Build 10512 is worse than 10166 and here's why...

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The only one of the issues I'm having you mentioned is the 3 second delay on the lock screen. This is slightly annoying and was not present in previous builds. I get the notification icons after the delay though. However, my Bluetooth connectivity seems to be much more reliable with 10512 and so far no problems with messaging notifications (sometimes in 10166 it failed to notify me of an incoming text). I'm not able to duplicate the camera issue you are having and this build is noticeably faster for me with the exception of the lock screen issue. The only other annoying issue I'm having with this build is Outlook Mail and Outlook Calendar will not update through the Store (results in error) but the apps are functional otherwise. Other than those 2 things, everything else is either the same or fixed/improved in this build.
Same here on an hTC One M8

lumia630buddy

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Chosen slow ring with insider app. But the phone shows an update to windows phone 8.1 is available. Is it the windows phone 8.1 update 2? Is there any way I can directly get windows 10 build?
Help!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I would update everything then go for 10, and have you taken into account you really need to do a hard reset of your phone to get a decent W10 insider experience.

You mention this is your day to day phone, when you do a hard reset your contacts easily come back over from your PC, but you have to download all your apps again, not a problem for me as I wanted to clean them all out anyway.

Back up as much as you can if you are at all concerned about losing stuff.

Just thought I would mention it in case you hadn't seen it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Only thing you really lose is some application data for apps that don't store to cloud. Also, if you are going from Win 10 to Win 10 be careful as photos don't seem to backup to OneDrive. My OneDrive photo sync ended the last 8.1 build I was on and haven't been able to get it working again.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Chosen slow ring with insider app. But the phone shows an update to windows phone 8.1 is available. Is it the windows phone 8.1 update 2? Is there any way I can directly get windows 10 build?
Help!
Moat likely it is the update that fixes a reboot issue some people had. Tap on "details" and it should tell you.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I had a bad impression with 166, and did a hard reset before and after installing 512.

I'm very impressed with 512. It's very fast and battery friendly.

Some apps, though, are not working properly. Pocket Casts won't open at all and Tapatalk is not turning to dark mode nor saving some preferences.

Sent with Lumia 640XL

LeFreak

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Worse than 10166? Zero improvements? ZERO?? Wow, way to pee on my corn flakes. Doesn't feel that way to me since I can do things in this build I could not do before like install apps, launch apps without have the wait bug, instantly launch my music app Groove and play music among quite a few other things. If this build for you is worse, roll on back to 8.1 and wait until fall for whatever phones Microsoft drops. I hope by then, something will be noticeable for you.
But I'm also wise enough to know its the next step on the march to greatness. Ergo, its not done yet and there will be other builds.

He is simply giving his opinion on the build.
No one can disagree with YOUR opinion, is that it?

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree that the progress from build to build is questionable.For inatance we have the quite hours flashing notification which was an issue in one of the earlier builds.Then it was fixed and now it is back again.Issues that were not a problem in earlier builds have suddenly become prblems also.Looks like the developers are struggling to find a balace.Whenever they fix something,it affects another area.I believe MS are aware of this though and this latest build is an effort to provide core functionality to testers.I am hopefull that the next build will be the best yet

safariking

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
What i don't get is why release a new build when there are still some annoying bugs that where also in the first build of Windows 10 Mobile come on Microsoft you can do better then this! also quite hours is annoying in 10166 it was fixed well let's break it in 10512 :p

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Not saying any of the issues mentioned above are because of this, but it could show how software is often developed using a branch system.

So you get to a point in the new software, you leave a place holder and go on working, you leave another place holder, and so on and so on, then something goes wrong so you go back to an earlier place holder, but what one, the previous one before the fault or do you go back further because it turns out the seed for the fault is three builds back.

So a scenario like this is perfectly feasible:

Manus 31 wrote:
"For instance we have the quite hours flashing notification which was an issue in one of the earlier builds.Then it was fixed and now it is back again"

As said I am not saying this is what happened in this case, but it is the sort of thing you expect to see in software development.

And you all have to remember that is what is happening here, you are all playing about with software that is still a work in progress, it makes sense to flag up issues so that the developers can see what is happening, but to just moan and whinge is stupid as you all signed up for exactly this sort of stuff happening.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
So glad I don't have any of the issues mentioned in this thread asides from the 3 second lock screen. Its a TP by the way, other than that it sounds like it sucks to be you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb