Messaging Skype Beta available for W10M

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Preview app, the first build, my 720 crashes down after ending any call

Solved.. I let the phone alone for a long while till the battery was low. Plug the charger in and its functioning again.

On my other phone, im having synchronization problem with my contacts info. Phone numbers have disappeared on some outlook contacts , esp those having Skype accounts... Weird

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
IDK if it has to do with the app, but today the app acted like I had no sim for like 12 hours. I recieved texts and notifications for those texts half a day later. I completely didn't recieve those texts. Like even if I opened the app, there was nothing. Then suddenly I recieve 3-4 notifications at once, showing all the texts I got the previous day.

0jonadams

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking forward to this. As someone who uses skype fairly regularly, I love the idea of not having to switch between apps. I hope it works well.

Anyone had good luck with it?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There's a couple new abilities we have now using Skype (our existing Skype conversations just got better!) with this new Messaging Skype Preview; one, is we can now use our fancy Wordflow keyboard (the swipey keyboard function), and two, we can also use speech dictation! (The little microphone icon above the keyboard).

I think I like where things are headed. It's certainly easier having all of our Skype conversations and text/SMS conversations together in one place. I might be a good idea though, if you are part of a regular group chat (like our WC ambassador group), to mute the conversation... Otherwise your phone is going to be constantly going off with your chosen text message ringtone...

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I see this as another app that Microsoft will promote as something awesome, and it will be crap at the end.
All I want are two things:

First - Microsoft, please, give us a Skype app that is the same quality as on Android and iOS. It's a shame that the WP app is years behind, in both design and functionality. It makes 0 sense.
Second - fix the god damn notifications. I don't get notifications from skype about IMs for half of my friends. Some work, and they work great, some do not, and there's completely nothing you can do about them.

For the love of God, don't try to reinvent the wheel, just fix those two things, and we'll be completely satisfied. There isn't any other problem I've encountered with Skype.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I see this as another app that Microsoft will promote as something awesome, and it will be crap at the end.
All I want are two things:

First - Microsoft, please, give us a Skype app that is the same quality as on Android and iOS. It's a shame that the WP app is years behind, in both design and functionality. It makes 0 sense.
Second - fix the god damn notifications. I don't get notifications from skype about IMs for half of my friends. Some work, and they work great, some do not, and there's completely nothing you can do about them.

For the love of God, don't try to reinvent the wheel, just fix those two things, and we'll be completely satisfied. There isn't any other problem I've encountered with Skype.
I'll have to disagree with some of that. If we wanted to continue using Skype the way we expect it to work on iOS and Android, they wouldn't have to change much. Just fix those things like you mentioned, bring it up to par with the other platforms and be done with it. Yes...

But, if we ever want to have a seamless communication service like Apple has with "iMessage" for example, and video calling like FaceTime, then they sort of have to re-invent the wheel. See, they're planning on using the Skype framework to bring us those things. Open messaging from PC to phone, and vice versa, video calling natively from the phone dialer interface, etc etc. All integrated and working together with Skype being the backbone to it all.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'll have to disagree with some of that. If we wanted to continue using Skype the way we expect it to work on iOS and Android, they wouldn't have to change much. Just fix those things like you mentioned, bring it up to par with the other platforms and be done with it. Yes...

But, if we ever want to have a seamless communication service like Apple has with "iMessage" for example, and video calling like FaceTime, then they sort of have to re-invent the wheel. See, they're planning on using the Skype framework to bring us those things. Open messaging from PC to phone, and vice versa, video calling natively from the phone dialer interface, etc etc. All integrated and working together with Skype being the backbone to it all.

Ah yes, I forgot about the whole iMessage and FaceTime thing. Yes, you're right. But I still think these two things I mentioned are of bigger importance.
Also, when you mention "native" video calling, they should add support for the REAL native video-call, as well as the Skype thing ofc.

Another thing I want to add is that the Messaging app feels pretty basic. I mean, it's kinda OK for texts, but for Skype it's not. We're used to the blue and white colors, to the cartoonish design, file and screen sharing. You can't just say oh screw all that, here's only IMs. I don't see why Skype shouldn't just stay Skype, a seperate app, bundled with the OS, that works great on it's own. It can still be used to parry iMessage and FaceTime, while keeping it's own style and functionality.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah yes, I forgot about the whole iMessage and FaceTime thing. Yes, you're right. But I still think these two things I mentioned are of bigger importance.
Also, when you mention "native" video calling, they should add support for the REAL native video-call, as well as the Skype thing ofc.

Another thing I want to add is that the Messaging app feels pretty basic. I mean, it's kinda OK for texts, but for Skype it's not. We're used to the blue and white colors, to the cartoonish design, file and screen sharing. You can't just say oh screw all that, here's only IMs. I don't see why Skype shouldn't just stay Skype, a seperate app, bundled with the OS, that works great on it's own. It can still be used to parry iMessage and FaceTime, while keeping it's own style and functionality.
I think it'll get better. Things will start coming together more once they roll out windows 10 mobile officially. We still have the Skype desktop application with the file sharing and all, and I don't think that's going anywhere anytime soon. The Skype messenger/video calling app(s) should evolve with adoption and usage as more of a Skype "companion" set of mobile apps I think.

Only time will tell I suppose...

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't merge conversations like I thought it would. For example my SMS chat and my Skype chat with the same person are two different threads. Even though I linked the skype account of that person with his outlook account in People.

It's merged for me. I have both text and Skype messages in the same thread. They are colored differently too to quickly know which is which along with the working "Skype" next to the date/time stamp.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Solved.. I let the phone alone for a long while till the battery was low. Plug the charger in and its functioning again.

On my other phone, im having synchronization problem with my contacts info. Phone numbers have disappeared on some outlook contacts , esp those having Skype accounts... Weird

My 920 got bricked the again, definitely its the video preview app. Like before, I have to let the battery deplete itself, then I plugged it to a charger before it become alive.
Not gonna touch the new Skype anymore...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb