08-27-2015 10:51 PM
32 12
tools
    How can MS release a new version without fixing internet sharing? This is ESSENTIAL for any version of the software and it means that this release is USELESS.
    When are we going to see a fix? Hope it's not going to take another month!
    08-12-2015 07:42 PM
    How can MS release a new version without fixing internet sharing? This is ESSENTIAL for any version of the software and it means that this release is USELESS.
    In installing the preview, they were able to clearly tell you that this is a preview build and it is by your own choice to upgrade into the build 10512. And it was meant to be tested by patient people willing to help in the creation of the software. Preview builds are not meant as daily drivers but are used for testing and feedback as well.
    Because they believe their warning they have given to you before you install their software has taken effect.
    08-12-2015 07:45 PM
    its just a preview build....
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-12-2015 07:59 PM
    Because they believe their warning they have given to you before you install their software has taken effect.
    Yup.

I mean, how can you even say that and be serious? If you want your hotspot go back to 8.1, nobody guaranteed you anything.
    And also..is it really that essential to you? I've never used that feature in my whole life.
    08-12-2015 08:04 PM
    This feature is essential for me. And thats why i am not upgrading to this build. Not sure if its not working for anyone.
    08-12-2015 08:12 PM
    This feature is essential for me. And thats why i am not upgrading to this build. Not sure if its not working for anyone.
    With all due deference, not everyone thinks or knows that hotspot is essential for life to go on here on planet Earth. If you must have the hotspot don't update to 10512 and stay on 10166 or 8.!. and oh by the way stop whining please.
    08-12-2015 08:15 PM
    In installing the preview, they were able to clearly tell you that this is a preview build and it is by your own choice to upgrade into the build 10512. And it was meant to be tested by patient people willing to help in the creation of the software. Preview builds are not meant as daily drivers but are used for testing and feedback as well.
    ven07, Robinsonmac and RumoredNow like this.
    08-12-2015 09:31 PM
    It's a bug in this build, plain and simple, and we were warned as much... although if your phone is set to receive updates and you were on Fast ring, you may not have had a chance to read before phone downloaded the build. Sigh.
    ven07 likes this.
    08-12-2015 09:47 PM
    With all due deference, not everyone thinks or knows that hotspot is essential for life to go on here on planet Earth.
    Hahaha
    08-12-2015 10:05 PM
    Why. Why indeed.

Why would you install an update with a KNOWN bug that disables something YOU see as essential?

Why would you use a technical preview and nit expect issues?
    ven07, xandros9, stevemind and 2 others like this.
    08-12-2015 10:09 PM
    Play dangerous games win dangerous prizes.

Sorry if you were blindsided by it, but it was documented and you agreed to the kind of shenanigans when you first installed it. I can provide a screenshot of it if you'd like. You go in prepared to deal with the worst at any moment, mostly. And its a known issue.
    08-12-2015 10:30 PM
    I think the problem here is that people start downloading before knowing the issues of the latest build, I did :) If MS put the list of problems that Gabe Aul publishes on his blog into a new update description and have people confirm that yes, I want it anyway, it would save people some problems.
    08-13-2015 03:50 AM
    yeah because anybody is reading the update description....
    08-13-2015 06:14 AM
    yeah because anybody is reading the update description....
    Maybe not the first time.
    08-13-2015 08:19 AM
    Essential? Really? Since they wouldn't release a build last week with a blocking bug, I'm willing to bet they don't consider a hotspot essential or it would have been a blocking bug. I'm willing to bet that MS has telemetry data saying it's not so essential that they can't release a preview build without it.

I understand it's important and essential to you, but for most users, it's probably not, especially in a technical preview.
    08-13-2015 11:10 AM
    I think the problem here is that people start downloading before knowing the issues of the latest build, I did :) If MS put the list of problems that Gabe Aul publishes on his blog into a new update description and have people confirm that yes, I want it anyway, it would save people some problems.
    Not really. The point is if your on the fast ring you should expect things like this and if the OP wasn't before then he should've done some research as you don't just magically join the insider program :) All in all, by now most of us know that MS always (could change at some point) publishes a list with known issues, so instead of jumping in head first, it would've been wiser to wait for the list and not expect a company to keep track of every users wishes and demands
    08-13-2015 05:26 PM
    All I am saying they are writing that list anyway. It would not kill them to copy paste it to one more place.
    08-14-2015 07:06 AM
    Windows Insider is for people who want some things to not work. Fast track is for people who want even more to not work.

But the fun of Insider is playing with the new toys even when some things break.
    Al4video and ven07 like this.
    08-14-2015 07:10 AM
    Never used it EVER.....i use 3G out and about and wifi @ home! Just like 99% of the worlds population.
    Clues in the name.....PREVIEW
    08-14-2015 07:22 AM
    il skip this update and wait for it to go to the slow ring then update then
    08-14-2015 07:39 AM
    That's the most reasonable thing to do if you really want the latest software update which is more stable than the first release.
    08-14-2015 10:06 AM
    Seeing potential problems ahead I downgraded my 920 back to Wp8.1, the main reason being I needed a 100% functional phone for my trip upto Newcastle. As nice the previous build it was; it is by no means 100% reliable as a daily driver especially for a 7 hour trip.

This is why you should be testing on a cheap secondary phone and not your main phone, I find it extremely hilarious that people are blaming Microsoft for their 930's etc not working properly with the preview. Microsoft didn't make you install the preview onto your sole device did they? .

One side benefit I noticed from the preview is that when re-flashing Wp8.1 onto my 920 the progress bar only filled up once (took a few minutes); whereas previously it will need to fill up twice before booting into the O/S thus taking much longer (approx. 15 minutes).
    ven07 and xandros9 like this.
    08-14-2015 12:06 PM
    wp_ss_20150622_0001.png

I'm gonna leave this here.
    08-14-2015 12:58 PM
    The bigger question is why install it if you need hotspots so bad?
    ven07 likes this.
    08-14-2015 02:19 PM
    The bigger question is why install it if you need hotspots so bad?
    Well, it wasn't broken before and OP probably installed it before reading the notes/known issues. Probably assumed it wouldn't be an issue in the future, which I guess isn't irrational at all.

But now we know these things can happen, so careful.
    ven07 likes this.
    08-14-2015 02:25 PM
32 12