Do you think w10m is going to save windows phone?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've had no issue with the builds so far. Yeah, they're buggy as anything, but it's nothing we didn't expect already. We still have plenty of time. A month is a long time in software development and we have way more than a month left for Windows 10 Mobile and that's just the RTM release.
I can't say it will save Windows Phone. But it sure as heck has a better chance then what Microsoft has been doing with Windows Phone 8.1. I'll just wait and see what happens.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
With no release date, and no insider knowledge of the progress that MS has made in-house, how did you determine that it's "late in the game"?

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree. At this point they could even release W10M in december, meaning they'd have plenty of time to work on it.

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Looking at Win10 and W10M, my good old memory of Win95 and WinCE 2000 is all coming back...

Good old history huh?!

daniel cooper2

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
It's late in the game if they want any kind if success with the new flagships that's coming out. It's been too long since a real contender wearing that Microsoft logo on a phone. I love windows phone but they can't depend on fanboys to get back in the game. With the power behind Microsoft they have no excuses. You say a month is a long time in software I can't tell from the builds they putting out.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The quality of current builds has nothing to do with how W10 will actually look. It will be good, I can almost promise you that. But will it be enough? My honest oppinion is no. Windows 10 Mobile will run as long as MS has enough money to make it run. Which means it will be there for atleast another 5 years. But it won't be the top OS ever. Things are just not going their way. It will be good for us, the current users, but no new users will come. I mean, they'll come, but there won't be much of them. And that's OK for me.

PigChild

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't look good and what a shame IMO. I love my HTC M8 Windows Phone. I fail to understand why Android and Iphone is kicking it's ****. I have owned both and from a Hardware and software standpoint I simply don't get why more people would not move to WP. It's easy, Hardware is strong and durable, Tons of innovative apps, great camera and video, and in a nut shell the OP system just thinks more like my brain than Apple or Android. I can get the flexibility of Android and the simplicity of Iphone 6 all in one great HTC WP8.1 package! (Sound on the phone is great too:)
I will be sad to see WP go. It's such a great smartphone OP system. I'm keeping mine as long as MS keeps supporting it.:excited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
With no release date, and no insider knowledge of the progress that MS has made in-house, how did you determine that it's "late in the game"?

It's not just about Windows phone and when is it going to release. If we look at all those "it's coming in 8.1, it's coming in 10" and so on..

And if we look at what's been made so far.. My expectations are getting lower with each build.. Yes it's different, but I expected more.

And in the meantime time a group of iOS and Android updates passed by with another update coming very soon with bunch of new features every update..

Now compare that to Windows Mobile..

This is where its "late in game"

Microsoft should focus more on it.
I'm really interested in next build and I hope it works as it should.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Now what is better for their success has little or much to do with which OS will be more appealing. Their software is available everywhere, so hooray! For that..

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
And to be honest the numbers are still getting higher and I see more and more WP devices out there. So I'm guessing it will grow one way or another.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not just about Windows phone and when is it going to release. If we look at all those "it's coming in 8.1, it's coming in 10" and so on..

That's very nondescript. Do you have a link to all these "it's coming" things that Microsoft promised you? Do you have any proof that all these nondescript things aren't coming?

And in the meantime time a group of iOS and Android updates passed by with another update coming very soon with bunch of new features every update..

Which has zero to do with the progress MS has made on W10. You can't judge the progress of W10 based on iOS9 (which has also spent a year+ in development). Have you considered other aspects? Hardware for example. Could Microsoft launch the 950 in a month? What about the two other tiers of low-mid range phones that MS hasn't announced yet? Can those launch in a month? Have the carriers finished testing W10 on their current WP models? Are the distribution channels ready? Is Islandwood and Astoria ready? Is marketing ready for a global launch?

Do you think we weren't saying these same things when WP8 dropped?

The OP is repeating the same "last chance" articles we've been reading since WP7. Microsoft has been "late in the game" since 2011. Yet, WP is still here. And things like Islandwood, Astoria, Continuum, Windows Hello, and universal apps shows that they're still committed to it.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
That's very nondescript. Do you have a link to all these "it's coming" things that Microsoft promised you? Do you have any proof that all these nondescript things aren't coming?

Which has zero to do with the progress MS has made on W10. You can't judge the progress of W10 based on iOS9 (which has also spent a year+ in development). Have you considered other aspects? Hardware for example. Could Microsoft launch the 950 in a month? What about the two other tiers of low-mid range phones that MS hasn't announced yet? Can those launch in a month? Have the carriers finished testing W10 on their current WP models? Are the distribution channels ready? Is Islandwood and Astoria ready? Is marketing ready for a global launch?

Do you think we weren't saying these same things when WP8 dropped?

The OP is repeating the same "last chance" articles we've been reading since WP7. Microsoft has been "late in the game" since 2011. Yet, WP is still here. And things like Islandwood, Astoria, Continuum, Windows Hello, and universal apps shows that they're still committed to it.

I think it's pretty much self explanatory.

Why can other companies do all these things (new appealing software and hardware) and release them every 6-12 months without any problems?

It's only Microsoft's fault and not consumer's who observe them and notice that they are always playing a catch up game.

They need to make it work already and they should have a deadline. Otherwise they'll keep playing that game.

And why a deadline, because without it $&%* just doesn't get done.

And we all know that Microsoft's already knows that so they are not even considering Windows Mobile and other blah blah blah to be successful and are already on their Plan B (Those who follow Satya will know) We can only wait and see if Plan A will ever work.

Till that guy came it seemed like the company was sleeping. Maybe they needed some positivity.

Anyways it's Coming Soon?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it's pretty much self explanatory.

Why can other companies do all these things (new appealing software and hardware) and release them every 6-12 months without any problems?

Except it's not that simple. Samsung didn't develop Android, they skinned it. HTC isn't building their phones from scratch. They wait for Google to finish the latest build and then skin it. Even Google hires other OEMs to build their Nexus line.

They need to make it work already and they should have a deadline. Otherwise they'll keep playing that game.

And why a deadline, because without it $&%* just doesn't get done.

And that's how software works? Make a deadline. The rest falls into place.

It's important to be objective and look at the whole picture. But apparently you have no intention of doing that. So hey, have at it! I won't be around to watch though.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Except it's not that simple. Samsung didn't develop Android, they skinned it. HTC isn't building their phones from scratch. They wait for Google to finish the latest build and then skin it. Even Google hires other OEMs to build their Nexus line.

And that's how software works? Make a deadline. The rest falls into place.

It's important to be objective and look at the whole picture. But apparently you have no intention of doing that. So hey, have at it! I won't be around to watch though.

Funny, I'm saying all that only because I'm actually being objective.

I'm actually inspired by Microsoft and what they do and I wish they could take a bigger peace of the cake.

Yet it's not a reason to defend them and their actions.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
There is a zero dedication to W10M from MS, while we get 1000 preview builds for big Windows we get one buggy build for mobile Windows. It's as if Nadella said "Boys, you can have your toy, but you can only work on it in your free time." So I am skeptical. I like W10M, but I am afraid mistakes were made when the market was still new and it will be difficult to get there now. If WP7 was as feature rich as W10M or WP8.1 are now, maybe there was a chance.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I find these threads hysterical. Really. I mean I'm pretty sure all you people complaining all know how 'easy' it is to do what MS is doing. I mean I'm sure you built a multi device OS. Oh wait...

So the builds aren't fast. So what. I think the builds are a complete waste of time and MS shouldn't have bothered but they wanted to let people have an opinion. That was a mistake...

You're all speculating on things you have no idea about and little knowledge of. You're just complaining because that's what you like to do.

Let's be clear of some things. W10 is not out to save WP or mobile, if you prefer. MS creating an OS to work on any device, that was the plan since day one a unified OS. They put in place for developers to transfer apps over from other OS. They are doing their best but I don't think they care if they're number one, two or three. I think they're just going to keep doing what they're doing.

I don't think people get that. They're not fighting a war any more. There is no 'saving'. W10 is the OS. Devices are devices. PC, tablet or phone. Doesn't matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss