OTG support in Windows10 Mobile!

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If the 1520 which is currently the best WP out there can't support OTG, I'm actually going to look like a fool.
I paid nearly $500 for it, it has the snapdragon 800 which is almost the best you can get, and it won't support something my 5 year old Nokia N8 did.
Also I don't plan on buying any of the new flagships (not worth it yet), so basicly.. I'll have USB-OTG in like 3 years.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually the one that's crazy for sticking with Microsoft.

albert730

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Is the navigation bar in windows 10 mobile still solid black or accent colour. I would love it too be transparent or translucent just like the new tiles. If anyone is in the insider program please forward this suggestion.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, enough about Nav bar and notification centers, etc. Back on topic for me at least.

I have been doing some extensive research on this topic the last couple of days.

There is a uservoice for Windows Phone for OTG, which should definitely be linked in this topic.
Uservoice: Need USB ON-THE-GO (OTG) in Windows Phone
I've added all my remaining votes to this particular feature. I want it pretty bad.

Doing research, I've learned that the S4 does indeed support USB OTG, as found in the manufacturer's overview for the S4.

Reading further, I have learned that it is indeed the SoC that is used that determines whether or not the USB can act as OTG or not. It is either supported in the processor or not supported in the processor. Snapdragon S4 has it, the SoC used in the Lumia 635, 830, 640, 640 XL also has it. That's the Snapdragon 400 for those of you wondering. If the 400 has it, then I can only assume that all 4xx series has it, as well as higher series like 6xx and 8xx, as it would only be logical. I can guarantee that the 8xx series has it, as I have already found the phones with those models that contain OTG.

All that is left to do is for Microsoft to include support in either software or firmware updates (read, Windows 10 for Mobile) and we'll have the support we need. Microsoft, however, will need to enable support for each of these specific processors, and I don't know if they will do it for all or just the flagship models. Hopefully for all that support it. If I understand it correctly, the Snapdragon 200 will not support OTG, which means nothing for the 520/521, etc.

This has been a real headache trying to figure all this out. Only time will tell if we get it enabled. I'm holding on to the hope that we will. To me, this is certainly good news, if I'm correctly understanding all the technical white papers I've been reading lately.

It would be great if it is enabled in this next build. Please, someone post back here and let us know when you test out the next 105xx build. If it has it, I may be getting back into the Insider for my phone.

Last edited:

TLuck Sharma

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
@rhapdog, thanks for letting us know about this good news, this does gives me positive vibes.
The 105xx build is good(you'll have to hard reset your device once), and one major bug is that the Video playback is broken. Sometimes start screen shows loading screen if you have many tiles, and issue with Double security MS account.
Other than that its quite stable. But still "broken video playback" is not quite acceptable at this stage of OS bug fixing.
-
and one more thing I forgot to tell you about latest build is that it doesn't have a Hotspot setting. This is also not a good thing.
-
and Groove crashes often.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I was reading the "bugs list" for it, and no way can I attempt this build. Sure wish they put in OTG for it.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
@rhapdog, thanks for letting us know about this good news, this does gives me positive vibes.
The 105xx build is good(you'll have to hard reset your device once), and one major bug is that the Video playback is broken. Sometimes start screen shows loading screen if you have many tiles, and issue with Double security MS account.
Other than that its quite stable. But still "broken video playback" is not quite acceptable at this stage of OS bug fixing.
-
and one more thing I forgot to tell you about latest build is that it doesn't have a Hotspot setting. This is also not a good thing.
-
and Groove crashes often.
The video playback isn't broken. You just can't go full screen if you use the movies and tv app. Other video players and apps with video work fine.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
If you look through the comments of the user voice link, you will see this:

Andrea [MSFT] commented ? May 12, 2015 21:26 ? Flag as inappropriate
Hi, this is Andrea from the Microsoft USB team. I just wanted to update this thread and let you know that we have listened to your feedback and added USB Dual Role support to Windows 10. (Note, this feature will need new hardware,) Read more about this new feature on our USB Blog: New in Windows 10: USB Dual Role on Mobile - Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input

So, this does show that is coming and we just have to be patient. I doubt they would put in this work for nothing. However, something that frustratingly negates rhapdog's analysis of the snap dragon processor, is the quote below. Which seems to suggest that Microsoft intend to do things a little differently.

Please note, this feature will only be available on NEW Windows 10 devices that support USB Dual Role. This is because of the hardware changes required for the USB port to support device enumeration. While there are devices in the market today that have USB Dual Role capable controllers, the platforms were not designed to support USB Dual Role. New hardware may advertise that they are Dual Role capable.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what this means for older hardware.

Oswald Trubger

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have an Android Tablet that doesn't have USB OTG, but I can use it if enable it via rooting AND using an self-powered USB device or hub, because the port isn't prepared/wired to provide power to external devices. Perhaps it's a similar situation.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It looks like Microsoft is going to force us to obtain a new phone with a USB type C connection in order to take advantage of it, though it isn't necessary.

It also looks like they are going to USB 3.1 specification of OTG, which means it will not work with existing hardware on the market.

Looks like I'll have to grab the Bluetooth keyboard on the cheap and use Miracast until I decide to make the plunge with new hardware.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
It looks like Microsoft is going to force us to obtain a new phone with a USB type C connection in order to take advantage of it, though it isn't necessary.

It also looks like they are going to USB 3.1 specification of OTG, which means it will not work with existing hardware on the market.

Looks like I'll have to grab the Bluetooth keyboard on the cheap and use Miracast until I decide to make the plunge with new hardware.

IIt's not a force

Sooner or later budget phone also get USB type C. Technology evolving dude

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
All USB connections require a host controller and all devices communicate through that through a Master/Slave connection, it requires both firmware and hardware support not just on the SoC but also low-level power requirements, connector and mainboard design. This adds additional costs to manufacture which on a low-end device is already razor thin for something that is considered a low usage feature even on Android. Also the connection port is not always standard requiring an additional adaptor. All OTG Master devices require a Micro-AB port, if your phone doesn't have that then you won't get OTG from what I understand.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Regardless, it would be silly to leave out any form of OTG or USB Dual Role with some of continuum's features. It would limit further potential for continuum if they left it out, in my opinion.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your detailed info, So I guess the windows10 brings only a new UI and apps support, no new features. Please don't remind me about notification centre's more icon, these are not new features at all, these are basic things a OS should posses. "Features" and capabilities makes a particular OS different and attractive in market. I know the Continuum is pretty good feature for upcoming flagships but what about current windows phones?

You kind of nailed it there. Win 10 so far is a new UI to support Continuum and universal and cross platform apps. If anything what made the platform good has been stripped away in the process. Feature sets have been oversimplified while at the same time the UI has become over complicated.

I still have some hope but I fear WP10 will be what Win 8.0 was was to the desktop. If that's the case it could mean Microsoft's exit to the mobile OS and a refocus to being a services company to android/iOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)