Here Drive+ and Here Maps are gone in 10512

divyan

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
My experience is that Here drive is very slow to sync with GPS. Especially if I stop in a traffic signal for a minute, then start the car. While testing a known route, it asked me to take a left instead of a right. Then after I drove 50 meters in the right direction, Here drive rerouted to show the correct road. Later on, it took me to a dead end and then went into endless loop.

This happened on TP 10512.

PS : This is not a complaint or whining, while I love the new Here Maps, there are things MS still should streamline.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The augmented reality view is gone. Also, HERE Drive had the My Commute, ability to set route settings (toll, dirt roads, etc.) and had a UI much better suited to using in a car. Nearby was simpler and quicker to use in HERE.

Overall the map UI just feels more thrown together and less optimized for phone and car use. But that argument has been made about WP 10 in general.

But the integration with Cortana data is nice.

If you tell Cortana where your Work location is she will optionally give traffic info/trip time to work which is what the My Commute was. In fact she does it for all meetings too so that feature is done another way.

When you ask for directions the Options section allows selection of Toll roads etc.

I agree Augmented view is gone though.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Will I lose the Lumia and Here apps when I hard reset? Yes or no
Not sure. I think it might depend on your region. I installed 10512 on my AT&T (U.S.) 1520 and did a hard reset and found HERE Drive and HERE maps installed by default (as part of my phone's "stock apps") strangely enough. Of course they had to update through the store along with about 37 other apps.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, HERE seems to be there (sorry, had to say that). I've got it now but haven't hard reset either. It doesn't show in the store but that doesn't always mean it can't install.

Cortana knows my work and home but doesn't seem to alert me to issues like MyCommute did on HERE. Perhaps I need to check more closely.

I guess the big issues then are poor UI for use in car (all over feedback too), no 3D driving mode outside of an actual route and no augmented reality.

Biggest thing people on feedback are mentioning is confusing controls, hard to read and poor use of space.

I figure it is that way because they are trying to make it a universal app on the desktop and phone. However, trying to be both it fails to excel at either. I fear this may be the result of designing for Continuum.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
You know, you COULD give microsoft's replacement a chance before instantly discarding it and complaining that the old apps aren't there.

As long as M$ maps run offline, i have no issue with not having Here maps. I think Maps app is pretty good. Especially for manually navigating directions (not dummie mode Navigtaion)

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The augmented reality view is gone. Also, HERE Drive had the My Commute, ability to set route settings (toll, dirt roads, etc.) and had a UI much better suited to using in a car. Nearby was simpler and quicker to use in HERE.

Overall the map UI just feels more thrown together and less optimized for phone and car use. But that argument has been made about WP 10 in general.

But the integration with Cortana data is nice.

My Commute is in (and integrated with) Cortana. To get to route settings for toll roads etc.) open directions, then options. If by augmented reality view you mean aerial photo ) vs roadmap, click the layers icon.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My Commute is in (and integrated with) Cortana. To get to route settings for toll roads etc.) open directions, then options. If by augmented reality view you mean aerial photo ) vs roadmap, click the layers icon.

Augmented reality is where you can use the screen combined with the GPS and compass to view your surroundings superimposed with data. Kind of like a virtual reality compass.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
As long as M$ maps run offline, i have no issue with not having Here maps. I think Maps app is pretty good. Especially for manually navigating directions (not dummie mode Navigtaion)

Pretty good but not good enough compared to what the other platforms are doing these days. Although it's all subjective. Had they kept the HERE core and integrated it with Cortana the end result would have been better.

But I'm seeing more and more how Win 10 being designed for Continuum, universal app and android apps is making it optimized for neither mode of operation. This doesn't need to be the case. There are plenty of HTML5 frameworks that are highly adaptive to their environments.

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Will I lose the Lumia and Here apps when I hard reset? Yes or no

I lost it while running WP10 preview. Also hard reset didn't bring them back.
I downgraded back to 8.1 and there Here drive and maps is still available. Only thing I lost is saving maps to SD. Disappointed again :(

hairychad

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
All of my mail info is in Here so it looks like a revert is needed to 8.1 until either here is available or an export facility is given

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I remember that for some regions the HERE Drive and Maps did not come with the phone in 8.0 and 8.1 also, but there was never a problem to install them.

I have 2 Lumia phones running Preview 10 and both have Here Maps and Drive installed. As I recall the 930 had them by default on hard reset, for the 920 I had to get them in the store or change the phone location temporarily in settings to install them on the phone.

However they both work without issues on phone 10 preview.

Terryznn

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 Lumia 1520s , RM-937 and RM-938 , both are now on windows 10 build 10512 ,every time I updated so many apps stucked , stuck on loading to Start screen , Here drive and here map gone , I gone back to 8.1 , did the hard reset , re-installed the app then backed up . then updated again ..now both work fine , every apps I installed before work fine . :))

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I hope so, augmented reality is cool to have but not a deal breaker. Driving mode without an active route should be there. Then there is the whole non optimized UI problem. Luckily there is quite a bit of feedback on the UI issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes