OTG support in Windows10 Mobile!

TLuck Sharma

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Guys, As in recent news it was said that, the current windows10 mobile is "Feature complete". So will there be No Otg support for my Lumia 730?
I really want OTG support in my phone. It can be very important feature for me.
Please do reply. Thank You.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Guys, As in recent news it was said that, the current windows10 mobile is "Feature complete". So will there be No Otg support for my Lumia 730?
I really want OTG support in my phone. It can be very important feature for me.
Please do reply. Thank You.

It's ALMOST feature complete (which is true)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
it will be in W10 mobile. look at this official video:

it will require new hardware though

Yeah, I was going to say that. There needs to be hardware capability, and most of the phones already on the market don't have it.

It's more than just an OS upgrade the way I understand it. While this is something I'd like to have, I'm more eager for Continuum, which also requires new hardware, and which I would very much like to invest in.

While your current hardware may not support USB-OTG, it will support Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. WP8.1 Update 2 supports Bluetooth keyboard, which can be nice when you're doing the "Project My Screen App". Using a Bluetooth keyboard frees up more screen area, too, because it doesn't display the on-screen keyboard when its connected. Still not Continuum, but makes for easier editing/adding contacts, doing email/texting, and other things... IF you're at the office or at a desk with a computer.

Basically all USB-OTG is going to give you is the added support for flash drive storage for backing up your data or easier sharing of data with others.

TLuck Sharma

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I was going to say that. There needs to be hardware capability, and most of the phones already on the market don't have it.

It's more than just an OS upgrade the way I understand it. While this is something I'd like to have, I'm more eager for Continuum, which also requires new hardware, and which I would very much like to invest in.

While your current hardware may not support USB-OTG, it will support Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. WP8.1 Update 2 supports Bluetooth keyboard, which can be nice when you're doing the "Project My Screen App". Using a Bluetooth keyboard frees up more screen area, too, because it doesn't display the on-screen keyboard when its connected. Still not Continuum, but makes for easier editing/adding contacts, doing email/texting, and other things... IF you're at the office or at a desk with a computer.

Basically all USB-OTG is going to give you is the added support for flash drive storage for backing up your data or easier sharing of data with others.

Thanks for your detailed info, So I guess the windows10 brings only a new UI and apps support, no new features. Please don't remind me about notification centre's more icon, these are not new features at all, these are basic things a OS should posses. "Features" and capabilities makes a particular OS different and attractive in market. I know the Continuum is pretty good feature for upcoming flagships but what about current windows phones?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your detailed info, So I guess the windows10 brings only a new UI and apps support, no new features. Please don't remind me about notification centre's more icon, these are not new features at all, these are basic things a OS should posses. "Features" and capabilities makes a particular OS different and attractive in market. I know the Continuum is pretty good feature for upcoming flagships but what about current windows phones?

New features in an OS require new hardware. Apple Pay required NFC and a fingerprint scanner. Older model iPhones without the hardware could not take advantage of the new feature.

Do you really expect software updates to give new hardware features?

You'll get a better UI, in time better app availability, and a consistent experience across devices. You will also get the capability of Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, which at present on 8.1 GDR2 only the Bluetooth keyboard works. No mouse. And that's only with GDR2, which very few phones have. Most are on 8.1 GDR1.

TLuck Sharma

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
New features in an OS require new hardware. Apple Pay required NFC and a fingerprint scanner. Older model iPhones without the hardware could not take advantage of the new feature.

Do you really expect software updates to give new hardware features?

You'll get a better UI, in time better app availability, and a consistent experience across devices. You will also get the capability of Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, which at present on 8.1 GDR2 only the Bluetooth keyboard works. No mouse. And that's only with GDR2, which very few phones have. Most are on 8.1 GDR1.

Well, I'm totally agree with you. Could you please point out some hardware aspects which will be required for OTG support in a phone?
Thank You.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm totally agree with you. Could you please point out some hardware aspects which will be required for OTG support in a phone?
Thank You.

actually, I've heard that the hardware of at least some devices might support OTG.

But will we see them in older devices? I don't know, considering they never had it before and it'll take work. Or there could be some gremlin that is preventing it.

TLuck Sharma

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
actually, I've heard that the hardware of at least some devices might support OTG.

But will we see them in older devices? I don't know, considering they never had it before and it'll take work. Or there could be some gremlin that is preventing it.

Yeah, i guess so. Thanks for your reply.
Can you tell me how smooth does the bluetooth keyboard work with the phone and Which keyboard should i buy?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Thank You.

This is something I've been thinking about over the weekend. Something I'd like to research further.

While I keep hearing that the hardware in the current Lumia's don't support OTG, I'm no longer sure what that's based on. It's not the chipset, since phones with OTG use the same chipsets and are able to use OTG. Someone posted that it was the USB port itself, or the way it was wired, but that doesn't make sense either.

Perhaps in this case it could feasibly be one of those situations where the support for hardware just hasn't been added by the OS at this point, and we'll find out for sure later. I know that the chipset that Android and WP both currently use, and have used for a long number of years, support FM radio reception and transmission. The reason that Android does not have the capability to play FM radio is because they don't have support for it in the OS. Windows Phone does have the support, so WP plays OTA FM Radio stations, without the need to use data. The feature to access the hardware just needed to be programmed into the OS.

I certainly HOPE this is the case with WP and OTG, but I don't really know for sure. I do plan on trying to do some research to get a definitive answer, though. If I am able to get a RELIABLE answer, then I'll post back and let you all know. If I can't get firm answer one way or the other, then I'll just leave it hanging after this post.

I've already got a monitor, keyboard, and mouse that I dock my laptop with. I have a Logitech Unifying receiver (wireless) that allows me to connect both my wireless keyboard and mouse to the same USB port. If I could use an OTG adapter to plug the receiver into, and a MiraCast dongle for my Monitor, then I'd be in really good shape with Windows 10.

hf199

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm worried that the phone builds are taking longer to roll out. Basically on a monthly basis. I just hope they don't delay the release with IPhone announcement around the corner on September 9th. Seems like major issues are popping up. Last Tuesday 10240 could not be released and they said it would take a couple of days and now its Monday....

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: The following statement about USB-OTG not built into the chipset turned out to be false. It is indeed part of the SoC.

Just confirmed that the USB-OTG support is not built into the chipset. Android 3.1 and higher support it, but not all devices support it even with those OS specifications. Apparently, a separate Host Controller is needed apart from the SoC. I have not yet been able to determine if any Windows Phones currently on the market support it, but it is likely that all of the low end WP (most of them) will not support it, as they would be cutting costs. Same with the Android phones, the low budget ones don't all support OTG, which is mostly for Flagships.

Probably safe to say my 635 won't get it, but can't be sure until it's here unless someone knows more about the hardware in these things.

Last edited:

TLuck Sharma

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Just confirmed that the USB-OTG support is not built into the chipset. Android 3.1 and higher support it, but not all devices support it even with those OS specifications. Apparently, a separate Host Controller is needed apart from the SoC. I have not yet been able to determine if any Windows Phones currently on the market support it, but it is likely that all of the low end WP (most of them) will not support it, as they would be cutting costs. Same with the Android phones, the low budget ones don't all support OTG, which is mostly for Flagships.

Probably safe to say my 635 won't get it, but can't be sure until it's here unless someone knows more about the hardware in these things.

I'm really glad that you did all these research to uncover some mysterious questions running in my mind. I'm really thank full to you.
Accept my warm Regards.

TLuck Sharma

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Well, then we can only hope that our phones have a secret ability so that phones can enable OTG support. It will be very beneficial for me. And I can't afford a new flagship phone loaded with Windows10 and some high end processors.
Currently using Lumia 730.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
This is so simple, it was requested so much time ago. My friends went crazy when I presented them The USB OTG converter... On Android phones (I have a Tablet) .. You can even use USB storage key :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb