W10M preview builds released too slowly

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Im a but worried bcz the official release is near and the speed of delivering builds is still the same. The same wasn't with the pc when it was close to the release date.. I want W10M to smack android and iOS and dont want them to fail again..

What does that have anything to do with build releases? W10 mobile will come when it comes. Rather it be right than a mess.

As for smacking down Android and iOS that's probably not going to happen for some time, if ever.

Never quite understood that anyway. It's a phone. It's your personal device. You made your choice. Be happy. Who cares what anyone else has. It's just a toy at the end of the day. Society was just fine without these things before.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Here: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10512 | Blogging Windows

"I expect the builds to be out more frequently again as we go forward from here".

Okay. Thanks for the quote.

BuildAnnounced
10166July 10, 2015
10512August 12, 2015

Based on the quote from Gabe Aul, it seems reasonable to expect the next build to release in less than one month's time after 10512.

At the very least that quote and the above dates invalidate Sedp23's claim that nothing has changed. It's yet too early to know if anything has changed. Build 10152 was release just 2.5 weeks ago. It also invalidates the claim that MS is slow, although attempting to judge that solely on the frequency of preview builds is rather ridiculous either way.

I think some here falsely expect to see preview builds appear regularly, every so-and-so number of weeks. That's just not how the insider preview program is setup to work. If you know nothing about software development it's probably impossible to imagine how and why. You'll just have to accept that preview builds aren't scheduled to materialize at any particular time. They'll materialize when they do. All MS can tell us is that they'll release it to the fast ring when one does.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Each build has a set of acceptance criteria that must be passed in order for that build to be released. As more and more people join the Insider Program, it's more important that releases are seen to be stable and not have any significant faults. Imagine the backlash if a build was released with Gabe saying "Well, we promised a build today, and one of the known issues is that messaging isn't working in this build. Hope you enjoy". That's just not going to happen.

The builds are released when they're ready, not according to strict (or even loose) timescales.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Another day without mobile build.. :/ Whats the matter? They said they are going to be serious about W10M but it doesn't look like.. All they care about is pc builds.. Even after the official release, pc builds are still given priority & are still ahead of mobile build.

correction: "all they (Microsoft) care about is Android/iOS!"

We have during 2015 seen an endless stream of new Microsoft projects and apps for Android/iOS but more or less nothing for WP/W10M.
Their focus on WP/W10W is close to nonexistent.

Not even W10 (for PC/tablets) has as good apps as they (MS) makes for Android/iOS.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Okay. Thanks for the quote.

BuildAnnounced
10166July 10, 2015
10512August 12, 2015

I think some here falsely expect to see preview builds appear regularly, every so-and-so number of weeks. That's just not how the insider preview program is setup to work. If you know nothing about software development it's probably impossible to imagine how and why. You'll just have to accept that preview builds aren't scheduled to materialize at any particular time. They'll materialize when they do. All MS can tell us is that they'll release it to the fast ring when one does.

I have a strong feeling that Apple will mange to not only release their new mobile system before Microsoft but that it also will be more polished, have more features AND less bugs...

It is a matter of focus and Microsoft could not care less about their phones.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a strong feeling that Apple will mange to not only release their new mobile system before Microsoft but that it also will be more polished, have more features AND less bugs...

I agree that Apple will release their new mobile OS before Microsoft, but COMPLETELY disagree with the features and bugs comment. Maybe you haven't experienced iOS updates over the past several years, but they are always buggy... and rarely as more than a few features.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I agree that Apple will release their new mobile OS before Microsoft, but COMPLETELY disagree with the features and bugs comment. Maybe you haven't experienced iOS updates over the past several years, but they are always buggy... and rarely as more than a few features.

Just compare the dialer, mail, calendar and music apps... 2005 meets 2015?

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Maybe. Maybe not.

Either way, none of that has anything to do with whether or not the W10M insider preview builds are being released often/frequently enough, nor with how one might try to judge whether MS is slow or not.

I'm not sure how you've come to your conclusion about how focused MS is and how much they care about their phone efforts. I doubt many people here know enough about software development to judge either. IMHO they are focused, they are committed, and they do care.

Rather than asking how fast they are running (they are actually running a lot faster than Apple), I think it would be far more worthwhile to ask whether they are running in the right direction. That's just not what this thread is about.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Yeah!
I demand they release an update that will brick my phone immediately!!!!!

I already did that on build 10166, how about something new.....like smoke!

Sorry folks, this is just another part of being an Insider. We wait. You can start complaining about the next build soon enough

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Any new iOS from Apple is a iteration - a refinement of the previous version.

WM has a lot of new stuff in it. Big new stuff - an entire Android subsystem for instance. Show me one app that is the same? New everything from dialer to browser to settings to alarm clock. Then there is stuff like Continuum. And NFC payment systems. And Windows Hello.

On 100+ phone variants.

You are not comparing apples to apples.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Any new iOS from Apple is a iteration - a refinement of the previous version.

WM has a lot of new stuff in it. Big new stuff - an entire Android subsystem for instance. Show me one app that is the same? New everything from dialer to browser to settings to alarm clock. Then there is stuff like Continuum. And NFC payment systems. And Windows Hello.

On 100+ phone variants.

You are not comparing apples to apples.

So what is the benefit for the end user having a supplier that constantly starts all over again and releases their new system in worse shape than the old (while the competition manage to continuously move forward, even when they make new versions)?

(Btw, 100+ phone variants (not sold units…)? How do you get to that figure? Are there 100+ phone variants that does meet the W10M demands? I don’t think so, please enlighten me)

Last edited:

safariking

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Why are we so unhappy with the insider builds? just be happy that we have the chance to test software, please stop complaining about how bad these builds are IT IS PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE!!! (not finished).

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Why are we so unhappy with the insider builds? just be happy that we have the chance to test software, please stop complaining about how bad these builds are IT IS PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE!!! (not finished).

Could it be because the development/the output is so slow that you get the impression that it's just a few people actually working developing the W10M?

It seems clear that MS has far more/better people working on iOS/Android apps than what they have developing W10M.

safariking

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Could it be because the development/the output is so slow that you get the impression that it's just a few people actually working developing the W10M?

It seems clear that MS has far more/better people working on iOS/Android apps than what they have developing W10M.

Does it really matter how fast they are developing a new mobile OS? as long as the final product is fine i don't care how long it takes to release it

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm not really to sure what you base this on.

1. The core apps (Office/Email/Calendar) are now dramatically better than they were in Windows Phone 8. The slowness of any updated functionality before Windows 10 was due to the fact that those items were baked into the OS build
2.. We've seen very regular updates to all of these apps since we have Windows 10. You've doubtless seen stories on the Windows Central front page where this or that app has been updated.
3. We get a fresh build every few weeks
4. Gabe is pretty cool about continuing to support questions regarding Mobile as much as Desktop

It seems pretty clear to me that Microsoft are active and committed to W10M development.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm not really to sure what you base this on.

1. The core apps (Office/Email/Calendar) are now dramatically better than they were in Windows Phone 8. The slowness of any updated functionality before Windows 10 was due to the fact that those items were baked into the OS build.
I do not agree at all. I find the new calendar/e-mail app even worse that what we had on WP8.1 (especially the calendar). I find them also very slow (on my L925). On the L925 it is also impossible to navigate through emails and calendar with one hand.

New W10M Office IS better than on WP8.1 but it is still nothing compared to what Microsoft has developed for iOS.

2.. We've seen very regular updates to all of these apps since we have Windows 10. You've doubtless seen stories on the Windows Central front page where this or that app has been updated.
What we have seen is mostly new apps for iOS/Android.
Changes made for WP/M10M are only minor fixes w/o change-log or just fixing some minor detail deep in the app.

3. We get a fresh build every few weeks
Do we? Or is "every few weeks" kind of stretchable?

4. Gabe is pretty cool about continuing to support questions regarding Mobile as much as Desktop
I trust him as much as a car dealer...

It seems pretty clear to me that Microsoft are active and committed to W10M development.
I would like to believe that this is true but I just do not see it. What I see is full focus on iOS/Android.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Does it really matter how fast they are developing a new mobile OS? as long as the final product is fine i don't care how long it takes to release it

Yeah, but IF you do like Microsoft Products why not be where MS put their recources?
(I don't (anymore) but for the mass on this board I guess iOS/Android would be a more direct route to MS apps and services...)

IF MS have the most/best people doing stuff for Android/iOS and keep the "left overs" play with WP/W10M, why should you stay to constantly receive their second class products?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but IF you do like Microsoft Products why not be where MS put their recources?
(I don't (anymore) but for the mass on this board I guess iOS/Android would be a more direct route to MS apps and services...)

IF MS have the most/best people doing stuff for Android/iOS and keep the "left overs" play with WP/W10M, why should you stay to constantly receive their second class products?

You of course realize that Microsoft is developing the core apps for Windows 10 right? No point in developing these apps over nearly the past year for Windows phone 8.

Windows 10 mobile isn't done, obviously. This makes Microsoft's apps slow, buggy and not full-featured.

And the fact is, even with that current status, not all best experiences are on iOS & Android. Ever used Outlook for iOS? It's garbage, unsecured and missing basic functionality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon