Build 10512 Thread

ak1520

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Nope. I think it's more of a Groove app issue. I feel your pain. The app needs updating. Just like the Outlook app, which handles multiple email accounts horribly.

Yeah, waiting on pins and needles for the explore function to get up and running. I saw an update for Groove after the build release earlier, but not sure what the groove update addressed.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So the new build is out. Anyone install it yet? I'm hesitant given the list of known bugs. Not having a working hotspot is a killer for me and no video playback isnt a good one either.
  • Mobile hotspot doesn't work in this build. When sharing the Internet from your phone using Mobile Hotspot, devices will fail to get a valid IP address from your phone and will show no internet access.
  • Two-factor authentication for your MSA with a phone number doesn't work in this build. If you reset your phone and go through the first run experience, you won't be able to input more than 2 characters for validating phone or text authentication. If you have a secondary email for two-factor authentication ? you can choose that. As a workaround, add secondary email for two-factor authentication.
  • Some phones might spend a long time in the post update migration experience ? just let the phone sit and it should complete this migration.
  • Apps that use background audio such as Groove, Podcast, Pandora, etc. will crash when launching after receiving an app update from the Store. Rebooting the device will resolve this issue.
  • Some phones with a large number of tiles pinned to the Start screen may get stuck in a state where the device shows "Loading?"; the device will need to be reset or rolled back to Windows Phone 8.1 using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.
  • Some apps may fail to update through the Store with the error code 0x80073cf9; uninstalling the application and reinstalling it will resolve this issue.
  • The Movies & TV app will not work in this build (video playback is currently broken).

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Those who have indicated that certain apps are slow to load, did you perform a hard reset after your upgrade? I'm wondering if that might be part of the issue. It might also be that the initial launches take additional time to sort themselves out, hard reset or not. I'd be curious how quickly they open after 30-60 minutes and a restart.

The gears are churning on my 1520 and it appears to be about two-thirds completed. I'm looking forward to being up and running again. :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So the new build is out. Has anyone installed it yet? I'm hesitant given the list of known bugs. A non-working hotspot is a killer for me.

Issues that's been fixed
  • General improvement in overall stability and performance.
  • You can now set the Lock screen and background image from within the Photos app.
  • We fixed an issue where apps installed on SD cards weren’t working after a reboot.
  • We have improved Latvian and Chinese inputs.
  • We have made improvements to the Kid’s Corner tile layout.
  • We have improved reliability of Data Sense notifications.
  • Modified Shape Writing algorithm to be less aggressive in suggesting contact names over common words.
  • Resolved an issue where Camera would not launch when the phone was locked.
  • We fixed an issue where notifications for incoming text messages weren’t appearing.
  • We fixed an issue where the touch screen wouldn’t be responsive after ending a phone call on some devices.
  • We fixed an issue where folder tiles have obviously overlapping text.

Known issues
  • Mobile hotspot doesn’t work in this build. When sharing the Internet from your phone using Mobile Hotspot, devices will fail to get a valid IP address from your phone and will show no internet access.
  • Two-factor authentication for your MSA with a phone number doesn’t work in this build. If you reset your phone and go through the first run experience, you won’t be able to input more than 2 characters for validating phone or text authentication. If you have a secondary email for two-factor authentication – you can choose that. As a workaround, add secondary email for two-factor authentication.
  • Some phones might spend a long time in the post update migration experience – just let the phone sit and it should complete this migration.
  • Apps that use background audio such as Groove, Podcast, Pandora, etc. will crash when launching after receiving an app update from the Store. Rebooting the device will resolve this issue.
  • Some phones with a large number of tiles pinned to the Start screen may get stuck in a state where the device shows “Loading…”; the device will need to be reset or rolled back to Windows Phone 8.1 using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.
  • Some apps may fail to update through the Store with the error code 0x80073cf9; uninstalling the application and reinstalling it will resolve this issue.
  • The Movies & TV app will not work in this build (video playback is currently broken).
  • One other note is that the Insider Hub is not yet included in the new build.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Crap, instead of a 1/2 hour upgrading before I can play, I got about an hour and 1/2, so, now on 10166 and checking for updates and it says my phone is up to date.... WTF ?
Hmm. If you have Windows Insider installed and you have selected Fast Ring, you could perhaps switch to Slow Ring, then try switching back to Fast Ring? It might trigger something that got borked.

Also, are you clicking the checkbox when selecting Fast Ring? I might be a bit slow, but there have been a couple times I've tapped Fast Ring, then not clicked the checkbox at the bottom (or is it an arrow? I can't remember) to proceed with the Fast Ring selection. I am smart. :)

rtwright68

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Crap, instead of a 1/2 hour upgrading before I can play, I got about an hour and 1/2, so, now on 10166 and checking for updates and it says my phone is up to date.... WTF ?

I had to re-run the Windows Insider app, select fast ring (didn't require a restart) and then it allowed me to start the download of 10512. Weird.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You know you could also just link to the WinCentral posts instead of quoting the entire list, right? :)

Yes, I do, but I felt since the "bugs" and "fixes" were in 2 seperate articles, I thought I would list them here for everyone to read. But thanks for pointing that out. :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Store is very slow to open - blue blank screen for 1 min - but now i can upgrade apps - but again downloading and install very slow
I couldn't get past the blue screen on power, on wifi and after restart, but unplugging and going on LTE only got me past it. Maybe coincidence. Thankfully there was a store update in the store, and the updated version launches a lot faster.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had to re-run the Windows Insider app, select fast ring (didn't require a restart) and then it allowed me to start the download of 10512. Weird.

I had to do the same thing and you are supposed to do that after each new build. It's downloading. Still not sure if I'm going to let it install yet.

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Can anybody tell me if mobile hotspot working or not?
I am able to enable the mobile hotspot, and I can see if on my Surface Pro 3 and then attempt to connect to it. Lumia shows that there is one connection, but then my SP3 comes back that the connection is limited, and I'm unable to access the internet. :( Sorry...

Carl Anderson

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
--hmmm, Cortana is now back to Search then I ran "search" and it changed back to Cortana.

My "Quiet Hours" in the notification center is blinking again, like 10049.

theolympusguy

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I have never had a build run good without a hard reset. Both of my Lumia's are done with the upgrade and are hard reseting right now.

Each and every build ran AWFUL on my 1520 and 640 until I did the hard reset.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just updated my Lumia Icon from 10166 to 10512 and it's sitting on the lock screen, with no touch responsiveness.
I tried a soft reset and still not touch.
I wonder if that's the background updating stuff that people talk about.
I'll let it sit for a while and see what happens.
If nothing, within 30 minutes, I'll hard reset.
JJ

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have never had a build run good without a hard reset. Both of my Lumia's are done with the upgrade and are hard reseting right now.

I agree. I do think it's a good idea poke around a little bit first, simply because in the end, Microsoft is likely going to want to know how it goes, since most of their users likely won't do a hard reset when W10M is finally released. But after that initial poking around, I tend to do a hard reset, just to be on the safe side.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

See, I have to TRY to update first, I am talking an easy 2 hours setting up accounts (3 email accounts, Facebook, Twitter, and 3 other accounts), marking apps for install, configuring each app for what I need, side loading apps I need, etc.

I really want to avoid that hassle if possible, if all else fails, it's try again with a hard reset or roll back to 8.1 again...

It really is a major hassle to do a hard reset and start from scratch, never mind all the game saves I lose (some actually support app backup, SHOCKER)

Still installing....10166> now waiting for 10512 to finish up, gears, looks about 90% or so done....I am sure it will take a bit...leaving in the QI charger through the whole install...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3