Reverse Tether option on Windows 10 Mobile

wmgeek

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I am just wondering Why Microsoft is not bringing reverse tether feature to its Windows 10 Mobiles? Most of HTC Android phone have this feature to share the PC's Internet on their HTC phones using USB.

wmgeek

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
hey Vipme, I think you didn't get my point. I'm not asking for WIFI hotspot, My post is about Reverse Tether means Sharing your PC's Internet on your phone using USB. USB tethering is not only the fastest method, it's the most reliable and results in zero battery drain.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
What does wp even support usb tethering?

I think even w10 mobile doesn't support it. First lets talk about usb tethering and then go to usb reverse tethering.

vipme

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
My post is about Reverse Tether means Sharing your PC's Internet on your phone using USB

I'm referring you to the best possible solution. I'm not Microsoft staff or Dev. so idk. what their take on reverse tethering is.
But as far as I know, that option is not even well supported on Anroid, you need to have root access, and tools, and what not to be able to pull it off.

dsvictor

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone is very much lack of the needed features. Like USB tether, USB OTG, background downloading, etc. etc. I thought Microsoft will consider and add these features. But some days back, somewhere I read that windows 10 mobile is feature complete. Now I am changing my mind. People will think that I am windows hater. Yes I used android phone before, and from the last one and a half year I am using Lumia 1520. I love it. Is these the features we get after spending around ₹49000 that doesn't even support background downloading. Even Symbian mobile support that. I got only a mobile with a descent camera. I doubt, am I really using a smartphone? Is these the definition of smartphone in the dictionary of Microsoft?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
hey Vipme, I think you didn't get my point. I'm not asking for WIFI hotspot, My post is about Reverse Tether means Sharing your PC's Internet on your phone using USB. USB tethering is not only the fastest method, it's the most reliable and results in zero battery drain.

No, USB Tether is not the fastest method. Not unless you have a very antiquated Wi-Fi adapter on your laptop. Wi-Fi tethering will get you easily up to 150MB/s. I'm getting 300MB/s max on mine right now. The USB ports are USB 2.0. That's 480Mb/s. That equals 60MB/s max. Wi-Fi is faster, and more convenient. If you need charging, guess what? You can plug it into the USB port of your computer, and STILL use the Wi-Fi tethering. I do it all the time. Keeps the phone charged if I need it, plus I can not only access Internet, but transfer files if I feel like it.

There is really no excuse in using tethered USB if you set up a proper, secure Wi-Fi tethering solution. Using a LAN cable is faster, but phones don't support that. USB? Ah... no. It's a legacy holdover from the past. Cutting the cords are the way of the future. Just like using a CRT Monitor is a thing of the past, using USB 2.0 as a tether will also be a thing of the past.

USB OTG, well, that's coming with the new hardware that Microsoft will put out with Windows 10 for Mobile. You'll have to get a new phone, but you'll get so much more functionality over the poorly implemented way that Android and iOS does it, you'll not understand why they didn't do it right the first time. Theirs isn't true OTG according to the standards. It's just a mish-mash. That's why Microsoft is distinguishing the difference by calling it "dual role USB" for the future of Windows 10 for mobile. Dual role meaning, of course, acting as a master and a slave to handle all the functionality the way a PC does.

Oh, and Microsoft never said it was "feature complete." They said it was "mostly feature complete" and the features that will make it haven't all been added yet. They've just finished the features they want in their "design process" but the features being planned that are in the "final plan" haven't all made it yet. I know of several promised that still aren't there, but will be. So stop judging a pre-release as if it is a final product. Thank you.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Why isn't Microsoft adding support for my cassette tapes?

That's a good question. I had to write my own driver for my 9mm Reel-to-Reel magnetic tape system. Why is Microsoft making this so hard? They've even discontinued support for Floppies! Thank goodness they still support my punched card reader. Oh, wait, that's out, too.

David Wiglesworth

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
No, USB Tether is not the fastest method. Not unless you have a very antiquated Wi-Fi adapter on your laptop. Wi-Fi tethering will get you easily up to 150MB/s. I'm getting 300MB/s max on mine right now. The USB ports are USB 2.0. That's 480Mb/s. That equals 60MB/s max. Wi-Fi is faster, and more convenient. If you need charging, guess what? You can plug it into the USB port of your computer, and STILL use the Wi-Fi tethering. I do it all the time. Keeps the phone charged if I need it, plus I can not only access Internet, but transfer files if I feel like it.

There is really no excuse in using tethered USB if you set up a proper, secure Wi-Fi tethering solution. Using a LAN cable is faster, but phones don't support that. USB? Ah... no. It's a legacy holdover from the past. Cutting the cords are the way of the future. Just like using a CRT Monitor is a thing of the past, using USB 2.0 as a tether will also be a thing of the past.

USB OTG, well, that's coming with the new hardware that Microsoft will put out with Windows 10 for Mobile. You'll have to get a new phone, but you'll get so much more functionality over the poorly implemented way that Android and iOS does it, you'll not understand why they didn't do it right the first time. Theirs isn't true OTG according to the standards. It's just a mish-mash. That's why Microsoft is distinguishing the difference by calling it "dual role USB" for the future of Windows 10 for mobile. Dual role meaning, of course, acting as a master and a slave to handle all the functionality the way a PC does.

Oh, and Microsoft never said it was "feature complete." They said it was "mostly feature complete" and the features that will make it haven't all been added yet. They've just finished the features they want in their "design process" but the features being planned that are in the "final plan" haven't all made it yet. I know of several promised that still aren't there, but will be. So stop judging a pre-release as if it is a final product. Thank you.

#1 who still uses 2.0?
#2 the number one reason to use usb instead of WiFi is security.
#3 As was stated with USB you can charge while sharing. You can also file swap or move without touching the internet bandwidth.

It really is siily that any smartphone OS doesn't have this today.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
#1 who still uses 2.0?
#2 the number one reason to use usb instead of WiFi is security.
#3 As was stated with USB you can charge while sharing. You can also file swap or move without touching the internet bandwidth.

It really is siily that any smartphone OS doesn't have this today.
#1 Since we were talking about, at the time, current mobile phones on the market, well, guess what: at the time of that writing they all used USB 2.0 for the micro-USB connector. Doesn't matter if you hook it up to a USB 3 port on your laptop, it will only use 2.0 speeds.

#2 Like I said, if you set up the Wi-Fi security properly there should not be an issue there. If people are going to break your security, it is likely to be done via a Dummy Cellular Tower that tricks your phone into thinking it's legit. Sure, it forwards your info back and forth to a real tower after looking at the data first. Lots of those are in use by both governments spying on people and also by nefarious individuals or groups.

#3 I often plug my phone into my laptop for charging and file sharing while I'm using my phone as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. What's the issue?

The original question had to do with reverse tether, though. Using the USB to share the PC's connection with the phone. Currently, there is a new best solution for that. The new Windows 10 Mobile phones being introduced are going to be compatible with a USB 3.1 LAN adapter starting with the Anniversary Update. At that point, you won't need to tether to the PC to get away from Wi-Fi if you want a wired connection.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Currently, there is a new best solution for that. The new Windows 10 Mobile phones being introduced are going to be compatible with a USB 3.1 LAN adapter starting with the Anniversary Update. At that point, you won't need to tether to the PC to get away from Wi-Fi if you want a wired connection.

that's an interesting development - any source or link for this? I would like to read the details

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
that's an interesting development - any source or link for this? I would like to read the details

There has been a recent review for a USB-C dock here on Windows Central, and it came with Ethernet port, and it was stated in the review that the Anniversary Update (Redstone 1) already supports it, it works great, and you get much better speeds. This is only for Continuum devices, however.

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Are you sure about these numbers? 300MB/s isn't that 2400Mb/s. I don't think your router/PC or phone has those kind of speeds.

Sent from mTalk

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure about these numbers? 300MB/s isn't that 2400Mb/s. I don't think your router/PC or phone has those kind of speeds.

Sent from mTalk
Sorry, typo. The Wi-Fi speeds should have been written as 300Mb/s and 150Mb/s.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss