This is garbage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
just make sure when you update to those builds to give your phone some time, because these builds don't have screen of migrating apps.... this is very critical, and missing this will keep getting you crappy builds.

Hard reset.... let it sit for 30 minutes, when you see your phone on the lock screen with the clock on, only then your phone is ready.

I think your suggestion to leave it alone and give it some time is so important. In these builds, a lot seems to go on in the background without much in the way of visual cues.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think your suggestion to leave it alone and give it some time is so important. In these builds, a lot seems to go on in the background without much in the way of visual cues.

Yes, yes, yes! Don't start fiddling about with the tiles and opening apps and such. I am pretty sure that is what messed me up on the first install on my 640.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Are anyone on Lumia 635 actually running 10.0.10149.0 without problem?
This is GARBAGE. Outlook Mail closes on entry, opening a hotspot reboots the phone, the new xbox app closes before opening, edge wont load and the phone is hideously slow.

I have reloaded the OS TWICE on here. This is practically unusable. Yes, I am aware its still being worked on, and yes, I read that disclaimer, but really? Do they actually test the software before pushing it out?

Cue the useless whining! Good gosh does ANYONE actually realize what the Insider Preview is? It isn't even an alpha! It's before alpha.
You are going to have problems. Some small, some big. Some people may not have anything really detrimental happen. Others may break their phone (mostly through ignorance). But that is the whole purpose of the Insider Preview. WE are testing the software.
If you can't handle a few bugs, go back to Windows Phone 8.1, please. Thank you, goodbye.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Are anyone on Lumia 635 actually running 10.0.10149.0 without problem?
This is GARBAGE. Outlook Mail closes on entry, opening a hotspot reboots the phone, the new xbox app closes before opening, edge wont load and the phone is hideously slow.

I have reloaded the OS TWICE on here. This is practically unusable. Yes, I am aware its still being worked on, and yes, I read that disclaimer, but really? Do they actually test the software before pushing it out?

No you test it, that's the whole point.

They can't test all the different setups out there so they release it to public. You use windows feedback and send some good feedback.

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
try the 10166 it fixes a lot of problems that occured with 10149 i can say 10149 was carbage too :/ now the 10166 to my lumia 535 its amlost bug free with only 2 or 3 bugs on certain apps and nothing more :D

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No you test it, that's the whole point.

They can't test all the different setups out there so they release it to public. You use windows feedback and send some good feedback.

This basically represents the opposite view of the OP. Both are extremes and I don't think either accurately reflects the publicly admitted to purpose of the insiders program.

Despite the OS being much improved by build 10160, it's still rather raw. As the OP makes clear, many of the issues are glaringly obvious. If MS actually required us to report these types of issues they would be sorely incompetent. Not that they are against such reports, but they're neither dependent on nor even particularly interested in that type of feedback.

What you're describing is typically the purpose of public beta testing. That stage is reached when the software in question is feature complete, the developer is reasonably confident the product is free of all show-stopping bugs, but wants the software tested on a larger (yet still controlled) scale by actual users, before launching in earnest. W10M isn't anywhere close to that point yet. With so much still in flux, there's not much point in reporting bugs that will automatically be resolved/altered/moved as the OS is finalized.

These preview releases are not about finding bugs or other such implementation details, but about concepts! It's about letting WP users engage with things like the new Office Mobile apps and the new Windows Store, and seeing how people like or dislike them (assuming they were bug free). MS will use that feedback to change how things look or the apps interaction models, provided MS thinks they can afford to do so.

In a nutshell, these previews are not about what we think about each release right now, but about whether we like where the OS is headed.

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This basically represents the opposite view of the OP. Both are extremes and I don't think either accurately reflects the publicly admitted to purpose of the insiders program.

Despite the OS being much improved by build 10160, it's still rather raw. As the OP makes clear, many of the issues are glaringly obvious. If MS actually required us to report these types of issues they would be sorely incompetent. Not that they are against such reports, but they're neither dependent on nor even particularly interested in that type of feedback.

What you're describing is typically the purpose of public beta testing. That stage is reached when the software in question is feature complete, the developer is reasonably confident the product is free of all show-stopping bugs, but wants the software tested on a larger (yet still controlled) scale by actual users, before launching in earnest. W10M isn't anywhere close to that point yet. With so much still in flux, there's not much point in reporting bugs that will automatically be resolved/altered/moved as the OS is finalized.

These preview releases are not about finding bugs or other such implementation details, but about concepts! It's about letting WP users engage with things like the new Office Mobile apps and the new Windows Store, and seeing how people like or dislike them (assuming they were bug free). MS will use that feedback to change how things look or the apps interaction models, provided MS thinks they can afford to do so.

In a nutshell, these previews are not about what we think about each release right now, but about whether we like where the OS is headed.

Point is that not everyone has the same problems. This has been quite evident in a lot of these forums. Some have 0 problems and others have nothing but problems. So Sending feedback which also collects data from the user can indeed help, if not at least to show Microsoft how big of an issue it is and if it should be prioritized. I've seen a lot of issues get fixed after windows feedback had a lot of people complaining about a certain problem. They strive to release builds that work better than the other in each interval. My guess is crash data is already being collected but it can't hurt. Early software can quite easily mess up based off small things like a setting being set. Say they were using something like method overloading(example for those that will take it too seriously), missing a variable can cause issues. Also people tell others to do factory resets to fix issues. But ultimately Microsoft should know why the issue would even form if no factory reset is done. Software upgrades should be seamless. So yes I send feedback before even doing a factory reset.

The Desktop version of Windows 10 is pretty good, but there's still issues in the RTM. And after windows feedback has caught onto specific issues they have released some fixes. And they will continue to do that.

If you believe that Microsoft shouldn't have bugs and should catch everything on their own, then you obviously haven't heard of patch tuesdays and seen their support sites nor have you likely seen the ticket cases in their support centers. Software is built in such a way that objects communicate with each other. There are teams responsible for different sections. They can only test so many scenarios as well.

Gabe Aul has shown that tests are done prior to releasing builds and then they will have a list of known bugs. A lot of time new bugs surface and they aren't in the known bugs list, gee.. So yes Windows feedback helps. They even showed videos of how Microsoft goes through it and searches for patterns and such.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Differences in 'experience' of a preview release should be viewed as they are. Many different phones, some with SD cards (of different sizes), some, but not all, using particular apps, different processor speeds, issues with install, incorrect install, clean flash / dirty flash etc..even down to battery charge can cause issues.

Having developed android roms for the note 3, I've seen this all before. A preview build / custom rom will ALWAYS throw up an issue for someone. That's why they are preview builds. It is a basic 'working' non general release that allows the Dev's to spot any glaring issues, and resolve minor bugs, using feedback from those brave enough to give it a go and report back. Calling it garbage, or complaining that this or that doesn't work is not what a preview is about.

With the plethora of windows phones, it's hardly surprising that we are going to encounter differences. Should I say that 10166 is garbage because 'hey cortana' doesn't work on my 930?
No. I will test the rom out and see where we go from there. MS put a warning before you download about phones not functioning correctly etc. Take note of it. If you can't tolerate the issues, don't use it.

Sorry to sound blunt, but like I said, been there!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Point is that not everyone has the same problems. This has been quite evident in a lot of these forums. Some have 0 problems and others have nothing but problems. So Sending feedback which also collects data from the user can indeed help, if not at least to show Microsoft how big of an issue it is and if it should be prioritized. I've seen a lot of issues get fixed after windows feedback had a lot of people complaining about a certain problem. They strive to release builds that work better than the other in each interval. My guess is crash data is already being collected but it can't hurt. Early software can quite easily mess up based off small things like a setting being set. Say they were using something like method overloading(example for those that will take it too seriously), missing a variable can cause issues. Also people tell others to do factory resets to fix issues. But ultimately Microsoft should know why the issue would even form if no factory reset is done. Software upgrades should be seamless. So yes I send feedback before even doing a factory reset.

The Desktop version of Windows 10 is pretty good, but there's still issues in the RTM. And after windows feedback has caught onto specific issues they have released some fixes. And they will continue to do that.

If you believe that Microsoft shouldn't have bugs and should catch everything on their own, then you obviously haven't heard of patch tuesdays and seen their support sites nor have you likely seen the ticket cases in their support centers. Software is built in such a way that objects communicate with each other. There are teams responsible for different sections. They can only test so many scenarios as well.

Gabe Aul has shown that tests are done prior to releasing builds and then they will have a list of known bugs. A lot of time new bugs surface and they aren't in the known bugs list, gee.. So yes Windows feedback helps. They even showed videos of how Microsoft goes through it and searches for patterns and such.

You're not telling me anything new. I understood your point, I just disagree with it.

No, Gabe Aul's list of known W10M bugs is in not even close to comprehensive. They will have their own internal lists spanning thousands of TODO's. What they show you and me are only the most obvious issues they think people must be made aware of, either to set expectations or to help people avoid serious problems.

Yes, folks at MS make mistakes too, yes, not everyone has the same issues, and yes, community testing can and will catch issues that slip through MS' internal testing. All those points are undisputed. That's just not relevant yet.

Although it won't hurt anybody to report bugs of any kind, MS simply won't be all that interested in the results from that type of community testing at this particular time. I'd be surprised if even 1% of bug reports make it through the initial filters back to MS' engineering departments.

As it is now, W10M comes with hundreds of glaringly obvious issues. How often do you think MS receives reports on the same trivial issue over and over again? Based on my experience, MS will be aware of over 99% of the issues being reported, and in most cases, they will have been aware of them since before the corresponding preview builds were even released. Furthermore, of those issues users classify as "bugs", how many do you think MS would instead just classify as "under construction"? Based on my experience, that would be the overwhelming majority. Sifting through all those poorly articulated bug reports with no mention of how to reproduce anything is a colossal waste of time and money, particularly when MS has an army of professionals setting up automated tests, automated bug reporting facilities, and diagnostic software that provides far more useful and actionable information.

At this point in time, bug reports will be almost all noise (stuff that is wrong, stuff that MS already knew, stuff that is unintelligible or not actionable, etc) and contain very little of actual value. Once MS gets far closer to their final release, and all the obvious issues are solved (which they are perfectly capable of doing on their own), that's when bug reports from the community become a lot more valuable. By that time, the number of bugs being reported will be far fewer in number and far more likely to mention issues MS actually isn't yet aware of. Only then is it really worthwhile pouring resources into analysing that data. They won't be doing to much of that now. That is my only point.

Just to be clear, that doesn't make the insiders preview any less valuable. MS will still be very interested to hear how people like or dislike changes to the OS and their 1st part apps. In contrast to the more technical bug reports, those are the types of things users are actually very good at reporting. More importantly, issues we have in those areas are also far more dangerous to MS than your average bug. A bug is usually comparatively fast and "easy" to fix. Having bet on a UI concept that people hate is a mistake that is a lot harder to turn around in a reasonable amount of time (see Windows 8). Those are the kinds of things MS will currently be focusing on (to the extent they feel they can).

Mordant 123

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Damn, it takes really long time to download the apps from windows store although my net connection is very fast. I get the app after two to three days from the day I've added it to download list and the "to be updated" apps doesn't get updated at all. I've a lot of updates waiting. And it's not only the apps which download slowly, even the new build is taking a long time to download. What do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo