Windows 10 preview on daily driver phone?

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
So currently I'm getting bored with 8.1 and want to download the insider preview but have only one Lumia. I was wondering if anybody has it installed on their daily drivers without issues? Obviously I'm aware there will be hiccups and bugs but is there any that will render the phone useless? Thanks.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I had it installed. Didn't make it useless except for a few lock UPS. Nothing a reset didn't fix. But had too many issue for me so I reverted. I do like the way ita going, but at this point I may just wait till its finished.

mgerbasio

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I found it to work very well on a Lumia 640 with T-Mobile. It wasn't perfect, mostly problems with Outlook and the Store, but definitely good enough to use daily. Updates are too infrequent.

Currently I switched back to a Nexus 6 as there is no wifi calling and no hot spot. Couldn't hold out for these to be added any longer. Both Android and Win10 work well for me, I just hate the Nexus 6.

Mathew K Jose

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
So currently I'm getting bored with 8.1 and want to download the insider preview but have only one Lumia. I was wondering if anybody has it installed on their daily drivers without issues? Obviously I'm aware there will be hiccups and bugs but is there any that will render the phone useless? Thanks.

I am using build 10166 on my lumia 730.It is my only phone ans so far it is good.I really love the new design,colours,start screen,animation etc.the new action center is good and the videos app(Film &TV) is amazing.It is listing all my videos and u can view in complete fullscreen also.

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've got it as my daily driver and the small bugs will drive you insane.

Like camera roll not syncing automatically to onedrive, I've got to open the onedrive app and leave it for a few minutes and then it only syncs camera roll and not saved or screenshots.

I'm at the annoying stage of wanting to roll back but I bet as soon as I do they'll roll out an update that solves it.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Aside from degraded camera experience when compared to 8.1 in terms of speed and stability, the phone is usable for me.

Note: You will definitely have to do a hard reset. Don't even have to try to say that it is not needed.

pgoth

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
On the latest build - moved from my test phone to my primary
Pretty happy so far - one of the biggest adjustments is the single email client - not sure how much I am loving that.
Some of the other features are very nice - organized settings, overall UI - some of the new universal apps....

ArrowQueen

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I installed it today on my Lumia 925. It works GREAT ! The older builds where unusable but this one (10512) can definitely be used as a daily driver :) But it's not perfect.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Truth be told, If you can make it through the upgrade process (Make sure you do a current backup before installing), it's over all pretty stable. A few bugs here and there and there is some apps in the store that is missing from the 8.1' store. The only hit I have seen is in the battery, it's about 65-75% of what 8.1 was for me. There are a few loading screens here and there but, over all the best build so far.

A perk, if you had older games or apps that were pulled off the market, If you go into your history, you can re-download these games/apps. I am using this chance to get all the achievements on older games that were killed off while I can...

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I used 10166 on a 535 dual sim, as a temporary daily driver during holidays. It was really OK, but every once in a while, it would reboot itself (or force me to reboot), and I had to check if notifications (SMS ones) were ok after each reboot.

I consider that this hit&miss notifications, restarts, etc. are acceptable, as a daily driver, when on holidays, but back home, I'm still using my 1020 with WP8.1. It's not stable enough, or rather, reliable enough, to have me insert my SIM in the 535 running W10M. Not at this stage.

Besides, the 1020 will never see any preview program (insider, preview for developers), etc. : it's my real daily driver and above all, I don't want to mess with my main camera ^_^

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have it on my daily driver, satisfaction rate 7/10.

i would say the main problem are not the bugs, but the need to hard reset every now and then.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I have it installed and did a clean install afterwards. So far it seems pretty good minus a few gripes which aren't important. I noticed a few apps disappeared which is okay for me because I never used them really. Lumia selfie being one, did they discontinue that one? I also did notice the apps that were previously removed from the store is in my history. Not that they do much because they don't work

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been running it on my spare Nokia Icon for months and it seems really solid. Although it is just on Wi-Fi at home.

I have used it a few times in my Nokia 1520 but had to roll back to 8.1 because of a few things I needed to work as my daily device.

There are some cool windows 10 features like the speech to text option always available and the fact that if you set a reminder with Cortana on the windows 10 pc, it also goes into my Windows phone 10.

So I'm here looking to see if a new build has been released since 10166.
I'm game for trying it in the 1520 daily driver again.

The nice thing about windows phone is it only takes 15 minutes to return to Win 8.1 using the recover tool.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I just peeked and my spare Nokia icon is actually on the newer build 10512. Maybe that is why it is so smooth these days.

I carry it around the house and use it a lot and our works fairly flawless.

Time to try that one in my 1520.

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I have been using the preview builds regularly, now on my 640xl. So far, I do not have no 'Major' problems with regards to my usage, that includes frequent messaging, fidgeting between apps for no good reason, gaming and camera (this app could really do with some working upon). I do not know about these rants about the alarms app. I need 5 alarms to wake me up, and they all play successively in intervals of ten minutes each.
What is said about the photos app could be quite true. You still cannot directly jump to a thrid party app to edit while viewing the photo in the photos app, and the 'screenshots' section does not show up to attach photos from in the Line app.
App crashes are now quite less. Lesser than in the previous builds where you could very well have had to kiss your third party apps goodbye if you wanted to use the preview.

Overall, this build is quite stable for Me. I'd give it a 7/10. It is my daily driver.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You can do it OP but be sure you understand that even this latest release, as nice as it is, will have quirks that could cause you to hold your phone under water until the lights go out. I don't know about everyone else but I had to leave my 1520 at home in the drawer to keep from finding out it doesn't bounce on concrete. Only one issue that kills it, random reboots.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So I installed in on the Nokia 1520 again.
This time I got that dreaded glitch where the lock screen doesn't recognize your password!

I tried a soft reset or two and still could not get passed the lock screen.

So I fired up the Windows Recovery Tool and it had an error on the first try (that has happened before).
So the phone reboots when I unplug it and then the lock screen worked.

Since this is an upgrade and not a clean install, I see that I have Lumia Moments app installed. :)Mix Radio is right where I lkeft it too so that is good.

I don't want to do a clean install unless I have to because apps like Lumia Moments are not available in the store nor in my history.

Lumia Selfie is working too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99