09-11-2015 04:18 AM
50 12
tools
    In Windows 10 Mobile, there is a lot of wasted space in 'All Applications' list which looks Awful. But there is no one discussing about that. So is it only me who thinks that there is a lot of blank wasted space here and it's ugly?

jade-primo10.jpg

Edit- How about SIMILAR grid like approach with a difference that apps are separated alphabetically. We get better visibile flat icons then.

capture.png
    Last edited by TechnoReact-Site; 09-07-2015 at 06:14 PM.
    Deomin, taymur, mikepalma and 3 others like this.
    09-07-2015 01:29 AM
    They should just add that pretty yellow box you made.

Looks fine to me, much better since they added background image.
    09-07-2015 01:51 AM
    Goes well with the wasted space on desktop Windows 10.......
    Joe Dubya and Deomin like this.
    09-07-2015 01:52 AM
    They should just add that pretty yellow box you made.

Looks fine to me, much better since they added background image.
    What about a List view and Grid View Approach that we had for Menus in Order Nokia phones.....
    AllanQuatermain and tangledW like this.
    09-07-2015 05:23 AM
    And if that space was filled up in a grid or two column, then people would complain that it's cluttered and not usable for one handed use.
    09-07-2015 05:37 AM
    Clunky search box at the top, app list shoved to the extreme left. Like the vast majority of W10M it was done better in WP.
    nohra and noersetiawan like this.
    09-07-2015 05:40 AM
    Put the alphabet where the yellow box is located so you can just tap the letter and have it autoscroll the list on the right. Saves a tap since the space is available might as well use it.
    09-07-2015 06:04 AM
    Put the alphabet where the yellow box is located so you can just tap the letter and have it autoscroll the list on the right. Saves a tap since the space is available might as well use it.
    Yep, that seems to be somewhat better. I think i have seen something similar in Android's Contact App....
    09-07-2015 06:20 AM
    Nah, no grid view or alphabet, but hide the ugly search bar DEFINITELY. It's so ugly, I can't stand it.
    I'm not sure how the empty space could be filled so it's not useless, but still not too cluttered and ugly.
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    09-07-2015 08:51 AM
    Just because you have screen space doesn't mean that you should use every square inch of it.

I think it looks fine. The left justification is just a stylistic thing and cramming as much bells and whistles into as much screen space as we can get our hands on it will be disastrous.

Negative space!
    jmshub, realwarder, neo158 and 7 others like this.
    09-07-2015 08:56 AM
    I like it the way it is. Very classy with the background image. You can press the whole line so it is very usable too (i.e. you do not have to reach left side of the screen to click on an app or a letter), if you didn't notice!
    09-07-2015 09:06 AM
    I like it the way it is. Very classy with the background image. You can press the whole line so it is very usable too (i.e. you do not have to reach left side of the screen to click on an app or a letter), if you didn't notice!
    Until you pointed out just now, I have never know you don't need to reach to the left side.. It works in WP8.1 too so I wasted years trying to reach the left of the screen with my short right hand thumb. So, thank you!
    nohra and Paolo Ferrazza like this.
    09-07-2015 09:48 AM
    What about a List view and Grid View Approach that we had for Menus in Order Nokia phones.....
    A grid view... you mean like the Start screen?

Two columns would make it so that apps with long names wouldn't fit, much like the oversized names from Windows Phone 8.
    09-07-2015 10:19 AM
    Clunky search box at the top, app list shoved to the extreme left. Like the vast majority of W10M it was done better in WP.
    Completely disagree.
    The search box is handy, and other than smaller text (which looks and works better) it's the same as it was on Windows Phone. Oh, and except the addition of background image... yeah, it's a big improvement over Windows Phone.
    09-07-2015 10:22 AM
    For me, the app drawer needs 2 improvements white search bar and background img for app drawer while using tile picture for start screen.. Background img for app drawer only appear while using background picture for start screen.
    09-07-2015 11:01 AM
    Ever heard of the concept "less is more"
    09-07-2015 11:08 AM
    In Windows 10 Mobile, there is a lot of wasted space in 'All Applications' list which looks Awful. But there is no one discussing about that. So is it only me who thinks that there is a lot of blank wasted space here and it's ugly?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jade-primo10.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	777.4 KB 
ID:	111800
    It's ok to have space. I find it quick to get to an unpinned app using the alphabet shortcut.

Better than a sea of endless unordered icons which is what my iPhone used to turn into.
    WesleyBPeres likes this.
    09-07-2015 12:21 PM
    Nah, no grid view or alphabet, but hide the ugly search bar DEFINITELY. It's so ugly, I can't stand it.
    I'm not sure how the empty space could be filled so it's not useless, but still not too cluttered and ugly.
    Switching to category view would be nice. This way you can have same alphabet but each letter would have actual app icons. A toggle could be placed beside the search and make the search box smaller. I do like how if you search and app and it's not there you can click "search the store" and it will search for it in the store.
    09-07-2015 01:29 PM
    Actually, this is maybe the most stylish part of the new OS in my opinion :)
    09-07-2015 01:31 PM
    Well i think the techno guy is infected with android.
    Just kidding the blank space looks fine. 😋
    Although we could use a scroll bar there.
    Last edited by Lelouche Lamperouge; 09-07-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    RumoredNow and xandros9 like this.
    09-07-2015 01:53 PM
    You're reaching out so far your shoulder, elbow, and wrist are torn. Promotional images for Android and iOS devices show a lot of open/unused space on the home screen.
    09-07-2015 02:38 PM
    Nope it looks perfectly fine. Oh and ffs! Stop with this wasted space argument. Humans can only read one line at a time. And it's not like the milliseconds of time wasted on multiple swipes is a waste of anyone's time. Clutter looks far worse tbh.
    neo158 likes this.
    09-07-2015 02:45 PM
    i don't have those lines....
    should report it as a bug?
    09-07-2015 02:46 PM
    I have no issue with it. It's way better than Windows Phone 8.1 which was just empty and black (or white, depending on your theme). At least we have the option of a rather delicious looking background image.
    I don't have an issue with the search bar either.
    09-07-2015 03:54 PM
    i don't have those lines....
    should report it as a bug?
    The lines aren't visible, think of it as table with invisible rows and a single column.

The same principle works on the app bar / ellipsis menu and the "all apps" button on the start screen. You don't need to tap the ellipsis, all apps button or the app icon initiate an action. Pressing anywhere on that "row" will initiate desired action, the only exception being the app bar as you will always have more than just one function on said bar (you can tap the left hand side of the app bar and it will still bring up the app bar / ellipsis menu).

To the OP. So you'd rather have a cluttered UI.. but I bet people like yourself would say "oh they are not using the space appropriately!"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-07-2015 05:11 PM
50 12