Can my phone bleep every few minutes if I've received an unread text? No it can't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Me thinks a lot of topics have this same problem. :wink:

Its a feature no body wants yet its getting tonnes of feedback, the LED suggestion is the only good I have found in the post. Continuously beeping phones seriously like. Ha ha but u are right though :)

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile supports third party apps to access text messages. You can see it in the Settings->Privacy->Messaging. Are we absolutely sure that, given that MS has given access to third party apps to send/read SMS, they won't be given permission to repeatedly alert users of unread messages?

That is very interesting! I hadn't found that setting. As you say, this definitely suggests that apps can access the SMS messages, quite the opposite of what I was told on the developer forums.

This gets more and more curious. Thank you, bsbharath1987, this gives me some ammunition to go back to the developers with.

Edit: Apparently a developer CAN access the necessary APIs, but they need to be granted some kind of special status by Microsoft. And then what happens is that when the app tries to access the SMS messages API, the phone contacts Microsoft and gets permission to either proceed or cause a runtime failure.

So now the challenge is how to get this special status.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Its a feature no body wants yet its getting tonnes of feedback, the LED suggestion is the only good I have found in the post. Continuously beeping phones seriously like. Ha ha but u are right though :)

Well, no matter what you think about it, every dumbphone I've ever owned provided it. So it can't be that weird, can it?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, no matter what you think about it, every dumbphone I've ever owned provided it. So it can't be that weird, can it?

Ok yes all the last generation phones had the feature and some android and apple devices has it but like if thats what you look for in a phone research first like I did when I was considering buying the 640XL I put it out to the fellow Windows central community and they were really helpful. I was moving between windows phones so I knew the OS but what I really valued were their hardware reviews, battery, camera and overall performance.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The LED notification may come in with the new hardware. We already see it in the Windows 10 mobile settings, so we may see that implemented in a useful way.

The ability to annoy your friends/family/co-workers with repeated notification sounds when you leave your phone behind is another matter. If there's significant numbers of people asking for that feature, then it might happen.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The LED notification may come in with the new hardware. We already see it in the Windows 10 mobile settings, so we may see that implemented in a useful way.

The ability to annoy your friends/family/co-workers with repeated notification sounds when you leave your phone behind is another matter. If there's significant numbers of people asking for that feature, then it might happen.

Judging on the views here it doesn't seem like its gaining ground, the LED is the only suggestion getting some traction though so I suppose without the OP putting his question out there we wouldn't of gotten to the LED suggestion.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Notification LEDs have been covered for a long time here, but we don't know when they'll come to light (excuse the pun).

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
.......if thats what you look for in a phone research first like I did......

You are quite right! I foolishly assumed WP8 would support such a basic feature, so I went ahead a bought the phone. I was surprised and disappointed when I found out the feature didn't exist. All my previous phones (dumbphones and Android phones) provided it so it never crossed my mind it was something that needed research.

I just assumed that W10M would have the feature added in as part of Microsoft's ongoing improvement program, but again I was wrong to assume that.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
You are quite right! I foolishly assumed WP8 would support such a basic feature, so I went ahead a bought the phone. I was surprised and disappointed when I found out the feature didn't exist. All my previous phones (dumbphones and Android phones) provided it so it never crossed my mind it was something that needed research.

I just assumed that W10M would have the feature added in as part of Microsoft's ongoing improvement program, but again I was wrong to assume that.

So its not the phones fault or the OS fault that you got the wrong phone for you. When your handing over money be it large or small amounts u have to do your research, if your getting good value for money.

**Just to add I am sorry your windows phone experience has been a bad one though can you get refund?**

MarkAllett

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I've long since said that complicated devices such as this should support a quite simple scripting language, perhaps with a little visual designer. This would alleviate the problem of us wanting features and scenarios that the designer hasn't thought of. Every behaviour shouldn't need to be coded-in directly and switched on/off with a toggle. Most things that happen on the phone should generate events and other things should be able to react to those events and do something else. If you want your phone to send a text to someone whenever someone else texts you, script it in. If you want to play a sound every time you switch the screen on, script it in. If you want your phone to text the wife to say you're setting off home whenever it pairs with your car bluetooth, script it in. *So* many features could be supported, with the addition of a simple scripting language.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This thread is getting dangerously close to being closed. I'm still seeing some good suggestions coming in so we'll keep it going. Stay on topic, refrain from personal jabs and most of all, EVERYBODY'S opinion counts.

Fabiothepianist

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I am 100% with Steve Thackery, people have different needs in their lives, and for those who don't "share the bed with their phone", this feature is absolutely needed and urgent. It is always deactivateable and may be set for whatever sound or vibration. Look at the old symbian's "Remind me".

I don't get the hostility to understand how useful it would be, for example when you're at home just like someone already said...
It would simply save you in those times you wanna be saved, so it's silly to say that something so shallow for the very same microsoft to implement, is useless.

Microsoft I'm still waiting for this feature, just like another percentage of future windows phone's customers.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok yes all the last generation phones had the feature and some android and apple devices has it but like if thats what you look for in a phone research first like I did when I was considering buying the 640XL I put it out to the fellow Windows central community and they were really helpful.
Good point. Its like when cars were invented and a lot of people were upset they could no longer use bio-fuel (hay) to power their means of transportation.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Good point. Its like when cars were invented and a lot of people were upset they could no longer use bio-fuel (hay) to power their means of transportation.

Unfortunately for those poor souls they didn't have internet to google their difficulty. Just imagine it like having the car and horse parked beside one another and they putting the hay in the gas tank lol (I know they weren't that dumb but its a funny concept). They had Marconi it was and still known today as Victorian internet lol. God bless the internal combustion engine though! :)

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
So its not the phones fault or the OS fault that you got the wrong phone for you.

Well, I wasn't trying to say anyone was at "fault". To me this whole thread is about why Microsoft have taken a different position from all the other phone OS makers on repeating notifications, and in it I argue for why they are valuable. Not for everyone, but certainly for me and clearly for others.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
To me this whole thread is about why Microsoft have taken a different position from all the other phone OS makers on repeating notifications, and in it I argue for why they are valuable. Not for everyone, but certainly for me and clearly for others.
No product can have everything any customer might want. The primary reason is that no company has unlimited resources. That means ANYTHING, no matter how easy to do, means something else that some customer might want doesn't happen. MS decided there were other things more important at least for now. Since its a low demand and since an app could do this for customers who want it, MS might be smart to leave it to an app developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs