Windows 10 preview on daily driver phone?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
But i heard 10512 have some serious issues compared to 10166.Especially problems in log in after a hard reset and so.

Ok two things to answer here, first, i really don't think 10166 is better than 10512. i upgraded, and hard reset, my device occasionally reboots and sometimes it gets warm, but that's it.

second, you are not helping anyone testing/running 10166, as Microsoft already ditched this for 10512, so it is better to give feedback on 10512, so that we can all get a better build after that.

I honestly think that Microsoft feel that they made a slight mistake with offering Rings of test updates, as people are testing obsolete builds all the time, so maybe having a fast ring alone is IMO better than having fast and slow.

Microsoft said lately that they are reconsidering how the insider program works.

Mathew K Jose

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Ok two things to answer here, first, i really don't think 10166 is better than 10512. i upgraded, and hard reset, my device occasionally reboots and sometimes it gets warm, but that's it.

second, you are not helping anyone testing/running 10166, as Microsoft already ditched this for 10512, so it is better to give feedback on 10512, so that we can all get a better build after that.

I honestly think that Microsoft feel that they made a slight mistake with offering Rings of test updates, as people are testing obsolete builds all the time, so maybe having a fast ring alone is IMO better than having fast and slow.

Microsoft said lately that they are reconsidering how the insider program works.

Ok,Thanks for the info.Am gonna try 10512 and see how it is.... :)

Bryan Reed2

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Had it installed for a few days , but found the biggest problem was with sd card not being seen. checked it on PC but even pc not able to fix.
Reverted back to 8.1 and installed new SD card. I am a bit of a woose, and am dubious about trying again. Lumia 640 XL

Bryan Reed2

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
this worked for me. Set up the updates, and then switch to backup. do the backup, and go back to updates, and it may be good. It worked for me.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone got a problem with GPS and Maps?

I can only get the initial location, but after than when I move, the GPS does not track my location. Refreshing the location does not work in Maps, and you can only close the app and start again, or wait 1-2 mins for it to refresh the location itself. Even then the location is not very accurate (varies from 100+ to hundreds of meters off). This has been happening for the past 3 builds and navigation is useless for me.

I'm using a Lumia 1520 running build 10512.

I am pretty much convinced the 1520 has a Windows Phone 10 problem. You can get the OS installed but man, it is one massive exercise in patience. It'll work great for a while then out of the blue, it'll crash. Or if its on the charger within eye shot, you'll watch it finish booting up. Its not the joyride my HTC One M8 Windows Phone is. I can't say MS is spending a lot of time on the 1520 and I'm preparing that I may need to move on.

alexuio

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm on 10166. Is it because I live outside the US? (Ecuador). Does it have to do with the fact that I chose SLOW on windows insider or if I change the region y can get 10512?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Build 10512 is only for the fast ring. Your location doesn't change anything.
If you stay on slow, you'll probably get the next build (said by Gabe Aul), but if you want to get 10512, you'll have to switch to the fast ring.

Yatin Pancha1

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I also have 640xl please give me your suggestion about how build 10512 works on 640xl
because I want to try it but when I see the bug list I fear to install it. it is very time consuming to update the phone revert back to 8.1 that's why.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I also have 640xl please give me your suggestion about how build 10512 works on 640xl
because I want to try it but when I see the bug list I fear to install it. it is very time consuming to update the phone revert back to 8.1 that's why.
Be clear about what this is Yatin. These are technical preview builds and it has be recommended countless times to NOT install this on a device if you cannot afford to do it. That is, if the phone is your daily driver, be aware of the risks.

alexuio

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Have been trying W10 on my 920 as a daily driver and so far I've found some issues but none that could made me go back to w8.1.

- video playback not working
- battery last less but not that big of a deal
- can't use time app photos and status on lock screen
- active screen no longer working but still can tap screen to activate
- some apps exit or reboot
- photos live tile can't let my choose a folder for the pictures to be shown

Other than that I like a lot the new interface, keyboard, options menu, icons and fonts. Outlook app is also better.

I would not recommend upgrading if you use a lot your phone with lots of apps since it does feels slower and lags but if you use it mainly for IM, FB and some gaming like I do it's ok.

mfcengland

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Using build 10166 on my 925 daily driver with zero problems. Everything works perfectly. I did update to 10512 but there were too many bugs, so I rolled back to 8.1 and back up to 10166. I also left the insider program so I wouldn't receive any more updates. I'll now wait for the final release and install that.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Using build 10166 on my 925 daily driver with zero problems. Everything works perfectly. I did update to 10512 but there were too many bugs, so I rolled back to 8.1 and back up to 10166. I also left the insider program so I wouldn't receive any more updates. I'll now wait for the final release and install that.

It does not work perfectly, you just don't use the features that don't. :)

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Installed on a 930 and found only little problems like quiet hours toggle not working in quick actions or that you can't change the search provider in Edge. Other that that it is a pretty solid build. I hard resetted before installing the insider preview and after installing both the updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium