I really miss swiping - Windows 10 Mobile

UniZebra

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, what were "Microsoftian" thinking, when they removed the swiping feature from Windows 10 Mobile?!?!
I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Windows 10 and the unified stores idea but swiping was one of the very reasons why Windows UI was so unique and easy to use. Do you guys think that MS should bring back swiping too?

Bryan Trach

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, what were "Microsoftian" thinking, when they removed the swiping feature from Windows 10 Mobile?!?!
I mean, don't get me wrong, I like Windows 10 and the unified stores idea but swiping was one of the very reasons why Windows UI was so unique and easy to use. Do you guys think that MS should bring back swiping too?
swiping what? notifications that come in? Nah, I don't pick my mobile OS over just one feature. Plus I can now read the full text of the alert. I'd much rather have that feature rather than swipe to dismiss.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
My biggest issue with Windows 10 is the fact that all the hamburgers seem to require a upper-left tap instead of a swipe. Android gets away with this bad UX because the hamburger is a drawer that swipes out, but not Windows 10. I consider it a deal-breaker for me.

Pivots had the benefit of always being swipeable. There's certainly some benefit to hamburgers generally, but with 5+ inch devices you must be able to swipe in to open them.

UniZebra

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
My biggest issue with Windows 10 is the fact that all the hamburgers seem to require a upper-left tap instead of a swipe. Android gets away with this bad UX because the hamburger is a drawer that swipes out, but not Windows 10. I consider it a deal-breaker for me.

Pivots had the benefit of always being swipeable. There's certainly some benefit to hamburgers generally, but with 5+ inch devices you must be able to swipe in to open them.

I know right?

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Swiping is cumbersome and inefficient. It would be fine for a feature phone with limited functionality, not for a smartphone.

Last edited:

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Swiping is cumbersome and inefficient. It would be fine for a feature phone with limited functionality, not for a smartphone.

LMAO and having to reposition my phone or use TWO hands to operate a 4 inch device ISN'T cumbersome and inefficient?

Even Apple is telling devs to move away from using hamburgers on their apps.
And here's Microsoft, adopting an obsolete UI element because they're so lost as to what to do they resort to butchering aspects that made their noapps mobile OS worthwhile.

I'm all for familiarity. I understand the average normie grandma/overweight trailer mom can't be bothered to learn simple gestures in a new mobile environment. (I've seen them get so overwhelmed by touch gestures they literally SCREAM when they swipe/press into another screen by accident) But why should everyone else who isn't technologically disabled have to suffer as a result?

This is literally the same reason I got sick of my iPhone and got a Focus Flash to begin with.
Annnd now that same element that made me leave iOS creeped its way on to WP.

The worst part is this could have easily been integrated with the pivot/panorama UI but of course, MS being as clueless as they are, probably didn't think to do so:
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...ons/7122016-combine-hamburger-menu-with-pivot

Here's to hoping for the future. Otherwise there's really no real reason to stay on WP when iOS has become just as stable with the same tacky UI and a bit more 3rd party functionality.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
LMAO and having to reposition my phone or use TWO hands to operate a 4 inch device ISN'T cumbersome and inefficient?

And here's Microsoft, adopting an obsolete UI element because they're so lost as to what to do they resort to butchering aspects that made their noapps mobile OS worthwhile.

I'm all for familiarity. I understand the average normie grandma/overweight trailer mom can't be bothered to learn simple gestures in a new mobile environment. (I've seen them get so overwhelmed by touch gestures they literally SCREAM when they swipe/press into another screen by accident) But why should everyone else who isn't technologically disabled have to suffer as a result?

This is literally the same reason I got sick of my iPhone and got a Focus Flash to begin with.

The worst part is this could have easily been integrated with the pivot/panorama UI but of course, MS being as clueless as they are, probably didn't think to do so:
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...ons/7122016-combine-hamburger-menu-with-pivot

Here's to hoping for the future. Otherwise there's really no real reason to stay on WP when iOS has become just as stable with the same tacky UI and a bit more 3rd party functionality.
I agree...
MS is turning out to be non user friendly from being user friendly. Android is even adopting pivots (play store, YouTube, fb messenger).

I wish they do ssomething else may lose many customers.

WPhone

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I've yet seen nothing new in W10 that's interesting. Continuum is nice but meanwhile, and very contrary to what continuum is all about, a desktop experienced is forced onto mobile after forcing a mobile interface on desktop failed. Much functionality of W81 is lost (in calendar, mail etc), including what made WP unique (like the hubs). Performance is degraded because functionality is moved from OS to apps, which will always perform worse. MS burnt their fingers innovating, so they turned to copying. If they manage to create a start screen app on Android (Arrow is the beginning of that) than they can drop Windows Phone entirely, because nothing else is unique about Windows anymore.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I've yet seen nothing new in W10 that's interesting. Continuum is nice but meanwhile, and very contrary to what continuum is all about, a desktop experienced is forced onto mobile after forcing a mobile interface on desktop failed. Much functionality of W81 is lost (in calendar, mail etc), including what made WP unique (like the hubs). Performance is degraded because functionality is moved from OS to apps, which will always perform worse. MS burnt their fingers innovating, so they turned to copying. If they manage to create a start screen app on Android (Arrow is the beginning of that) than they can drop Windows Phone entirely, because nothing else is unique about Windows anymore.

Arrow isn't start screen app.. Its more or less like rest of launchers.. Similar to Nokia Z launcher.. That's all what I have heard and seen on androidauthority

UniZebra

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

YES YES YES! Couldn't have said it better myself!

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree...
MS is turning out to be non user friendly from being user friendly. Android is even adopting pivots (play store, YouTube, fb messenger).

I wish they do ssomething else may lose many customers.

Most Android apps aren't ditching the Hamburger, they are mixing it with Pivots. FB and FB messenger have a hamburger to the right side as the end of the carousel, Play Store and Hangouts has a hamburger that is available with edge swipe and a pivot used with middle swipes. YouTube is just weird, they have pivots and a WP8 style ellipsis in the upper right which is just weird.

I'm desperately hoping that Windows 10 Mobile will have the Android style edge swipe for the hamburger and middle swipe for pivots but that just didn't have time to finish i while focusing on Windows 10 for desktop. Maybe we'll see apps updated with that before Window 10 Mobile is released officially.

I haven't used an iPhone in a while. Curious how bad that UX still is. Reachability mode certainly makes it seem pretty bad.

4fool

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That is completely opposed to my experience. Swiping is extremely efficient and intuitive for touch based devices that are around the phone/phablet size. To a considerable extent even on larger touch screens.

What exactly do you find cumbersome about it. As for efficiency - it is easily scientifically deduced. Just measure the amount of effort and time it takes to touch a hamburger menu and get to another item as opposed to swiping to it.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
M using Win10 on Lumia 730. I must say we have swipe UI wherever required. Some areas like Mail this UI is better, I never used other pages ever. Photos app is improvement.. But there can be better implementation. Music is also good.. But last app wasn't bad either .. I guess best was music+Videos from Wp8.

Something's I don't like is:
1. Upward opening of menu it looks disjoint from action bar.

2. Notification are just like watered down version if Android.. We need better implementation (better than Android) like displaying full msg.. Reply and action buttons.

3. Index letters don't look good either.. In people app especially.. I think to get in middle they thought of one hand usability.

4. Buttons are not always visible. Like dowload button n check for updates in store. Why it is on top.. And why not on action bar.. We need go up again to perform action. It was good on WP8.1
They need to get old designers back i think -_-

5.circles in live tile animation? We can onky see photos in middle row fuly only. Thet must reconsider same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarianKlux