Why can't I upgrade to build 10521 on my Lumia 640XL?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Cannot upgrade to build 10521 on my Lumia 640XL - help!

I have been battling this for the best part of a day.

I was on WP 8.1. I installed Windows Insider > Fast Ring and upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile TP. I hard reset the phone. I reinstalled Windows Insider > Fast Ring and then the update for the latest build appears.

I let it download and install but no matter how many times I try (the phone is always connected to a charger) it says:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later.

Error code: (0x80070003

I hard reset, followed the same steps - same thing.

How can I get the latest build?

Many thanks.

Ian

Ethan Weiss

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cannot upgrade to build 10521 on my Lumia 640XL - help!

I'm having the same problem with my 1520, however I'm already on a previous build of wp10. I cant even make it revert back to 8.1 because it keeps connecting/disconnecting its usb mode while hooked to my pc >.<

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Sorry everyone.

I just ended up going back to Windows 8.1 instead which is a shame because I wanted the new build on my main 640XL.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problem with my 1520, however I'm already on a previous build of wp10. I cant even make it revert back to 8.1 because it keeps connecting/disconnecting its usb mode while hooked to my pc >.<

Hmmm. I used the Lumia Restore Tool to go back to Windows 8.1. Ironically my defective Lumia 1520 upgraded to build 10521 without any issues,

I'm having the same problem on 640XL

Did you manage to solve it?

I have same issue but with "0x80244019" error on my L920 build 10166

Did it get solved or did you go back to Windows 8.1?

dryoussef21

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Hmmm. I used the Lumia Restore Tool to go back to Windows 8.1. Ironically my defective Lumia 1520 upgraded to build 10521 without any issues,

Did you manage to solve it?

Did it get solved or did you go back to Windows 8.1?

I won't revert bk to 8.1 ,,,when i've 10080 i did that to get 10149 and now i don't complain about current build except for EMAIL issues with Gmail accounts ..

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Honestly, I have found that factory reset after each build is the key. It's kind of the caveat that goes along with being an insider, unfortunately. I'm running insider editions on 1520, 630, 820, and 520 and all have updated to 10521 <eventually>. No, it's not always been smooth and it is a pain to reinstall apps, etc, but I am choosing to be on the program accepting all the downsides. My wife and daughter are plugging along with their 920's on 8.1 just as happy as can be! I am contributing this because it seems some don't want to use the recovery tool and revert back to 8.1 and re-do the insider installations. If I were you, I would do it, now, instead of later because it's just going to be worse when you do have to finally bite the bullet and factory reset pr revert. 10521 is amazing, compared to ANY previous build and highly recommended. I am a power user and run that build on my daily driver 1520 with minimal issues. No restarts for days, sometimes, unlike several tines a day on previous builds. Just my 2 cents and mho. -matt

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Honestly, I have found that factory reset after each build is the key. It's kind of the caveat that goes along with being an insider, unfortunately. I'm running insider editions on 1520, 630, 820, and 520 and all have updated to 10521 <eventually>. No, it's not always been smooth and it is a pain to reinstall apps, etc, but I am choosing to be on the program accepting all the downsides. My wife and daughter are plugging along with their 920's on 8.1 just as happy as can be! I am contributing this because it seems some don't want to use the recovery tool and revert back to 8.1 and re-do the insider installations. If I were you, I would do it, now, instead of later because it's just going to be worse when you do have to finally bite the bullet and factory reset pr revert. 10521 is amazing, compared to ANY previous build and highly recommended. I am a power user and run that build on my daily driver 1520 with minimal issues. No restarts for days, sometimes, unlike several tines a day on previous builds. Just my 2 cents and mho. -matt

Thanks for the reply Matt.

I went back to WP 8.1 sadly. I really want to try this new build for Windows 10 but I never managed to solve the issue mentioned at the top of this thread.

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the reply Matt.

I went back to WP 8.1 sadly. I really want to try this new build for Windows 10 but I never managed to solve the issue mentioned at the top of this thread.

Have you tried doing the upgrade again after reverting back? That's the point. Many of us have had to revert back, then try again. The bugs that exist in these preview builds aren't limited to every day usage. There are many bugs associated with the actual upgrading process. Do the upgrade again after reloading the insider app and before you get too far along reinstalling everything. I suspect it'll go fine. You may want to consider waiting a few days for the next build, however, because this one didn't come without it's caveats. No hotspot for me on my 1520. I use a lot! It's the first time an actual feature has disrupted my day on these preview builds.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried doing the upgrade again after reverting back? That's the point. Many of us have had to revert back, then try again. The bugs that exist in these preview builds aren't limited to every day usage. There are many bugs associated with the actual upgrading process. Do the upgrade again after reloading the insider app and before you get too far along reinstalling everything. I suspect it'll go fine. You may want to consider waiting a few days for the next build, however, because this one didn't come without it's caveats. No hotspot for me on my 1520. I use a lot! It's the first time an actual feature has disrupted my day on these preview builds.

Hello.

So, if I am on WP8.1 what should the exact process be?

WP8.1:

Install Insider App > Fast Right > Upgrade

WP10 (10166):

Hard reset
Install Insider app > Fast ring
Try to upgrade

WP10 (10521)

Hard reset.

Is that how it should be done?

dumgeek

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

My recommendation to you is not to upgrade. Release 10166 is far better than 10512. Release 10512 is very bad. It renders my phone like a peace of garbage! Dont touch it. Cheers

livejazz

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Hello.

So, if I am on WP8.1 what should the exact process be?

WP8.1:

Install Insider App > Fast Right > Upgrade

WP10 (10166):

Hard reset
Install Insider app > Fast ring
Try to upgrade

WP10 (10521)

Hard reset.

Is that how it should be done?

Really no need to hard reset (factory restore) until the last upgrade to current build. As long as the firmware loads it will provide a fresh factory restore. Not completely sure that the first preview build was 10166, but just keep upgrading, then factory restore at the end. Regarding the post just prior to this, everybody has different experiences with these builds depending on device and whether or not a factory restore is performed. None of the 4 different models I am running have major issues and definitely less buggy than 10166 and running on my daily driver 1520. That said, with the absence of hotspot, which I use pretty extensively, I'm getting weary of waiting for another build. All I did was slap a cricket sim in an old broken screen Lumia 820 that I had laying around for my hotspot. Consider waiting for the next build, regardless, because it can't be long until it's released.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Really no need to hard reset (factory restore) until the last upgrade to current build. As long as the firmware loads it will provide a fresh factory restore. Not completely sure that the first preview build was 10166, but just keep upgrading, then factory restore at the end. Regarding the post just prior to this, everybody has different experiences with these builds depending on device and whether or not a factory restore is performed. None of the 4 different models I am running have major issues and definitely less buggy than 10166 and running on my daily driver 1520. That said, with the absence of hotspot, which I use pretty extensively, I'm getting weary of waiting for another build. All I did was slap a cricket sim in an old broken screen Lumia 820 that I had laying around for my hotspot. Consider waiting for the next build, regardless, because it can't be long until it's released.

Thanks. I will most likely wait for the next build. Especially if I can just upgrade directly to it using Windows Insider. Sadly though nobody knows when this new build will be released but surely it cannot be long?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital