Does anyone else think that it's looking Awful?

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
You're reaching out so far your shoulder, elbow, and wrist are torn. Promotional images for Android and iOS devices show a lot of open/unused space on the home screen.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Nope it looks perfectly fine. Oh and ffs! Stop with this wasted space argument. Humans can only read one line at a time. And it's not like the milliseconds of time wasted on multiple swipes is a waste of anyone's time. Clutter looks far worse tbh.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I have no issue with it. It's way better than Windows Phone 8.1 which was just empty and black (or white, depending on your theme). At least we have the option of a rather delicious looking background image.
I don't have an issue with the search bar either.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
i don't have those lines....
should report it as a bug?

The lines aren't visible, think of it as table with invisible rows and a single column.

The same principle works on the app bar / ellipsis menu and the "all apps" button on the start screen. You don't need to tap the ellipsis, all apps button or the app icon initiate an action. Pressing anywhere on that "row" will initiate desired action, the only exception being the app bar as you will always have more than just one function on said bar (you can tap the left hand side of the app bar and it will still bring up the app bar / ellipsis menu).

To the OP. So you'd rather have a cluttered UI.. but I bet people like yourself would say "oh they are not using the space appropriately!"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

TechnoReact-Site

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
The updated post showing a Grid like approach for app list

A grid view... you mean like the Start screen?

Two columns would make it so that apps with long names wouldn't fit, much like the oversized names from Windows Phone 8.

A grid view like start screen? no no.....
Similar to the one shown in updated post...

It's ok to have space. I find it quick to get to an unpinned app using the alphabet shortcut.

Better than a sea of endless unordered icons which is what my iPhone used to turn into.

We can have that in Grid view too if they are arranged alphabetically with the Jump letters A B C etc. In this case, we will have bigger visible icons.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The grid is an abomination. You have to scan right, the scan diagonal to the start of the next line, then scan right, and repeat for every row. It gets worse with every time you swipe to the next page of apps as you must repeat the process for an entire page.

The list is so much more effective. I can even just scan for the app as I scroll.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind the space. This looks miles cleaner and more easy to read. I am not a big fan of every inch of space occupied by some entity. That's so android.

0jonadams

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I really like the simplicity of the list. It has a very clean feel to it. The only time it's problematic is when your list of apps becomes really long, then even with the sections by letters, it becomes too long.

It would be nice if they had options for how to display it.

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd have to say this is one of the very few key design characteristic from the good old WP7 that is still kicking on W10M.....

TechnoReact-Site

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
The grid is an abomination. You have to scan right, the scan diagonal to the start of the next line, then scan right, and repeat for every row. It gets worse with every time you swipe to the next page of apps as you must repeat the process for an entire page.

The list is so much more effective. I can even just scan for the app as I scroll.

Hmm.. I agree with your point....

I really like the simplicity of the list. It has a very clean feel to it. The only time it's problematic is when your list of apps becomes really long, then even with the sections by letters, it becomes too long.

It would be nice if they had options for how to display it.

Yes, this is what i have been talking about. There should be option where user can select between "List View" and "Grid View". Moreover, Microsoft is trying to Increase familiarity for New wp users who migrate from Android, so they will love the grid view for apps.

I'd have to say this is one of the very few key design characteristic from the good old WP7 that is still kicking on W10M.....

I agree with you. But if you see the App list in WP7/8.1 and WM10, you will find the difference in how it looks and feels. While the font in Windows Phone 7/8.1 was too big to fit the screen, in WinM10, it's too small to be quite visible and thus living a large void space. Atleast they should leave a little margin on the left.

It was pretty much all the time like that, so why complain now.

Because the font size has decreased a lot now leaving more blank space. PLUS more options is always a good step.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
App list is simply the best.it is most clutter free and easy to use. just cos some space is there we can't fill that with ****. Having said that, it will be more useful to have recently used apps and "Files" listed on the top or on the free space(with option to set number of jump lists or to turn it off if we don't want).

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
App list is simply the best.it is most clutter free and easy to use. just cos some space is there we can't fill that with ****. Having said that, it will be more useful to have recently used apps and "Files" listed on the top or on the free space(with option to set number of jump lists or to turn it off if we don't want).

You have the recently installed apps on top as it is now untill you dismiss them.

What you ask could certanly be implemented but it wouldn't make much sense, you have the start screen that is there to pin the apps you want to quickly access.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb