Is Windows 10 Mobile preview stable enough for primary phone?

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
After hard reset, do you now miss some functions? Like Glance control?

HTC didn't have glance, but it did support Double Tap to Wake. That, and Dot View are not working in this build. I haven't noticed any issues with text other than I haven't been able to get custom contact text tones to work.

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Running fine on my Lumia 930!
I only have problems with the share screen (when I scroll, the menu turns black) and sometimes the "choose a photo" screen crashes. Battery life was better on 8.1, but it still survives a day running 10 :)

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The battery life is worse than 8.1. I'm getting a few hang-ups. Some apps not loading even after uninstalling reinstalling. Its frustrating but overall is not bad. Be nice id I could change my text tone. And cortana acting up

Ruben Aceves

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Big Papa, I upgraded to W10 on my Lumia 640 and everything works just fine , I do realize many others have not been so fortunate but honestly for me all i did was plug in my phone to the charger, select the FAST option on the preview build and then waited......About 10-15 minutes later my phone was ready. BEFORE I really did anything I manually restarted the phone and then proceeded to use it as normal.

So far so good, the Lumia 640 is my daily driver, the ONLY thing that won't work and I noticed this today was that a friend texted me a contact to another friend and it was in a .x-vcard format (he sent it from his iPhone) and my Lumia could not read it, asked me if i wanted to look up an app for it on the Windows Store (there was non), so be aware of this.

There is a work around to this of sorts, just import the contacts to google and you can view them there, unfortunately texting contact info is not yet supported so far as I found out today.

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
After updating to 10166 twice and running as my daily driver for over a week, I decided to go back to 8.1 on my L520. Seems that data has stopped working and the phone is so slow. 8.1 seems so fast now. I'm getting tired of reloading apps after every update. I'll wait for the final release.
I'm disappointed that L520 is not on the list of first phones to be updated. Probably won't see the upgrade until December. Good luck to all those still running W10.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Ice_Player

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 (it's a beauty if i may say) running The 10166 build, so far i have to say im very satisfied with it, it has some serious bugs on the Start screen, the Loading issue is a very big one, i've also detected some minor bugs on the settings page, specially on the Background Apps options, as soon as you tap on it the Settings app just crashes and returns to the Start Page.

The Photos App have a great shape now, but it stills loads too slow. However this build is WAY more stable than the previous ones, and im really looking forward the next build.

Hope this post helped you!

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
your mileage will really vary! I've been running it on my 640 about two weeks now, and it is ok.. biggest issue i have is the phone will freeze while speaking on the phone, or when you go from speakerphone to not speaker. yes a quick volume down power button will turn the phone back on, it is frustrating. battery life isn't the best. i like it, hope to stay on it, but don't know.

Vignesh Jayaraj

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I have installed build 10166 on my Lumia 830. everything works fine. only issue i face is occasional freezing of the phone. a reply is required to recover from the issue.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 (it's a beauty if i may say) running The 10166 build, so far i have to say im very satisfied with it, it has some serious bugs on the Start screen, the Loading issue is a very big one, i've also detected some minor bugs on the settings page, specially on the Background Apps options, as soon as you tap on it the Settings app just crashes and returns to the Start Page.

The Photos App have a great shape now, but it stills loads too slow. However this build is WAY more stable than the previous ones, and im really looking forward the next build.

Hope this post helped you!

Hmm, i have a 920 as well, i think i'll wait until i hear from a few others before i try, but now that i have win 10 i'm getting impatient. :)

texas tk

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I put it on my 920 as well....and it is horrible for a daily driver, IMHO...slow...very slow...live tiles on the start screen are...just bad.... Seriously, don't do it on your 920 daily driver....again, IMHO

T

briang11

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I installed build 10166 on my main and only L920. It is fluid and stable, hence it works great for me. Of course, not everything is rosy: The phone heats moren than usual, battery life shortens, some apps crash occasionally, and in my case, the native video app's tile is empty. Overall, the experience is great, considering w10 is rough on the edges. However, be aware that the experience of each user may vary.

kollya

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I tried it day before yesterday on my Lumia 620. Then rolled back to 8.1 yesterday using Lumia Recovery Tool. Mostly it was fine. The issues I noticed were:

1. Slight lagging: I guess the OS is still not optimized for 512MB RAM phones. Especially there was this VERY noticeable gap between action and response while creating folders on the start screen.
2. Alarms and Clocks app: Alarm tone issue. All I was getting as options was a weak default tone (which will never be able to kick me out of bed) or my song list from the SD card. No inbuilt tone list to choose from (even though the list appears while selecting ringtone).
3. Songs appearing twice in the new Groove Music app. And one of the two won't play.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro