The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-11-2015 04:18 AM
50 12
tools
    TechFreak, Nedarata was joking :D
    09-07-2015 05:48 PM
    The updated post showing a Grid like approach for app list

A grid view... you mean like the Start screen?

Two columns would make it so that apps with long names wouldn't fit, much like the oversized names from Windows Phone 8.
    A grid view like start screen? no no.....
    Similar to the one shown in updated post...

It's ok to have space. I find it quick to get to an unpinned app using the alphabet shortcut.

Better than a sea of endless unordered icons which is what my iPhone used to turn into.
    We can have that in Grid view too if they are arranged alphabetically with the Jump letters A B C etc. In this case, we will have bigger visible icons.
    Last edited by xandros9; 09-08-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    09-07-2015 06:15 PM
    TechFreak, Nedarata was joking :D
    Oh right, the lack of emoticons threw me lol..
    09-07-2015 06:39 PM
    The grid is an abomination. You have to scan right, the scan diagonal to the start of the next line, then scan right, and repeat for every row. It gets worse with every time you swipe to the next page of apps as you must repeat the process for an entire page.

The list is so much more effective. I can even just scan for the app as I scroll.
    09-07-2015 07:48 PM
    I don't mind the space. This looks miles cleaner and more easy to read. I am not a big fan of every inch of space occupied by some entity. That's so android.
    libra89, a5cent, xandros9 and 2 others like this.
    09-07-2015 07:58 PM
    I really like the simplicity of the list. It has a very clean feel to it. The only time it's problematic is when your list of apps becomes really long, then even with the sections by letters, it becomes too long.

It would be nice if they had options for how to display it.
    Jazmac and neo158 like this.
    09-07-2015 10:35 PM
    I'd have to say this is one of the very few key design characteristic from the good old WP7 that is still kicking on W10M.....
    09-07-2015 11:23 PM
    It was pretty much all the time like that, so why complain now.
    09-07-2015 11:39 PM
    The grid is an abomination. You have to scan right, the scan diagonal to the start of the next line, then scan right, and repeat for every row. It gets worse with every time you swipe to the next page of apps as you must repeat the process for an entire page.

The list is so much more effective. I can even just scan for the app as I scroll.
    Hmm.. I agree with your point....

I really like the simplicity of the list. It has a very clean feel to it. The only time it's problematic is when your list of apps becomes really long, then even with the sections by letters, it becomes too long.

It would be nice if they had options for how to display it.
    Yes, this is what i have been talking about. There should be option where user can select between "List View" and "Grid View". Moreover, Microsoft is trying to Increase familiarity for New wp users who migrate from Android, so they will love the grid view for apps.

I'd have to say this is one of the very few key design characteristic from the good old WP7 that is still kicking on W10M.....
    I agree with you. But if you see the App list in WP7/8.1 and WM10, you will find the difference in how it looks and feels. While the font in Windows Phone 7/8.1 was too big to fit the screen, in WinM10, it's too small to be quite visible and thus living a large void space. Atleast they should leave a little margin on the left.

It was pretty much all the time like that, so why complain now.
    Because the font size has decreased a lot now leaving more blank space. PLUS more options is always a good step.
    Last edited by xandros9; 09-08-2015 at 09:41 AM.
    09-08-2015 12:46 AM
    The space would be used if the font was sized to respect the setting to increase the size of text, that's the bug
    09-08-2015 01:58 AM
    App list is simply the best.it is most clutter free and easy to use. just cos some space is there we can't fill that with ****. Having said that, it will be more useful to have recently used apps and "Files" listed on the top or on the free space(with option to set number of jump lists or to turn it off if we don't want).
    09-08-2015 04:49 AM
    App list is simply the best.it is most clutter free and easy to use. just cos some space is there we can't fill that with ****. Having said that, it will be more useful to have recently used apps and "Files" listed on the top or on the free space(with option to set number of jump lists or to turn it off if we don't want).
    You have the recently installed apps on top as it is now untill you dismiss them.

What you ask could certanly be implemented but it wouldn't make much sense, you have the start screen that is there to pin the apps you want to quickly access.
    RumoredNow and xandros9 like this.
    09-08-2015 07:31 AM
    Only thing that annoys me here is that black bar with gray outline! I'd keep it transparent.
    09-08-2015 07:50 AM
    Maybe it could be used to display information we choose eg from an app
    09-08-2015 10:41 AM
    Doesn't bother me all. I like the uncluttered look.
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-08-2015 11:31 AM
    You have the recently installed apps on top as it is now untill you dismiss them
    Ya thats there. But what i suggested is recently opened files(videos,songs,pdf etc). Many times I wished to have a recently opened file list, sort of jump list we have on PC. so that we don't have to go all the way deep inside the folders to check the file we just opened. of course we can keep frequently used apps on the start screen but not files(except word).
    09-08-2015 12:39 PM
    Ya thats there. But what i suggested is recently opened files(videos,songs,pdf etc). Many times I wished to have a recently opened file list, sort of jump list we have on PC. so that we don't have to go all the way deep inside the folders to check the file we just opened. of course we can keep frequently used apps on the start screen but not files(except word).
    Then I thinkl a pin folder to start from inside the file manager app would be much better, like on desktop!
    09-08-2015 01:28 PM
    pin folder to start from inside the file manager app
    I think on w10m file explorer we can see the recently opened files.problem solved. I use wp8.1 now. so i am not aware of that. also pining folders from file explorer is not possible with wp8.1.
    Last edited by Joshwin; 09-08-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    09-08-2015 01:44 PM
    Clutter is a reason I left Android - and strongly dislike iOS.
    You're trying to bring junk to a clean OS?
    xandros9 and JohnStrk like this.
    09-08-2015 02:25 PM
    I prefer less on the screen because I happen to like the alphabetized drawer to the right and only keep my most frequented apps and the Cortana tile on the front. I also like the High Contrast look because it gives it a sense of stealth and unrivaled simplicity. Something a lot of smartphone interfaces lack.
    09-08-2015 04:29 PM

I agree with you. But if you see the App list in WP7/8.1 and WM10, you will find the difference in how it looks and feels. While the font in Windows Phone 7/8.1 was too big to fit the screen, in WinM10, it's too small to be quite visible and thus living a large void space. Atleast they should leave a little margin on the left.

Because the font size has decreased a lot now leaving more blank space. PLUS more options is always a good step.
    I think you nailed the exact problem here... The fonts are too small... I reckon they look alright on WP7/8... One can easily tell the different elements on the screen from the different size of the fonts, this won't happen on W10M.... Everything look like an "desktop" app....

If the reason they are adopting the hamburger menu is to make it easier to "steal" the iOS/Android apps, that's gonna be one big failure in terms of a design language...
    09-08-2015 07:21 PM
    Additional information would be nice, like details view on your desktop, size of app, date last used, update waiting, installed on phone or sd (use phone or sd icon), data consumption.
    09-10-2015 01:42 PM
    I like it the way it is
    09-10-2015 05:40 PM
    With everything aligned to the left I can enjoy my background image more
    09-10-2015 07:21 PM
    I don't mind the space. This looks miles cleaner and more easy to read. I am not a big fan of every inch of space occupied by some entity. That's so android.
    Exactly.
    windows10-phones.jpg
    09-11-2015 04:18 AM
50 12