Here Drive+ and Here Maps are gone in 10512

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I did my first W10 Mobile install on Lumia820. Installed using region US and did also a hard reset.
Also changed to Netherlands but then also no Here Drive+ and Here Maps available. This are must have apps for me so this is a big disappointment.
Also from lock-screen to start-screen is very slow. Loading.... messages.
So I'm going back as quick as I can to WP8.1 :unhappy:

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I did my first W10 Mobile install on Lumia820. Installed using region US and did also a hard reset.
Also changed to Netherlands but then also no Here Drive+ and Here Maps available. This are must have apps for me so this is a big disappointment.
Also from lock-screen to start-screen is very slow. Loading.... messages.
So I'm going back as quick as I can to WP8.1 :unhappy:

You know, you COULD give microsoft's replacement a chance before instantly discarding it and complaining that the old apps aren't there.

Ssrki

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, ms app is not so bad, but for me big mistake of ms maps is that I can't change voice navigation language. Language is linked with phone language. For me Here Maps is gone but here drive is still present.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, ms app is not so bad, but for me big mistake of ms maps is that I can't change voice navigation language. Language is linked with phone language. For me Here Maps is gone but here drive is still present.

And I have to ask.. WHY exactly would you want the navigation language to be different from your phone...? This sounds like just complaining for the sake of complaining here..

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
And I have to ask.. WHY exactly would you want the navigation language to be different from your phone...? This sounds like just complaining for the sake of complaining here..
If you have to ask you have never lived in a different country that has a different language than yours as main language. It is nice to have for some things your native language on the phone, while some main features of WP don't work if you would change your WP to anything but English. If everything is available in all languages, there wouldn't be a need for it.

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You know, you COULD give microsoft's replacement a chance before instantly discarding it and complaining that the old apps aren't there.

I would have but could not find a replacement. I looked for it in the app maps (I think that was the name) but could not discover any navigation functionality. Can you tell me the name of the app? Can it import favorites off here drive+?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
While the new maps has some similar features it seems to have a smaller feature set, much like everything else in Win 10. So if we get less functionality from the new version it makes sense Microsoft will remove it, that's what they like to do.

Comparing HERE to the new maps it looks like they took out all the extra features and the only added feature is a hamburger menu containing 3D cities.

Then the routing was kind of odd on the new one. I did something I normally do which is lookup directions and start the navigation when I was near my destination. The new map wanted me to drive all the way back to where I had originally started. It kept that up for a rather long while.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
What features are missing in the new Maps? I can find thing and navigate so core function is there. Useful features like favorites are synced with the desktop. There is the little around me icon which finds things close by that I like.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I would have but could not find a replacement. I looked for it in the app maps (I think that was the name) but could not discover any navigation functionality. Can you tell me the name of the app? Can it import favorites off here drive+?

Here drive capabilities exist inside Microsoft maps, and is using the same maps as Here, unfortunately, I don't think you can import here drive's favorites.

To get the gps going just tap the hamburger menu and select directions, then select your starting position and your destination (by default your starting position is your current position) after you've typed the location press search and select it, then you'll be moved to the gps navigation.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What features are missing in the new Maps? I can find thing and navigate so core function is there. Useful features like favorites are synced with the desktop. There is the little around me icon which finds things close by that I like.

I still need to use it more for better feel, but I actually like the new Maps so far because it's tightly sync'ed with the new Bing map which is essentially the same mapping data as here.com but with better features IMO. Managing favorites in here.com was okay but somewhat slow on my PC. Also, Here Drive+ doesn't let me search my saved favorites or pick through the categories. It's not a big deal if you have only a few entries but it's a major pain if you have a long list of saved places. In fact, I always launch Here map which makes it a bit easier to choose my destination and then launch Drive+ from there. With the new Maps, it's all in one app and it seems to run very fast.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Man they need an import,

I migrated from google My Maps, to Nokia's mapping service with collections and now if it's going, I gotta do it again for microsoft favourites? Well I was annoyed that cortana couldn't see any of my Here favourites.....

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

The augmented reality view is gone. Also, HERE Drive had the My Commute, ability to set route settings (toll, dirt roads, etc.) and had a UI much better suited to using in a car. Nearby was simpler and quicker to use in HERE.

Overall the map UI just feels more thrown together and less optimized for phone and car use. But that argument has been made about WP 10 in general.

But the integration with Cortana data is nice.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just discovered another thing the map app lacks. A driving mode when not in an active route navigation. You just get north up wide zoom.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just open up HERE Drive and drive around. You'll see what I mean. The new map doesn't have a 3D driving mode.

When I went on the feedback it seemed to be a common complaint that the UI was not car friendly. Elements too small, hard to read, hard to touch, poor use of space, bad landscape mode, etc. were all mentioned.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Not so strange, I prefer English as phone language but at the same time I prefer voice navigation to be on my native Croatian language...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb