OTG support in Windows10 Mobile!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah android requires an app for flashlight while ios and windows 10 have it built in. Small differences.

W10M has the flashlight built in, but it is not yet released. Android Lollipop is the first version to have it built in, but it was released about a year ago. Small differences.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey, at least Android users have the option of installing an app for OTG hard drive support! :winktongue:

I think it is only WP users that complain about using apps, again, probably because we're used to not having them. WP users do not automatically think "There's an app for that" like iOS and Android users. Apple started the app craze, and Google exacerbated it. But hey, that's the way the mobile ecosystem is, WP included. Some of that will ease with W10M, but I'm sure there will still be plenty of app requirement there.

Hang on, the next months will be an exciting ride! :grin:

Yeah, I've heard some complaints from a few people (that I spoke to in person, not here on the forums) that said, "I tried Windows Phone, but I couldn't find an app for such and such." I told them the reason there was no app was because it was built-in the OS. No app required. Then I showed them how to do it on my phone and they were amazed.

Sometimes the app gap is because we don't have snapchat or a bank app, other times it's because of a misunderstanding of the OS.

All the OSes are fine for what they do. I just prefer the way Windows does it. (UI mostly.) I also prefer the performance per $ of phone cost, considering it takes high-end hardware to be as smooth on the other phones, and I've got that smooth on my $80 L640 and my $35 L635.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've heard some complaints from a few people (that I spoke to in person, not here on the forums) that said, "I tried Windows Phone, but I couldn't find an app for such and such." I told them the reason there was no app was because it was built-in the OS. No app required. Then I showed them how to do it on my phone and they were amazed.

Sometimes the app gap is because we don't have snapchat or a bank app, other times it's because of a misunderstanding of the OS.

All the OSes are fine for what they do. I just prefer the way Windows does it. (UI mostly.) I also prefer the performance per $ of phone cost, considering it takes high-end hardware to be as smooth on the other phones, and I've got that smooth on my $80 L640 and my $35 L635.

Most of what you stated here is outdated. It used to be that way, but not so much anymore. WP has less built in, and Android has more. WP is actually turning into what Android was a couple years ago, and that's part of what concerns me with its direction. Features out the wazoo, and performance and stability degradation to go along with it.

Android has plenty of low cost handsets that will hold their own against a similar priced WP. The stuff you and poopyfinger stated in the previous few posts indicates that you aren't keeping current on what's happening outside of Microsoft.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
You mean Android has a phone for $80 that can keep up with the performance of a Lumia 640? I've not seen any Android phones under $100 that don't have a bit of lag or lack in some of the features of my Lumia 640, and I mean the ones currently on the market. Android, yes even the latest version, if run on the same exact low-end hardware of a Windows Phone, will be outperformed by said Windows Phone. That's not outdated information. That's the facts. I bought my Lumia 635 for $35. Find a similarly priced Android with 512MB RAM that can run as smooth under the same hardware. Find one that will still be running smooth after one year of running and having apps, like the 635 has.

We're off topic. If you'd like to continue, let's start a new topic, PM me with a link, and we can continue the "phone war" over there.

I'm not anti-android, I just feel WP was my better deal for what I can get for my dollar, that's all. If I was anti-android, I wouldn't be wanting to get the Android labeled NFC stickers to play around with. ;)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
W10M has the flashlight built in, but it is not yet released. Android Lollipop is the first version to have it built in, but it was released about a year ago. Small differences.

Really because my friend has lollipop on his htc and it's not built in. He has an app.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
A lot of people are so used to needing to have apps, they never look to see if something is built-in. It's a common thing.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people are so used to needing to have apps, they never look to see if something is built-in. It's a common thing.

Yes that's right. And it seems to me that the flashlight is something that should never have needed an app. It should have been a built in function from the beginning.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's built in. It should be in the Quick Settings. Do a 2 finger drag down from the top of the screen. Or say, "OK Google, turn on flashlight."
That's correct.

69e5d8ff98bf24a6b62cbb51bd02e6cb.jpg

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs