking around the interface caused the battery to signal too low and shut down my 1520. The phone was on the charger at the time and when it restarted, it showed almost full. Ok, so I won't use that app. lol. But for most everything else, its been a decent daily driver. Apps run faster on 10 than 8.1

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I would agree with you except on the Lumia 830 no matter how many builds I have tried, the core Music / Groove app will simply stop working, especially when you hit pause, and the only way to get it working again is a reboot of the phone.

I use the 830 for an MP3 player in my car, so its mega annoying.

I did tell the dev team, but its getting late in the game and that needs to be fixed.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
w10 will work on 512mb devices (with some limitations), but it would be best to use a device with 1gb or more :)

1gb devices will be the new low-ends' soon

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I have both a 635 and 640. Both SD400, different memory.

640 is so much faster. The 1GB RAM really makes a difference over 512MB which is what is in the 520. Apps remain in memory a lot more and you rarely see resuming.

The 635 generally works ok but Edge in particular crashes a lot. (When you look on the Desktop Edge at memory usage you can see if often goes into > 200 MB for sites, and on the phone when it does that things go bad.)

640 feels (yes, that's subjective), faster than 8.1. But 635 feels quite a bit slower - there are pauses and delays as tasks get page swapped. Of course you're getting more functionality in a lot of apps, and things are probably still being optimized for mobile, so it should get better.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Was thinking exactly that, earlier today. BTW...that is one of my favorite commercials.
OK, everyone say it with me and click the heels of those ruby slippers..."Hey Cortana, Hey Cortana, Hey Cortana".

Yes, I miss being able to say that. I mean a lot. I feel like I'm on android without it. Maybe it'll be in the next build again but when is the next build? Anybody close to Gabe?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss