Can my phone bleep every few minutes if I've received an unread text? No it can't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I wish that I could have repeated notifications for calls or sms that I miss. It's really annoying how so many people on these forums have put the OP down for wanting the feature or how they say it isn't needed. If other phones have the feature, and if owners of WP's want the feature, it is needed. I don't want to hear anymore from people that don't think it is a needed feature.

Aswin Rajan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
hey - while repeatable alerts is always good to have.. Everyone uses their devices differently..
i for one havent missed this feature, because i have my lock screen + my start screen tile tell me how many pending alerts i have on my whatsapp / sms / calls etc..
and whats interesting is on my latest W10 build, forget about repeatable notifications i dont even get to know when i get a sms / whatsapp message! so this is all i have to live by :) (PS: i've suppressed banners, but that shouldnt ideally supress alert sounds - just a bug in the last few builds)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, I wasn't trying to say anyone was at "fault". To me this whole thread is about why Microsoft have taken a different position from all the other phone OS makers on repeating notifications, and in it I argue for why they are valuable. Not for everyone, but certainly for me and clearly for others.

I mean if you want a phone for banking you make sure the phone has banking app support if not get something else, same goes if you want a phone with continuous msg tone then you research, if you cant find it pop up a topic and let other people help you NOT get the phone and come on here and start bashing it because you made the wrong choice!!

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I mean if you want a phone for banking you make sure the phone has banking app support if not get something else, same goes if you want a phone with continuous msg tone then you research, if you cant find it pop up a topic and let other people help you NOT get the phone and come on here and start bashing it because you made the wrong choice!!
When you've had the feature on many other phones in the past, you might not even know that the feature would be missing. Why would you even think to ask about it when basically every other phone over the past decade had the ability? I don't see the OP bashing the OS, but he his making it known that the feature is missing and is looking for ways around it. There is nothing wrong with that.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
When you've had the feature on many other phones in the past, you might not even know that the feature would be missing. Why would you even think to ask about it when basically every other phone over the past decade had the ability? I don't see the OP bashing the OS, but he his making it known that the feature is missing and is looking for ways around it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Clearly that feature is one that the OP would of been of importance so he should of researched it better! Yeah its not a popular one but its important to him so he should of made sure the phone had it!

gwh34t

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'll be honest, I did read all of the post... but from the first few, I couldn't help but post this:

On a side note, I have a Lumia 920 with wireless charging (which you can get for your 1520). My phone stays on the charging pad on my desk with Glance on, so if I get up and come back, I just have to 'glance' at my phone to see if I have a missed call or text...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd imagine that the Zedge app (for Windows Phone and for Android) would have that Samsung whistle ringtone. I found a Nextel chirp ringtone on Zedge. :cool:

Good Lord woman, you just gave me some horrible flashbacks with that homicide-inducing Nextel chirp. Heading to the Post Office now, talk to you later.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
i agree that the repeat bleep or the flashing light is not for everyone but with the tech now vs then (WP vs WM6/WM6.5) this should be an easy feature to build in with the option to turn it on or off.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
i agree that the repeat bleep or the flashing light is not for everyone but with the tech now vs then (WP vs WM6/WM6.5) this should be an easy feature to build in with the option to turn it on or off.

Is it really easy? I'm probably not the right person to chime in on this but I'm guessing that Microsoft's decision to remove the capacitive buttons and put them onscreen is for an easy path to have other OEMs build Windows Phones. A power switch and volume control is all the hardware mapping required to be tailored for a specific device (not counting speakers, cameras, etc.) . Not even all Lumias have dedicated camera buttons as was originally mandated on WP7. The Windows user experience is supposed to be the same regardless of which handset you're using so Microsoft would have to make this a mandate too. Maybe the cost on a per-phone basis is simply not cost-efficient enough to justify on a budget device, which Microsoft sells so many of (percentage-wise).

Nobody's denying it's a good feature to have. But there are some legitimate reasons for not having it and we simply don't have access to Microsoft's War Room to know the why's and wherefores.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Clearly that feature is one that the OP would of been of importance so he should of researched it better! Yeah its not a popular one but its important to him so he should of made sure the phone had it!

"Should have", not "of".

And like I said earlier, it seemed so obvious a phone should have it (remember, every one of its competitors has an equivalent function, as do all its predecessors), that it just never occurred to me to check. For instance, did you research that your phone would do MMS, or did you just take it for granted? Did you research that your phone would use Wi-Fi whenever its available rather than mobile data, or did you just take it for granted?

Anyway, I won't go on any further - it looks like you think I'm a fool for not thinking it necessary to research it; and I thought it was such an obvious feature it didn't need researching. Clearly we will never agree! :grin:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
"Should have", not "of".

And like I said earlier, it seemed so obvious a phone should have it (remember, every one of its competitors has an equivalent function, as do all its predecessors), that it just never occurred to me to check. For instance, did you research that your phone would do MMS, or did you just take it for granted? Did you research that your phone would use Wi-Fi whenever its available rather than mobile data, or did you just take it for granted?

Anyway, I won't go on any further - it looks like you think I'm a fool for not thinking it necessary to research it; and I thought it was such an obvious feature it didn't need researching. Clearly we will never agree! :grin:

First of all do not even try and take a pop at my spelling or grammar, this isn't a forum for English writing professors there are plenty of people on this forum who need to go back to English writing classes, so don't be trying to be a smart person because you have nothing further to add to my point you have a go at my sentence structure omg!!!

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Is it really easy?.......... The Windows user experience is supposed to be the same regardless of which handset you're using so Microsoft would have to make this a mandate too.

Nobody's denying it's a good feature to have. But there are some legitimate reasons for not having it and we simply don't have access to Microsoft's War Room to know the why's and wherefores.

In fact there would be no hardware-related cost, because all you need for a bleep is the loudspeaker, which is already in there. The rest is just software.

Obviously there are costs in developing software features, but they are one-off costs, not recurring ones. I expect Microsoft didn't bother to add optional repeating audible notifications because they regarded the feature to be of such low importance it got pushed to the back of the queue. The main purpose of this thread is to try to raise the perceived importance of that feature. (I've also done so via the Feedback app.) The secondary purpose is to try to find alternative solutions.

It's interesting that the Windows Phone standard doesn't require an LED to be fitted, which of course is another way Android phones can alert you to a notification. Obviously this would have an ongoing hardware cost to all the manufacturers, although to be honest it would be very minimal, especially as they fit LEDs to all the Android phones they make.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
In fact there would be no hardware-related cost, because all you need for a bleep is the loudspeaker, which is already in there. The rest is just software.

Obviously there are costs in developing software features, but they are one-off costs, not recurring ones. I expect Microsoft didn't bother to add optional repeating audible notifications because they regarded the feature to be of such low importance it got pushed to the back of the queue. The sole purpose of this thread is to try to raise that profile.

It's interesting that the Windows Phone standard doesn't require an LED to be fitted, which of course is another way Android phones can alert you to a notification. Obviously this would have an ongoing hardware cost to all the manufacturers, although to be honest it would be very minimal, especially as they fit LEDs to all the Android phones they make.

Obviously you don't have a single clue about coding! Its not as simple as copying and pasting a "bleep" into the phones code structure, you have to write up a very specific code to enable or disable this feature and you have to test it rigorously! When you have basic knowledge of coding then come back and say the same thing.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Obviously you don't have a single clue about coding! Its not as simple as copying and pasting a "bleep" into the phones code structure, you have to write up a very specific code to enable or disable this feature and you have to test it rigorously! When you have basic knowledge of coding then come back and say the same thing.
Why don't you stop pretending to be smarter than the OP and putting him down. This is simple, if you don't want the feature, then move on and if it comes to the platform you can ignore it. While the rest of us that want the feature continue discussing it, voting for it, and looking for ways to get it.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

I've been developing software for computers since before Windows was invented. My first programs were in assembly language for the 8080, the 6502 and the 6809. I won't list the languages I'm familiar with, because you'd get bored, but currently I write Windows applications using Delphi (for my older Win32 apps), and either C# or Oxygene (by RemObjects) for my new projects. I also develop for PIC and ARM microcontrollers (C for the PIC, and the C-like language used by Arduino). I also spent several years doing software testing.

Where did I say it was a matter of "copying and pasting a 'bleep' into the phones code structure"? I didn't!! Those are your words, not mine. You are arguing with yourself, not with me!

Of course the "very specific code" would have to be written, and it would have to be tested. You see? We both agree. There will be a cost associated with it (both money and time), of course, but as I said, it's a one-off cost, not a recurring one like an additional hardware component would be.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Why don't you stop pretending to be smarter than the OP and putting him down. This is simple, if you don't want the feature, then move on and if it comes to the platform you can ignore it. While the rest of us that want the feature continue discussing it, voting for it, and looking for ways to get it.

I'm not putting him down im just emphasising the point that its not that easy to add a feature. I'm not smarter then the OP and I don't claim to be, set up a petition on change.org and put it to the rest of users wanting that feature in up and coming windows phones if your that strong about it I would sign the petition for the OP as id show him support. Once you have the desired number if signatures get in touch with Microsoft and see what happens.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
First of all do not even try and take a pop at my spelling or grammar, this isn't a forum for English writing professors there are plenty of people on this forum who need to go back to English writing classes, so don't be trying to be a smart person because you have nothing further to add to my point you have a go at my sentence structure omg!!!

Woops - bit of a sore point, there, eh? Stay cool - it was a light-hearted comment, a little joke. I did it because I felt you were lecturing me (how many times have you told me off for not researching it properly?), so I thought I'd lecture you back. Just a bit of fun, for goodness' sake.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I've been developing software for computers since before Windows was invented. My first programs were in assembly language for the 8080, the 6502 and the 6809. I won't list the languages I'm familiar with, because you'd get bored, but currently I write Windows applications using Delphi (for my older Win32 apps), and either C# or Oxygene (by RemObjects) for my new projects. I also develop for PIC and ARM microcontrollers (C for the PIC, and the C-like language used by Arduino). I also spent several years doing software testing.

Where did I say it was a matter of "copying and pasting a 'bleep' into the phones code structure? I didn't!! Those are your words, not mine. You are arguing with yourself, not with me!

Of course the "very specific code" would have to be written, and it would have to be tested. You see? We both agree. There will be a cost associated with it (both money and time), of course, but as I said, it's a one-off cost, not a recurring one like an additional hardware component would be.

No I said about the copying and pasting f the bleep in relation to people just saying it would be easy to put in the feature and as we both agree it wouldn't, I wasn't saying you in specific. Just saying its not easy that's all. Yes there would be extra costs to this and because Windows phone is a relatively new company they may not be able to add for the costs associated with this. Maybe they have put it out in a poll already and scrapped it? Like an insider poll ir a poll by invite only I don't know why they have omitted the feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99