This is garbage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameroncr95

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Are anyone on Lumia 635 actually running 10.0.10149.0 without problem?
This is GARBAGE. Outlook Mail closes on entry, opening a hotspot reboots the phone, the new xbox app closes before opening, edge wont load and the phone is hideously slow.

I have reloaded the OS TWICE on here. This is practically unusable. Yes, I am aware its still being worked on, and yes, I read that disclaimer, but really? Do they actually test the software before pushing it out?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Had a 635, has 10149 on it, worked quite well.

Outlook worked, just didn't do 365/Exchange.
Hotspot worked well, phone was... moderately speedy, edge was meh. Didn't touch Xbox.

But yes they test it, when you say reloaded, did you use the Recovery Tool? I had to do that once before I got something stable on my 920.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
This is GARBAGE. Outlook Mail closes on entry, opening a hotspot reboots the phone, the new xbox app closes before opening, edge wont load and the phone is hideously slow.

I have reloaded the OS TWICE on here. This is practically unusable. Yes, I am aware its still being worked on, and yes, I read that disclaimer, but really? Do they actually test the software before pushing it out?

You haven't really given us much information. First, I'd forget 10149 & install the latest (10166). Do that FIRST THING. Like, don't even muck around w 10149, just go right to the next versions.

Then use the new app store to update all the core apps.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
You haven't really given us much information. First, I'd forget 10149 & install the latest (10166). Do that FIRST THING. Like, don't even muck around w 10149, just go right to the next versions.

Then use the new app store to update all the core apps.

Yeah, it's a little weird to be talking about how "garbage" a beta software is when he's not even using the latest update.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Swoosh!!! Guess OP missed the whole point of signing up for beta testing ...

Edit: OP.. Try a rollback, then update to 10166 clean installation. Do a hard reset, reinstall again...and leave it alone to up update the core apps... then its almost good enough to be your daily driver...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't say the OP missed anything about what he signed up for. I wish people would quit talking as if anyone with an OS problem should just keep it to themselves. You don't learn squat that way.

My hope is that when they complain, they are seriously looking for answers and not trying to toss MS under the bus. I've seen a lot of those kinds of threads because they are frustrated and now all about scorched earth; In which case I hope the mods lock the thread because it has no redeeming value.

@OP, one thing I do know about this latest build is that for most of us, you need to prepare to begin from scratch. I mean begin by making sure your contacts, text messages, documents are all backed up to the cloud. Then reset your phone to Hello. You'll need to log in to get Windows Insider installed. Try not to allow your apps and Windows 8.1 settings to download. They don't play well with WinXM.

The main thing you want is Windows Insider. Once that is installed, install the latest version of WinXM. Once that is complete AND your phone is cool to the touch, you can begin adding your apps back on but NOT before your phone is cool because if it is warm to the touch, its processing and cannot be used for anything, even if you have a start screen, that puppy is not ready for use. Once its cool, then add your apps back on.
I've gone though almost every headache there is and I have it on my Lumia 1520, 920 and HTC M8. All gave me the same headache but using this method, they are all running 10166. All of which could daily drive if I want it.
Hope this helps.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
This is not like using developer preview of 8.1 which was basically almost RTM. With these technical previews it's more about showcasing the ideas and refining the OS as the RTM approaches. So as much one would want everything to work, it's okay if something does not.

BTW I do wonder how this works. Are those real bugs, as in somebody made a mistake or simply it's because something is not done yet.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I can't say the OP missed anything about what he signed up for. I wish people would quit talking as if anyone with an OS problem should just keep it to themselves. You don't learn squat that way.

My hope is that when they complain, they are seriously looking for answers and not trying to toss MS under the bus. I've seen a lot of those kinds of threads because they are frustrated and now all about scorched earth; In which case I hope the mods lock the thread because it has no redeeming value.

@OP, one thing I do know about this latest build is that for most of us, you need to prepare to begin from scratch. I mean begin by making sure your contacts, text messages, documents are all backed up to the cloud. Then reset your phone to Hello. You'll need to log in to get Windows Insider installed. Try not to allow your apps and Windows 8.1 settings to download. They don't play well with WinXM.

The main thing you want is Windows Insider. Once that is installed, install the latest version of WinXM. Once that is complete AND your phone is cool to the touch, you can begin adding your apps back on but NOT before your phone is cool because if it is warm to the touch, its processing and cannot be used for anything, even if you have a start screen, that puppy is not ready for use. Once its cool, then add your apps back on.
I've gone though almost every headache there is and I have it on my Lumia 1520, 920 and HTC M8. All gave me the same headache but using this method, they are all running 10166. All of which could daily drive if I want it.
Hope this helps.

No one's saying they should keep it to themselves, but using hyperbole, saying it's "garbage" and constantly whining deserves responses like these.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually O365 worked fine, you just needed to set it up as Advanced.

Had a 635, has 10149 on it, worked quite well.

Outlook worked, just didn't do 365/Exchange.
Hotspot worked well, phone was... moderately speedy, edge was meh. Didn't touch Xbox.

But yes they test it, when you say reloaded, did you use the Recovery Tool? I had to do that once before I got something stable on my 920.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am aware its still being worked on, and yes, I read that disclaimer, but really? Do they actually test the software before pushing it out?
Of course it is tested. It's just not fixed. This is alpha level software (not beta like many are calling it, as beta software is feature complete whereas this is far from it), so fixing everything is far less important than adding new features and getting it out the door and into insider's hands!

Just the act of adding new features will inevitably break things. If MS had to fix every bug they were aware of before releasing it, we wouldn't be getting anything yet.

You obviously thought MS' disclaimer was just a legal technicality, but it really isn't. The purpose of these releases is not to give you functioning software, but to allow you to experiment and provide feedback. That it's acceptable to some as a daily driver is just an added bonus.

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
just make sure when you update to those builds to give your phone some time, because these builds don't have screen of migrating apps.... this is very critical, and missing this will keep getting you crappy builds.

Hard reset.... let it sit for 30 minutes, when you see your phone on the lock screen with the clock on, only then your phone is ready.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site

Guess he didnt get the memo: this is a technical preview.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Having installed 10149 3X with many issues on my L640 and then busting it back to 8.1, and then very successfully installing 10149 and 10166 onto my L925 (where it's working great), I can attest to the fact that installation experiences can vary widely. I don't know if this is device driven, due to operator error or some combination of both. I am not sure at this point what I did wrong with the 640, and even installing on the 925, which I did feeling like I had the benefit of so much experience from my 640, I still wasn't sure if some steps were the right thing to do. I look at those people circles on the People tile rolling around like billiard balls on my 925 and still feel a smidge more lucky than knowledgeable.

There's a lot of conflicting info on the forum. I don't mind the learning curve, but I actually wish WC would publish some more articles that get into the details of each step of the process (or maybe I just missed out on those?). I can understand the OP's frustration, just would urge him to notice how many people have it up and running great on the same or other devices. And then ask those people what they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion