Is Windows 10 Mobile preview stable enough for primary phone?

mininv

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia Icon and would love to upgrade to the Windows 10 Mobile Preview. Is it really worth it? I know I will miss the "Pivot" action in Apps but I guess that's something we will have to accept with change. Thank you for your help!

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
That's up to you. I did it to see how it's improved over previous builds. I'm enjoying it so far. A few hang ups here and there... But overall much more stable compared to the build I installed a couple months ago..

Appendix125

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
i just did my nokia icon on tuesday. there are various minor bugs. biggest issue i have had is that Start screen would load, just 'loading...' all the time. eventually it worked.... then hours later, back to loading. repeat. ,the loading makes phone mosty useless as you cant open apps, etx without Start. id avid doing this build on primary phone if you require being able to use it.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
i just did my nokia icon on tuesday. there are various minor bugs. biggest issue i have had is that Start screen would load, just 'loading...' all the time. eventually it worked.... then hours later, back to loading. repeat. ,the loading makes phone mosty useless as you cant open apps, etx without Start. id avid doing this build on primary phone if you require being able to use it.

Mine did this too. It's recommended you do a few restarts. I had a couple restarts then it worked fine.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've not been able to fix this. I've tried reboots and hard resets. I've now unpinned EVERYTHING and I no longer get the problem. I'm gradually adding things back in to see if it is a particular live tile that is doing it.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Running 10 on my Microsoft Lumia 735. Everything seems to be running great. Battery life is the same as 8.1 for me.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I've not been able to fix this. I've tried reboots and hard resets. I've now unpinned EVERYTHING and I no longer get the problem. I'm gradually adding things back in to see if it is a particular live tile that is doing it.

Which phone do you have? It seems hit and miss. Some 1520s get it some don't. Same with the other models.

DavidC_UK

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I've just started to use it on my daily driver (Lumia 930). Apart from an initial hiccup on the initial install, fixed with a hard reset, it's actually going very well so far. The last time I installed an Insider biuld it lastest less than half a day on my phone before I jumped back to 8.1 This one (10166) is a keeper so far.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Apart from an initial hiccup on the initial install, fixed with a hard reset, it's actually going very well so far.
I'd suggest that you check the Store app to see if it is up-to-date after you did the hard reset. 10166 is not a good build for running a hard reset after upgrading. It has some pretty bad bugs in it related to hard resets and the "Store" app not getting updated to the latest build (among others).

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious to know if the current slow ring build is more stable, or is the current fast ring build more stable? I know with the PC version, at a certain point the fast ring was better because it was so much closer to the final version as compared to the slow ring build. Have we reached that point with mobile?

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious to know if the current slow ring build is more stable, or is the current fast ring build more stable? I know with the PC version, at a certain point the fast ring was better because it was so much closer to the final version as compared to the slow ring build. Have we reached that point with mobile?

From what I guess,the fast ring comes out faster with more bugs. Slow ring just has a few fixes the fast didn't have when it came out. By the time slow ring hits fast ring has been fixed(kinda). So its a matter of if you wanna deal with bugs and be first, or wait till they get fixed then download. I think.. I'm not an expert

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
It's subjective. If you won't ever hard reset Win10M and just stick to basic phone, text and email, Win10M build 10166 is "OK"... In my opinion. It's "stable" but not reliable enough or fleshed out enough for me to keep running on any phone.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I finally updated my One M8 this week. After the initial upgrade things were not going well so I did a factory reset and started over. It's working much better now. Still a few issues, but nothing too annoying that would make me revert back. Overall I think it runs pretty well.

Kristian Jacobsen

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I finally updated my One M8 this week. After the initial upgrade things were not going well so I did a factory reset and started over. It's working much better now. Still a few issues, but nothing too annoying that would make me revert back. Overall I think it runs pretty well.

After hard reset, do you now miss some functions? Like Glance control?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
After hard reset, do you now miss some functions? Like Glance control?

1. I don't think HTC ever had glance
2. You can still control glance on Lumia phones, just not easily.

Open the below link. It will launch the store page for glance. Initially it would say the app is no longer available, but if you wait, it will give you an option to "Open", tapping which will open up glance control

windowsphone.com/s?appId=106e0a97-8b19-42cf-8879-a8ed2598fcbb

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss