Some time a go there was said Microsoft would ad the possibility to use Ios and Android apps. Lot's of news but nothing about this.
    07-24-2015 02:35 AM
    Microsoft isn't using anything to make apps. They "just" created tools so OTHERS could more easily port THEIR apps to WP.

There won't be a big bang were many apps suddenly appear in the store. All we can do is wait for new app announcements to trickle in, although that is still quite some time away, as the porting tools themselves are all still in beta.

Once such apps do arrive, we may not even realize that it is such a ported app. It's unlikely to be advertised and it won't be apparent in the store.
    There have been posts on this previously if you search the forums.
    Microsoft will make it easier to port Android and IOs apps to Windows Phone.
    07-24-2015 02:57 AM
    Yes i know that but when, how, is ther news are there apps etc
    07-24-2015 04:23 AM
    Microsoft isn't using anything to make apps. They "just" created tools so OTHERS could more easily port THEIR apps to WP.

There won't be a big bang were many apps suddenly appear in the store. All we can do is wait for new app announcements to trickle in, although that is still quite some time away, as the porting tools themselves are all still in beta.

Once such apps do arrive, we may not even realize that it is such a ported app. It's unlikely to be advertised and it won't be apparent in the store.
    07-24-2015 04:30 AM
    No news for this. Only Firefox said that they are making universal application.
    charlatan1978 and Kevin Rush like this.
    07-24-2015 05:28 AM
    ^ A universal app is not the same thing as an app ported from iOS or Android.
    07-24-2015 05:49 AM
    Universal = app for all Windows variants (desktop, tablet + phone)
    Ported app = IOS or Android app configured to work on Windows Phone (Won't necessarily work on Windows desktop, etc)
    Does that sum it up?
    07-24-2015 06:15 AM
    Ported app = IOS or Android app configured to work on Windows Phone (Won't necessarily work on Windows desktop, etc)
    Does that sum it up?
    You forgot, a Universal Ported app would be an iOS or Android app configured to work on Windows (desk, tab & phone) and on Xbox. Also, non-ported universal apps work on Xbox too.
    charlatan1978 likes this.
    07-24-2015 06:32 AM
    Does that sum it up?
    Almost. I prefer to say that a universal app is an app that runs on MS' UAP (universal app platform), which will be available on W10 (desktops, laptops, servers, large tablets), Xbox One OS (consoles), W10M (small tablets and phones) and Windows IoT (Raspberry, HoloLens, etc). The UAP will become available on other devices and OSes too, over time.

EDIT:
    At least in the public's eye, being a universal app implies the app will actually run across at least two of the groups I mentioned above (desktop + phones or XboxOne + HoloLens, etc). That's the whole point of a universal app. Technically, an engineer could argue that an app that runs on the UAP but lacks a UI that scales to different form factors is still technically a (unfinished) universal app. That's just not a useful way of thinking about it for consumers. For us, it must run on at least two form factors for it to be validly considered a universal app.

Apps ported from Android will apparently be phone-only, i.e. they can never be universal apps. Apps ported from iOS can potentially be universal apps, but don't necessarily have to be.
    Last edited by a5cent; 07-29-2015 at 05:21 AM. Reason: see edit
    07-24-2015 06:58 AM
    You forgot, a Universal Ported app would be an iOS or Android app configured to work on Windows (desk, tab & phone) and on Xbox. Also, non-ported universal apps work on Xbox too.
    Good point
    07-24-2015 07:28 AM
    Almost. I prefer to say that a universal app is an app that runs on MS' UAP (universal app platform), which will be available on W10 (desktops, laptops, servers, Xbox One, large tablets), W10M (small tablets and phones) and Windows IoT (Raspberry, HoloLens, etc). The UAP will become available on other devices and OSes too, over time.
    Apps ported from Android will apparently be phone-only, I.e. they can never be universal apps. Apps ported from iOS can potentially be universal apps, but don't necessarily have to be.
    Ah yes, I forgot about all the other Windows platforms.
    I expect someone else to ask this question again in the coming days, so will point them to this thread!
    a5cent and Kevin Rush like this.
    07-24-2015 07:30 AM
    and dont forget this Tool is sure to release after the wp 10 releases :p
    07-24-2015 08:33 AM
    Brownie Points for the first person to compile an Android build of Chromium onto WP10. Not because I have any love or desire to see it, except for the fact that it would then be a Google app on WP that some people will want and because being open source, Google can't stop it.
    07-25-2015 11:00 PM
    From what I remember Microsoft said that they are making tools so that iOS and Android developers can easily convert their original apps into apps that support Windows 10 mobile

Sent from my SM-G530H using Tapatalk
    Pieter Comello likes this.
    07-25-2015 11:32 PM
    Yes i know that but when, how, is ther news are there apps etc
    Until Windows 10 Mobile is officially released nobody knows.
    07-26-2015 10:12 AM
    Ohh sorry wrong topic.
    07-29-2015 02:29 AM