Microsoft should release wm10 on 29

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
W10M doesn't even include the Win32 binaries. That's part of the reason Windows RT and W10 both clock in at over 9GB install size, whereas W10M is a mere 0.5GB.

Well, that's a problem for me. The whole idea of getting an Intel processor in the phone for me was to be able to do Win32 binaries in desktop mode. Thanks for that info. I suppose, then, it won't really matter whether I go Intel or Qualcomm on that point.

However, someone was able to put Windows 7 64 bit on an Intel phone recently (not a Windows Intel phone, they did it on one of those Androids). Not that it ran great, but if we could install the full Windows 10... yeah, probably wouldn't get the dialer or ability to use it as a phone anymore if we did that, I'll bet.

I hope Microsoft will offer a solution to handle this so that win32 can be run on Windows Intel Flagship phones when using Continuum in the near future.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Windows Insiders(people who you'd consider enthusiasts) are whining day in and day out. One could only imagine the kind of outcry from the general public if they released w10m as is on the 29th.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's a problem for me. The whole idea of getting an Intel processor in the phone for me was to be able to do Win32 binaries in desktop mode. Thanks for that info. I suppose, then, it won't really matter whether I go Intel or Qualcomm on that point.

However, someone was able to put Windows 7 64 bit on an Intel phone recently (not a Windows Intel phone, they did it on one of those Androids). Not that it ran great, but if we could install the full Windows 10... yeah, probably wouldn't get the dialer or ability to use it as a phone anymore if we did that, I'll bet.

I hope Microsoft will offer a solution to handle this so that win32 can be run on Windows Intel Flagship phones when using Continuum in the near future.

Yeah, you are right. Assuming that running Win32 based software is the primary reason for an x86 based phone to exist (I can't really think of any other reason off the top of my head), I see no alternative to it running W10 rather than W10M. That's exactly what you'd want it to run though, because it's expected to act like a fully featured (and 100% compatible) Windows PC when it's docked. W10M won't do that.

If such an x86 based device does end up running W10M, then we're likely missing a puzzle piece that would tell us what the purpose of that would be. At least under the current conditions that would seem to make no sense at all.

Last edited:

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, MS really didn't say that. That really would have countered MS' marketing message, but I'm thinking the primary reason for not saying it is because it's BS. Here's a more accurate description:

MS has been on a path to OS unification ever since Vista. Up until W8.1 MS had achieved unification in two areas:

A) Kernel

Unification between phones, desktops and XB1 was achieved with W8/WP8.

The kernel is a chunk of code around 20MB in size on disk. It is a very important, but also a very small part of the OS. It resides at the very bottom of the OS' software stack and can basically be thought of as a driver for the CPU.

B) WinRT / WinPRT

~90% unification between phones and desktop achieved with W8.1/WP8.1.

Note that unification refers to parts of the WinRT library, CLR and the API surface. These things reside at the very top of the OS' software stack.

W10 is also about UI/UX changes, but it's even more about the software layers between A and B. For example, on the desktop, some parts of the WinRT library would call and delegate to Win32, but that doesn't exist on the phone. In these intermediate layers, W8.1 and WP8.1 are nothing alike!

W10 represents, for the first time, a unified OS where those components that are shared across form factors actually are identical. With W8.1/WP8.1 MS made it look to developers as if most of the modern OS stack is identical, but with W10 it actually will be. To achieve this WinRT no longer relies on Win32 but rather on something called Windows Core.

IMHO these are the most significant changes to Windows since Vista, in some ways since even before that. As is often the case for OS level changes though, the impact won't be felt by end users directly.

WP 8.1 actually implements many of the Win32 APIs because several WinRT components are just wrappers that call the same old desktop Win32 and COM APIs.

Windows Core is actually a team inside Microsoft that write common components.

So, no, this is not a major rewrite of the OS, and the unification was mostly done in 8.1.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Windows Core is actually a team inside Microsoft that write common components.

Although it's not well known outside of MS, the term "Windows Core" has long been used to refer to both:

A) the team and
B) the shared subset of Windows components.

http://blog.jerrynixon.com/2015/03/windows-core-is-windows-10-is-windows.html?m=1

The other points you dispute aren't well understood outside of MS either, for the same reasons, but as usual I'll take the word of MS' engineers over yours. Believe what you will...

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
When is wm10 coming out

1. Release to OEMs in late September or early October (confirmed by MS).
  2. Release to insiders likely in October (guessing).
  3. First devices available in retail in November (confirmed by MS).
  4. Official update of phones at carrier's discretion. For some it will be available in 2015, some may no get it until far into 2016 (guessing).

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It is taking them too long. Theyre starting to lose their momentum.
So true. They have a lot to catch up but everything is painfully painfully painfully slow. Even here the biggest fanboys are getting offended by how MS is treating the mobile OS. And I am sure by the time the flagship devices they have in the pipeline will be outdated when they become available in stores after Win10 mobile release. And also not many people willing to get devices with uncertain future / lifecycle. And you all know how fast MS can change their mind and drop support for any piece of hardware: WP 7.X, Windows RT aka WoA, MS Fingerprint reader ....
For sure right now the give full attention to the desktop version and fix things there since it is released officially already and MS still play an important role for desktop OS un like in the mobile market. Not what we might wish but that is just logical. As mentioned in the other thread I not expect Win10 to land on our phones before mid 2016.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon