Windows 10 Mobile Build 10166: Nokia Lumia 635 Details

Webmaster2015

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Don't hate me for making this topic. There's a reason:

I've been poking around this forum for the past few weeks and trying to determine if the latest build (10166) is stable enough to install on my Nokia Lumia 635 512 MB (my only phone). I could not find information on the subject that was detailed enough.

I would like some input from other members who have 635 phones regarding these points:

Does the OS install properly on the phone (first taking the precautions to restore the phone with the MS utility)
Should I remove the SIM card when installing, just to be safe (I know removing the SIM on a 635 is a pain :wink:)?
Does the Wifi work?
Does the Phone and messaging portion of the phone work?
Does the phone go through start/restart crash cycles?
Does the phone or apps go through any periodic or unexpected crashes?
Does the phone hang up for extended periods of time?
Does the phone heat up too much?
How long is the battery discharge time?
Do the apps in the store work (especially the new office apps that were released 2 days ago)?
How complete is the new non-beta store?
Does the phone have any bugs with an outlook.com account?
Can you restore your phone to WP 8.1 successfully?
Are there any other important glitches that I should know about?
Most importantly: is this build degenerative?

I would appreciate it if someone would help me out with this.

Thanks.

-Webmaster2015

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I fear that nobody can give you this detailed info, some people will have "no" issues, some have lots of issues and some will have a few issues.
And on most questions the answer will be yes or no. But we did not get many reports of "heating up" or "extensive" battery drain and most times a hard reset will solve some issues but you could get other issues back.

Basically this build is the most "stable" we got but it's not perfect and if you checked the forum you should know this.

Good luck

Lester Berg

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I had to do a hard reset under 8.1 and restore my phone before Windows Insider / Update would register that the technical preview was ready for install.

I've had it installed for a few days and under basic phone / text /here drive+ it seems to work fine. I have NOT used any other features except the camera so YMMV. My phone does get a little hot when charging, but it was doing that before installing the W10TP.

My only current issue is that I can't figure out how to install Store (Beta)

[edit]
Does the Wifi work? Yes
Does the Phone and messaging portion of the phone work? Yes
Does the phone go through start/restart crash cycles? No
Does the phone or apps go through any periodic or unexpected crashes? No more than before.
Does the phone hang up for extended periods of time? No
Does the phone heat up too much? See above - previously existing condition
How long is the battery discharge time? about the same
Do the apps in the store work (especially the new office apps that were released 2 days ago)? Can't get store (beta) to load
How complete is the new non-beta store? haven't used it enough to tell
Does the phone have any bugs with an outlook.com account? Not on my phone
Can you restore your phone to WP 8.1 successfully? Haven't tried
Are there any other important glitches that I should know about? Some phone (including mine) are trying to re-download all the apps that were previously on the phone, even though they're already there. in my case many f these error out and don't update
Most importantly: is this build degenerative?It doesn't seem perverted to me... :)

Les

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I would like some input from other members who have 635 phones regarding these points:

I would appreciate it if someone would help me out with this.

Here is my responses based on my findings on my L635"

- Does the OS install properly on the phone (first taking the precautions to restore the phone with the MS utility)
Yes. I was on build 10149 and could not upgrade to 10166 because of an error. Hard reset gave me the same error. So I flashed back to 8.1 and install 10166 clean with no restore. Everything worked fine. I did not hard reset while in 10166. Also when I flashed back to 8.1 I did not update 31 or so apps pending to be installed. When I got to 10166 I had zero app in the queue!

- Should I remove the SIM card when installing, just to be safe (I know removing the SIM on a 635 is a pain )?
No, Leave the SIM card as well as the Micro SD card. If you have Apps on the Micro SD card uninstall them or move them back to the phone.
- Does the Wifi work?
Yes
- Does the Phone and messaging portion of the phone work?
Yes
- Does the phone go through start/restart crash cycles?
No
- Does the phone or apps go through any periodic or unexpected crashes?
No
- Does the phone hang up for extended periods of time?
No
- Does the phone heat up too much?
No
- How long is the battery discharge time?
Takes a full day, however this is not my main phone.
- Do the apps in the store work (especially the new office apps that were released 2 days ago)?
Yes
- How complete is the new non-beta store?
It is complete enough that MS removed the beta Store in build 10166.
- Does the phone have any bugs with an outlook.com account?
Outlook mail did not perform good at the beginning such as no notifications and issue with multiple email accounts, but the last two updates took care of most issues.
- Can you restore your phone to WP 8.1 successfully?
Yes
- Are there any other important glitches that I should know about?
No
- Most importantly: is this build degenerative?
No, not at all. The 21 updates I got today actually helped a lot of Apps.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I do not recommend running a technical preview (or whatever fancy name Microsoft wants to give these builds, fact is they're still alpha and far from beta at this point) on your only device. Even if things work quite well now they might break any time any place for no reason whatsoever. Your phone might get stuck in a boot loop (seen it), might start behaving erratically for no reason (seen it), might crash randomly (seen it), etc. And even if most people with 635 handsets claim they have no problems now this doesn't mean you won't have. A different logicboard revision, a slightly different revision of your devices' SoC or firmware and you're screwed.

Bottom line: if you have a secondary phone go nuts. If the L635 is your one and only be careful, you might brick it. If that's a prospect that doesn't concern you then by all means, have fun. If, however, a bricked phone will cause major headaches steer clear of any sort of alpha/beta software.

glossallalia

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Edge crashes regularly and now outlook crashes and can't even finish writing an email. Won't send either. Just had an outlook update from the Store. Also makes random calls

Last edited:

sra1reddys

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Better don't install on your only device(635 with 512mb)...
My 720 problems:
1.Start screen loading and resuming 5 times everyday for 2 mins...
2.Outlook still crashing sometimes and notifications not showing upto date.
3.Phone,Sms live tile problems sometimes..
4.true caller and some apps not working anymore..
5.Here maps,drive crashes sometimes
6.After call end,screen not responding for a minute.

All above problems were solved by soft,hard reset or by some tweaks..
Its a preview better than previous builds but if its your only phone stay away from it.
In September, MS will announce new phones, wait for it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney