Can my phone bleep every few minutes if I've received an unread text? No it can't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Here is how this little skit would play out in my household....
I have to go and get the car washed and get a hair cut....I leave my fancy dandy Android phone in the house while I am out for a couple of hours....Meanwhile my buddy leaves me a text asking if he can come to my place with some beers and he is sitting at his place waiting for me to reply....my phone is going bonkers at my house due to the text that my buddy sent....meanwhile my spouse who is at home is going berserk with my phone going off its rocker decides that it is better for me to have a WindowsPhone like hers and a cold glass of water is better than a round of beer or two with my buddy and disposes off my little pestilence of a smartphone.....

Anyway that would be the scenario in my case, YMMV.
So basically you are saying that every platform but Windows has a war against women?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So basically you are saying that every platform but Windows has a war against women?

Nope...any phone that annoyed my spouse incessantly would meet the same fate...she just happens to have a Lumia that she really likes ergo the WindowsPhone argument. I have tried to get her to use devices from the other two OS' else but nothing has worked so far....I specifically mentioned this was a case exclusive to me and mentioned YMMV....I guess you chose to gloss over the qualifiers....

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Here is how this little skit would play out in my household....
I have to go and get the car washed and get a hair cut....I leave my fancy dandy Android phone in the house while I am out for a couple of hours....Meanwhile my buddy leaves me a text asking if he can come to my place with some beers and he is sitting at his place waiting for me to reply....my phone is going bonkers at my house due to the text that my buddy sent....meanwhile my spouse who is at home is going berserk with my phone going off its rocker decides that it is better for me to have a WindowsPhone like hers and a cold glass of water is better than a round of beer or two with my buddy and disposes off my little pestilence of a smartphone.....

Anyway that would be the scenario in my case, YMMV.

LOL, I like her already

LoganSmith5

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
iOS - I am surprised you didn't mention the little fruit stand from Cupertino? That too doesn't have this feature.

Yes it does. Let me tell you how to use iOS.
Go Settings - Notifications - Messages - Repeat Alerts

There you can set how many times it repeats every 2 minutes, up to 10 times.

I wish we had this option, I liked it when I used an iPhone.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
OP:
Android actually does not have this feature, but since there are a 1.6 million apps in the Play store, you can download one app and ensure that your needs are met.

The key point is that Android's API provides support for the feature, which is all that's needed. I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be baked into the OS. Indeed, I was expecting to have to program it myself. However, the API in Windows Mobile provides no such support, so I can't even write an app to do it.

That is what I find strange: not that it isn't built into the OS, but that it isn't built into the APIs.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes it does. Let me tell you how to use iOS.

Go Settings - Notifications - Messages - Repeat Alerts

There you can set how many times it repeats every 2 minutes, up to 10 times.

I wish we had this option, I liked it when I used an iPhone.

Every 2 minutes x10 = 20 minutes about 100 minutes fewer than OP requirements...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The key point is that Android's API provides support for the feature, which is all that's needed. I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be baked into the OS. Indeed, I was expecting to have to program it myself. However, the API in Windows Mobile provides no such support, so I can't even write an app to do it.

That is what I find strange: not that it isn't built into the OS, but that it isn't built into the APIs.

User Voice is your friend.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Ehh, I suppose someone could make an app that makes a sound repeat at set intervals. Odds are good that a message will have been received during the interval between sounds, So there you go - an app that plays a repeating sound when a notification is active.

As for myself, I'm not away from my phone that much. When I am, I just wake it and deal.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yep, almost as good. You still have to remember to look at the phone every few minutes, although the flash might well draw your attention. I find it completely bizarre that Windows phones don't have an LED for that very purpose. Needless to say, all other smartphones do, and many (admittedly not all) dumbphones, too.
I have a Moto X, and it does not have an LED. I also don't use any of those repeating whistle sounds on my Moto X.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile supports third party apps to access text messages. You can see it in the Settings->Privacy->Messaging. Are we absolutely sure that, given that MS has given access to third party apps to send/read SMS, they won't be given permission to repeatedly alert users of unread messages?

Oh Ya1

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but what's unimportant to you may be very important to others. I think this would be a great feature for enterprise (and enterprising customers! :))

estidi

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Does this feature exists in WP 8.1? I remember when I got my Lumia first set up, an unopened SMS will ring every several minutes until I open it. I didn't remember what I did to disable it though.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Does this feature exists in WP 8.1? I remember when I got my Lumia first set up, an unopened SMS will ring every several minutes until I open it. I didn't remember what I did to disable it though.

Really? If so, that would be fantastic and exactly what I've been looking for. HOWEVER, I'm almost certain your memory is of something else - all of the expert advice I've had from the programming community confirms that this simply cannot be done on WP7, 8 or 10.

If you can prove them wrong, that would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo