Build 10512 is worse than 10166 and here's why...

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I have done some searching on this forum and on twitter and I really can't find too many people complaining about build 10512 being worse than 10166. First off let me say that I knew Windows 10 was pretty much feature locked and wasn't expecting anything new. So with that in mind, what I WAS expecting was a lot of improvements in stability, performance, and bug fixes. I assume that was the goal for this build and being that the last one was nearly a month ago, they had a lot of time to fix issues and improve performance. This is only from my experience with my 929, I haven't tested it on my 822 yet (not much really).

So, to my surprise, here is what I found to be worse than build 10166. (this is not a list of bugs from 10512, just what I observed to be there NOW that was not before.)

1. Lock screen takes at least 3 seconds to show information when pressing the power button. Sometimes it doesn't show it at all. This can get very annoying when trying to quickly access the time or see information. No problems at all with 10166.

2. Stuttering animation from start screen to all apps list. Perfectly smooth on 10166.

3. No notifications on the lock screen for email, messaging, NOTHING. Nothing displays on the lock screen but time and date... ever. Didn't have this problem with the last build.

4. Random sounds play for text messaging. When I first heard the notification sound for text messages, I thought it was a nice new sound, but then the old one (from the last build and Windows 10) would play on future messages, then sometimes I get the 8.1 sound for text messages, its all over the place. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why one sound plays over the next. With 10166 it was the standard notification sound like on desktops for Windows 10.

5. Text message toasts, notifications, and sometimes sounds don't work with this build.

6. Messaging app crashes more frequently than in 10166.

7. When pressing the camera button on the phone, it opens the Lumina Camera app (after I took my first picture with this build). When that app opens up I see the last picture I took full screen and I can't do anything about it. When I touch the screen to try and bring up a menu or do something, it turns the flash light on or off. The only was to get out of it is to close the app. So I have to open the camera app via all apps menu now to use the camera, not sure how to fix this.

So these are all the problems I have with 10512 that WEREN'T there with 10166 or are worse now. On top of all the small bugs and problems that came with 10166. I literally see ZERO improvements from this build, like literally nothing is better only worse. I'm not one of those people who complain about issues without understanding the scope of the situation. I KNOW this is a preview build and I know there will be bugs. I'm just surprised that a much newer build (that had over a month of development) with a much higher build number would have more issues than the previous one. I also don't really see the noticeable overall speed of the OS being faster like Dan and Zac from Winbeta talked about.

And before anyone says anything, yes I did I hard reset, let the phone sit, and did a soft a reset..as with previous builds. I would love to hear feedback on this and see if I'm the only one who feels this way. On the same token I thought it was strange hearing a lot of people complain about 10166 and all the problems they had with it. For me, 10166 was just as smooth and fast as 8.1 and I had almost no issues, I was really excited for this build to fix the minor ones that were there.

With all that being said, I'm still excited for Win10 Mobile and will continue to test preview builds and send feedback. Windows 10 mobile still looks promising and can't wait for the final release.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Worse than 10166? Zero improvements? ZERO?? Wow, way to pee on my corn flakes. Doesn't feel that way to me since I can do things in this build I could not do before like install apps, launch apps without have the wait bug, instantly launch my music app Groove and play music among quite a few other things. If this build for you is worse, roll on back to 8.1 and wait until fall for whatever phones Microsoft drops. I hope by then, something will be noticeable for you.
But I'm also wise enough to know its the next step on the march to greatness. Ergo, its not done yet and there will be other builds.

GoBucksIL

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I would tend to agree with you based on my experience with 10512 on a 640 XL. I figure it is my turn to experience more issues than others as I have certainly had builds that received many complaints but ran fine for me.

My pain points:

1) I feel I am always checking for missed messages and phone calls as toasts and notifications don't seem to be consistent
2) Bluetooth and Wi-Fi randomly drop and do not seem to connect to my devices as easily
3) Photos don't backup as quickly or at all to OneDrive
4) Camera is often stuck on Saving or Processing after taking a few shots (I notice this more when using Rich Capture)

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually have another weird Camera bug, when I open it, it's sometimes in a different aspect ratio than how I'm holding my phone (so sometimes I'm holding my phone like I would a camera, and it's viewing as a letterbox with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen... large, black boxes).

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The "feature complete" is what has me worried. I figured many of the missing features would make it in but it appears that "lacking functionality" is a feature. It has been a rough ride watching things disappear since WP 8.0 release after release.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The "feature complete" is what has me worried. I figured many of the missing features would make it in but it appears that "lacking functionality" is a feature. It has been a rough ride watching things disappear since WP 8.0 release after release.
That to me means there will be no new features added. I have not heard that the features it once had in prior builds are not returning in future builds. It means the concentration is fixing bugs in the features it has then joining it all up in one OS. Its a progression. They chose to allow us to give input via TP but that doesn't mean we get to see it all at once.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
The only one of the issues I'm having you mentioned is the 3 second delay on the lock screen. This is slightly annoying and was not present in previous builds. I get the notification icons after the delay though. However, my Bluetooth connectivity seems to be much more reliable with 10512 and so far no problems with messaging notifications (sometimes in 10166 it failed to notify me of an incoming text). I'm not able to duplicate the camera issue you are having and this build is noticeably faster for me with the exception of the lock screen issue. The only other annoying issue I'm having with this build is Outlook Mail and Outlook Calendar will not update through the Store (results in error) but the apps are functional otherwise. Other than those 2 things, everything else is either the same or fixed/improved in this build.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That to me means there will be no new features added. I have not heard that the features it once had in prior builds are not returning in future builds. It means the concentration is fixing bugs in the features it has then joining it all up in one OS. Its a progression. They chose to allow us to give input via TP but that doesn't mean we get to see it all at once.

For me I'd be happy if these made it back:
  • History in people app
  • Notifications on person tiles
  • Ability to select photos from source/folder
  • Ability to see newly taken/saved photos without having to wait 15-20 seconds for the app to refresh. They should add the Jeopardy theme song while it refreshes.

It mostly boils down to the People and Photos app. While I like the combined date view they threw some good things away.

I can understand the photo app but it's like they are trying to save some bad choices there. The decisions behind the people app in general really have me perplexed. Only obvious changes were round photos that move around and all the useful features were removed. Can anyone point out what we gained on the people app?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Worse than 10166? Zero improvements? ZERO?? Wow, way to pee on my corn flakes. Doesn't feel that way to me since I can do things in this build I could not do before like install apps, launch apps without have the wait bug, instantly launch my music app Groove and play music among quite a few other things. If this build for you is worse, roll on back to 8.1 and wait until fall for whatever phones Microsoft drops. I hope by then, something will be noticeable for you.
But I'm also wise enough to know its the next step on the march to greatness. Ergo, its not done yet and there will be other builds.

Once again, this is just my experience with my device (929) and yes based on the apps that I use and how I use them, I haven't noticed anything better. I'm not saying that 10512 doesn't have improvements overall, I know that it does...I am just not EXPERIENCING them. And if you read my last paragraph, what I alluded to was the same thing you just said about the march to greatness. I know it's just a build and I know it will get better/fixed with future builds and ultimately the final release. Suggesting I roll back to 8.1 is a moot point because I'm experienced enough to know what I'm doing with these builds and if I can use 10136 as a daily driver then I can definitely deal with 10512. I started with 10080, so if I can deal with that I can pretty much handle any build.

I would place my experience with 10512 somewhere between 10149 and 10166. Its better than the former but not as a good as the latter. And as someone mentioned below, it seems like people who the same exact phone on the same service with the same build can get greatly differently results and have more problems than others. Guess it's just my turn, it's no biggie.

lumia630buddy

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi,I am using a Lumia 630 and I wish to enroll as an insider.630 is my primary device, so is it okay to install a technical preview on my phone. Should I opt for fast or slow ring?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi,I am using a Lumia 630 and I wish to enroll as an insider.630 is my primary device, so is it okay to install a technical preview on my phone. Should I opt for fast or slow ring?
Fast vs Slow ring is the difference between those riding on the bleeding edge and those waiting to see how many survive before jumping in. Many of us on the Fast Ring anticipate there will be deficiencies in the build and are still willing to embrace the build head-on anyway. That information is fed back to developers at MS via debug code installed with the build, Uservoice service and probably forums like this one, the OS is tweaked for those on Slow Ring where you should see fewer of those deficiencies. Because you asked the question, I would recommend you go Slow Ring but the choice is entirely up to you.

lumia630buddy

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Fast vs Slow ring is the difference between those riding on the bleeding edge and those waiting to see how many survive before jumping in. Many of us on the Fast Ring anticipate there will be deficiencies in the build and are still willing to embrace the build head-on anyway. That information is fed back to developers at MS via debug code installed with the build, Uservoice service and probably forums like this one, the OS is tweaked for those on Slow Ring where you should see fewer of those deficiencies. Because you asked the question, I would recommend you go Slow Ring but the choice is entirely up to you.
Hm,I am opting for slow ring.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's really shameful that this build, a month later, would go backwards in functionality.

No hotspot and dropping wifi shouldn't be happening. Staying with 10166.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos