Will win10 mobile work well on a lumia 920 as a daily driver?

Nikolakius

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The old thread on lumia 920 and win10 mobile hasn't followed the more recent updates of the os. Is it possible to use lumia 920 as a daily driver with the most current version of the OS, without need to go back to 8.1?

PBLNS

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Not really, I've tried twice now and in both ocasions I endeed up going back.
Am actually a little scared of how it will behave when its RTM

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
For a secondary phone it is ok to play with it and see what the current status is.
But for a primary phone I agree to what the others said: keep waiting and stay away from the halfbaked rubbish atm.
Imagine you're really in need of the phone like when trying to place an emergency call and you being greeted with and ongoing "loading..." screen.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Not really, I've tried twice now and in both ocasions I endeed up going back.
Am actually a little scared of how it will behave when its RTM

I agree.

I use my L920 just for listening to podcasts on the drive to/from work. For that, it has been fine. I have not loaded many apps and not personalized the start or made many changes, and on occasion it still gets flaky with the "Resuming..." and (less often) "Loading...".

I hope I am wrong, but I also worry if it ever will be usable on W10M as a daily driver.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been using WP10 on my 920 as my only phone for the past few days and, while I would not recommend it to everyone, I have found it to be stable enough for my daily driver. And, keep in mind that I am in outside sales which means that I live by my phone. One of the biggest benefits of WP10 is the new mail app which allows me to attach any document that I have in my OneDrive to an EXISTING email chain! This alone makes it worth dealing with the occasional "loading..." screen - which for me have been infrequent and usually don't last for more than a few seconds. I have been more than pleased with WP10 on my 920.

Penguin apple

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Works pretty good on my Lumia 920 (CV, one of those carrier-free versions).
To get optimal performance you should put in a SIM card. I found that it gets a little bit slower if you do not. Maybe the Windows 10 Mobile code tries to access the SIM card and eventually a timeout occurs? Not sure.

I barely have any apps installed at all. It has gone through a hard reset, too, so I have no major issues with loading screens. Sometimes I see a loading message, mostly in the SMS/Messaging app. Outlook and Store are sometimes really quick to load and sometimes slow. I can only speculate as to why it behaves like that. Probably a telemetry being made, where the data transfer between the phone and Microsoft servers either is slow or fast.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've been using WP10 on my 920 as my only phone for the past few days and, while I would not recommend it to everyone, I have found it to be stable enough for my daily driver. And, keep in mind that I am in outside sales which means that I live by my phone. One of the biggest benefits of WP10 is the new mail app which allows me to attach any document that I have in my OneDrive to an EXISTING email chain! This alone makes it worth dealing with the occasional "loading..." screen - which for me have been infrequent and usually don't last for more than a few seconds. I have been more than pleased with WP10 on my 920.

Fast or slow ring?

jonwright

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I made the jump with my AT&T 920 a few days ago. I'm on the fast ring running 10512.1000. It has been a bit maddening at times, but for the most part it is working. The challenges have been a combination of systemic issues (like the interminable "Loading..." messages) and trying to figure out how stuff works in W10. I had to do a reset so that created a bunch more work to put it back together but for now I'm sticking with it as my one and only phone.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the latest build as well, and besides the loading and resuming screens on the start screen, which will hopefully get fixed in the next update. So I'd say wait for the next update, and get on board then.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying 512 again on my 920. Much better this time around, maybe due to selecting the fresh hard reset instead of the restore. The loading start screen is the only event in recent history to get me agitated. 5 minutes, still loading. It still happens this time around but not as severe.
My main issues: 1) Unable to select offline only music in Groove. Mix Radio is my workaround, as it only shows offline music when selecting MyMusic. 2) Camera app shows green screen 75% of the time I try to use it, and when it seems to work photos aren't being saved. 3) Not a fan of mail accounts in one tile. I haven't played with adding multiple tiles like in 8.1 to see if new mail counts will appear separately but am hopeful I'm too green and that the release version is improved and more efficient, just not seeing it yet. 4) Glance was showing in extra settings, it's now gone, but was there initially after the hard reset. Glance screen is appearing when I charge the phone or wave the prox sensor, but it is white text only, no night mode or notifications I previously set. 5) Apps, mostly Microsoft ones that can't uninstalled randomly disappear from Start screen (tiles), are listed in All Apps but their icon is not shown aside from background color square once corrupted. A soft reset sometime resolves the issue, other times the icon reappears much later on it's own in Apps but won't allow a tile to be pinned as one may be in a blank spot on Start screen, although it can't be seen. If it is seen it may be unresponsive. Can unpin, cannot uninstall, cannot force update, rinse, repeat. 6) Maps, I do not like it. HERE Drive looks much nicer, still works and does not have the bugs Maps has. It won't open most of th time when asking Cortana for directions while driving or when pressing any Directions link. Maps tries to open but fails. The OS build givs me no option t open directions links using a different GPS Nav app such as my savior HERE Drive. Locations in Calendar, same as above. Not a great experience to have to enter locations manually in different apps. Less fun when Maps stops working while driving and hands free options simply try to reopen maps to no avail. 7) I strongly do not advise using the current build for a work and family dependent, reliable phone. I look forward to many improvements in future and final builds. 8) Lara Croft Go worked flawlessly to the end on the 920 running W10M! 9) Thought I was done at 6. Edge...not sold on PC and wish IE was available using the technical preview. Unusable on many sites entering form data, username, password, check boxes, etc. IE mobile had similar issues for me but rarely. Also, huge delay in opening links. Sometimes a press of a blank part of the web page works, other times it opens an advert that wasn't yet displayed. Blame the website or the browser? I'm talking major sites, not Geocities.

Last edited:

Nikolakius

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everybody! I will wait for a more stable version of the OS after all! The loading thing is going to be really annoying..
If you have newer info, i would be glad to see it in this post!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, performance is still noticeably worse than the latest 8.1 builds. I load all the W10 builds on my 1020. Well, I don't have the latest build, I don't have a running PC at the moment to go back to 8.1 and then W10 again. Honestly, if I went back to 8.1 on my 1020, I'd stay there.

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520

eehsun

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Build 10549 is a definite improvement, stable enough imo for use as a daily driver. Though obviously you should still expect some issues like slight delays on lock screen, action center, and also delays when pinning stuff to Start. The loading-resuming situation is greatly improved compared to 10532 (still not on par with 8.1, though). Overall, the best build to date.

Also, give 175% DPI a shot, you can turn your 920 into a mini-phablet :grin:

Nikolakius

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Guys help! I decided to take the step and update. but after the installation i can't use wifi 3g and can't send messages. moreover, the battery is dropping very very fast! do i qualify for moving back to 8.1 or can i do anything?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Guys help! I decided to take the step and update. but after the installation i can't use wifi 3g and can't send messages. moreover, the battery is dropping very very fast! do i qualify for moving back to 8.1 or can i do anything?

You could first try a hard reset (factory reset) to check if this solves your problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720