Any news about new build release for us insiders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like there's going to be a build tomorrow.

Gabe just asked people to vote for tomorrow or Tuesday. I can't see many people opting to wait.

There's an issue with this build that store purchases cause the store to crash 28.8% of the time.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I know this might come across as a rub in the nose of some, but I really don't mean it that way.
I'm late to the preview world. I only loaded my first preview a couple of weeks ago. The current build on a Lumia 1520.
I was so concerned with the possible trouble it might cause, that I went to Walmart and grabbed a 640 so I would have a 8.1 "daily driver".

I rarely have touched the 640. Mostly just to compare 8.1 to 10.
My 1520 has been absolutely fantastic to use with this preview.
Solid too. No locking or freezing or crashing. At least nothing to even require a soft reset.

Don't get me wrong, I see and experience many of the "bugs" of the preview, but nothing that causes me to use the 640 instead. I admit to only using the phone the same exact way I used it on 8.1.....
I take pictures often. They upload to OneDrive properly. (although there is a noticeable delay)
I open my corporate Exchange email continuously. I rather like the look and feel of it.
I LOVE the new Office Apps that let me print to discovered printers on the network. Absolutely awesome feature. And the formatting the app does on Excel is very very nice for printing.
Yea, I play a bit in FaceBook. No more or less than I did on 8.1
I also LOVE how Edge renders the Gmail account. At first I was disappointed I couldn't configure the native email app for Gmail, but holy cow that Gmail is gorgeous and fast and elegant in Edge. I think I actually prefer it that way.

I'll stop listing what I am finding awesome.....I have made my point.

So I'm really just curious, what is the reason one L1520 would behave well, relatively, and another L1520 puke on it?
I don't have any reason to doubt that all I read here amongst the various previewers is accurate and true. It just seems strange that in the world of 1's and 0's that the identical outcomes are so UN-identical.

Still, I'm ready for the next build. I too am looking forward to non longer needing the backup-640 for hotspot! :)

Hmoll1

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I hafta agree with snakebitten. I did the same thing myself: I bought an 830 on eBay to play with WM10... impatient, I installed it on my Lumia 930 before the 830 could arrive. Never even bothered with the 830 and sold it on eBay before the wife even knew it was in the house! I'm lovin' W10.

I can see both sides of the Release or Not. While I'm really (really really) wanting to use the Hotspot and Quiet Hours again (and for a quick to update lock screen), I can wait a little bit for the Store to be fixed.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that there's much in the way of new things to play with, mainly bugs and performance. It would be nice but to be annoyed by the zoom in the map app. I'm happy enough to wait and let the guys sort things out.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not happy with what happened today, and to be honest I think it wouldn't be a big problem to 'ship' the buggy build.
First because - hey it's a preview, nobody cares if you have to reflash your phone or whatever.
Second - this alerady happened, didn't it? Or was it just something I made up. o_O
And I really don't think they need a whole month just to fix a few bugs.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The bug discovered is a big one and I am sure most insiders will be upset that they weren't informed about it if they have pushed it.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that if I was actually sitting in a room with guys that decide on these things, I would witness the following:

These guys are the actual folks that know EVERYTHING there is to know
These guys are well aware that WE are chomping on the bit for the next build
These guys absolutely want nothing more than to please us to the best of their abilities.
These guys wish they could do just that TODAY

But alas, knowing what they know, they think the RIGHT thing to do is to keep working on it before releasing it to us.
Honestly, I gotta believe they are smart enough to make this decision. :)

Or put another way............
I sit across the desk from our corporate software programmer. He is freaking crazy smart and good at what he does.
(He currently is writing W10 universal code to extend our corporate (legacy) software to W10 mobile devices)
I bet that room in Redmond is FULL of guys even better than him.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure that there's much in the way of new things to play with, mainly bugs and performance. It would be nice but to be annoyed by the zoom in the map app. I'm happy enough to wait and let the guys sort things out.

I wasn't concerned about new things etc to play with. But, the current build has degraded a fair amount on my 830, so it's a new build soon or back to 8.1. I can survive a few more days. ;)

And, yes, the bug was a big one and would have screwed everybody if they had released it.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Using 8.1, and enabling the Developer Preview and then the Windows Insider, and the Settings/Phone Update says there's an update available, how can I tell whether it's the latest and upcoming greatest, or just the previous 10512 which I had to bail out on last month?

I don't want to find out after the fact that the update available is not the one I'm looking for, and there seems to be no information provided upfront on the available version.

My current version, by the way, is 8.10.14219.341. (L1520 - AT&T)

Last edited:

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
8.1 now directly updates to 10536 when you're on the fast ring. Did it myself this morning.

Yep same here so much nicer then having to go through each build, how I build working on your device on Lumia 1020 its really awesome best build I have used so far, really only issue was access point and I just set my own apn and It worked like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05