Virus or adware on windows phone running latest Windows 10 build.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Most of the times when i click on a link, Edge loads that page and after a second redirects me to sites like ads.iconpeak . com, asking me to install non existing apps, or letting me know that my "adroid phone" is affected by viruses etc. After i go back and reload the initial page, everything is ok.

Same thing happends if i type an adress myself. On WI FI or when using mobile internet connection.

Windows 10 should be safe from viruses etc, hence there are no antiviruses for the platform.

What i noticed is that after it redirects me, i can browse on any page without further issues. After a few hours when i use Edge again, it redirects me to an ad site.

I was wondering if anyone has this problem also.

This is what i got after i typed windowscentral.com.
FreshPaint-6-2015.08.04-12.11.04.png

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150804_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20150804_0001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 23

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
If it is some malware attacks, it will be interesting. So much for being the safest mobile platform. But on the bright side, perhaps W10 is getting popular hence the attackers are taking it into considerations as well. LOL!

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Did you try using the Tabs view to manually close all your open tabs? The ad may have opened in a background tab at some point and every time edge reloads the last state it is triggering the redirect.

Just a guess on my part.

Ekmeet Singh

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
It might not be a malware but the website may have ads triggering mechanism when u load the certain website that will happen in any browser or OS . So I think that ur phone is safe from adware and malware.

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well considering Edge Mobile identifies as Chrome mobile for websites, I'm not surprised it was susceptible to ad malware.

That's my biggest pet peeve with Edge Mobile is the fact that websites will try to push their android apps on me because it thinks I'm using a droid.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Well considering Edge Mobile identifies as Chrome mobile for websites, I'm not surprised it was susceptible to ad malware.

That's my biggest pet peeve with Edge Mobile is the fact that websites will try to push their android apps on me because it thinks I'm using a droid.

I've never seen that happen but I'll take your word that Edge identifies as chrome. Even sounds weird.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Only time I've seen this happen is when you connect to an open wifi and you had to agree to some things before you were allowed to use it. This is the result of that agreement.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've never seen that happen but I'll take your word that Edge identifies as chrome. Even sounds weird.

Edge often indetifies as chrome/android in order to get around websites loading broken IE6 compatible versions of their website that are tied to IE's user string.

and, to debunk this right now, identifying itself as a different browser/OS that is susceptible to adware/viruses does NOT make edge itself vulnerable to those same viruses, its just detail spoofing, that's it

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
the same happens on my android tablet its just an ad from the sites thats what i came to understand after seeing it on edge with the same message xD just stupid ad sites nothing more they use different ads for phones it seems :3

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Did you try using the Tabs view to manually close all your open tabs? The ad may have opened in a background tab at some point and every time edge reloads the last state it is triggering the redirect.

Just a guess on my part.
Yes...i tend to close all tabs before closing EDGE.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
My views at what's happening here is that you're touching an ad in the page, and that ad is opening a new tab. Very easy to do while scrolling, especially if touch is set to be sensitive. I often open ads unintentionally that way.

woe3000

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi I have a similar problem - although its not 'ads.iconpeak.com' when I try to remove malware or install AVG or whatever on my phone it just blocks the app or causes the download to fail I can see the adware taking over as it goes from right to left across my screen. asking if I want to 'claim PPI online' etc - opinion varies on how to remove it from 'there are no viruses/malware in WP8/10 phone to 'I have malware' lol any advice you had on how you got rid of yours would be appreciated - p.s. I am not a guru - I don't know what a sandbox is unless you mean what I used to play in when I was in nappy's. Cheers Ian Roe UK

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi I have a similar problem - although its not 'ads.iconpeak.com' when I try to remove malware or install AVG or whatever on my phone it just blocks the app or causes the download to fail I can see the adware taking over as it goes from right to left across my screen. asking if I want to 'claim PPI online' etc - opinion varies on how to remove it from 'there are no viruses/malware in WP8/10 phone to 'I have malware' lol any advice you had on how you got rid of yours would be appreciated - p.s. I am not a guru - I don't know what a sandbox is unless you mean what I used to play in when I was in nappy's. Cheers Ian Roe UK

The very first time I heard something like this! The only boring iussues on IE / Edge Mobile are all the same fast redirecting pages I resolve tapping fast the back arrow, or stopping and entering in Settings and clearing cache.
I know using free / home wifi with open dns or google dns presetted cause jokes like this, in fact when browsing via Vodafone HSPA I have no redirects.

Tecnically, there's not any virus or malware on Windows Mobile till now according to Kapersky labs and collegues, in primis due to the the closed s.o., and then to the too much little diffusion in USA to ensure a "money return" for virus development efforts

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Most of the times when i click on a link, Edge loads that page and after a second redirects me to sites like ads.iconpeak . com, asking me to install non existing apps, or letting me know that my "adroid phone" is affected by viruses etc. After i go back and reload the initial page, everything is ok.

Same thing happends if i type an adress myself. On WI FI or when using mobile internet connection.

Windows 10 should be safe from viruses etc, hence there are no antiviruses for the platform.

What i noticed is that after it redirects me, i can browse on any page without further issues. After a few hours when i use Edge again, it redirects me to an ad site.

I was wondering if anyone has this problem also.

This is what i got after i typed windowscentral.com.
View attachment 109920

Thx info. Never heard of this before. Never experienced it either. Does it happen when the page renders in mobile and desktop mode? Does it happens if you hard reset the phone? Try hard reseting the phone and do not opt to restore from backup and try it.

It could possibly be an full page ad overlaying above the page that's completely transparent and whatever you click on the page will trigger the overlay ad and bring up another page, making you think it's redirecting you. Just a thought. Hoping it's not malware...last thing we need.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Problem seems to be solved now. I did reset without restoring, on newer build also. Not sure when it happened, but the problem went away. Hope it will stay like that.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Problem seems to be solved now. I did reset without restoring, on newer build also. Not sure when it happened, but the problem went away. Hope it will stay like that.

Went away because the cache deletes oldest entries or the smart screen filter updates its list and blocks it.
The next time press the back arrow more than one time till you land on a normal previous page, or press Tab and close it, and enter in settings and delete cache and history. It's not a virus or malware, simply an annoyng redirect pop-up . same as desktops

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills