Do you think w10m is going to save windows phone?

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
When win10 becomes a massive success(seems it is already very successful) sure it will change the game in mobile market as well. cos win10 and w10m both looks very similar with similar functionalities and both can run same apps. so people who love windows 10 will sure love w10m as well. and the success of win10 itself will make the people more interested on w10m and that will sure boost the WP market share momentum.

jadan127

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I dont think the builds are terrible. I think you might have bigger expectations than what MS is up to. I like the UI and I like that not everything is different. I just want it to come out so I can install it on my daily driver!

zefsgr

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Seeing that the privacy settings are the same as Windows 10 for PC I actually think Windows 10 mobile will be the final blow.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Seeing that the privacy settings are the same as Windows 10 for PC I actually think Windows 10 mobile will be the final blow.

The privacy settings on all mobiles is about the same on W10. The whole thing about privacy is being overblown by people who don't know anything.

At least MS gives the option to change the settings easily if that's what you want. Sure the wording they've used is vague and upsets people but that's companies for you. They do that on purpose. People who are overly concerned with their privacy shouldn't use smartphones and internet connected devices IMO. But that's just me.

sinisfree

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
"Do you think w10m is going to save windows phone?"

No. I Don't see tsunami of iOS / Android developers rushing to build W10 universal apps. LOL even MS it self gives more focus on their mobile apps for OTHER mobile OS.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
With no release date, and no insider knowledge of the progress that MS has made in-house, how did you determine that it's "late in the game"?

Because Joe Belfiore himself said that the OS was "mostly feature complete" about a month ago, signifying that the heavy lifting had been already accomplished. If that doesn't seem late in the game to you, then what does?

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
The privacy settings on all mobiles is about the same on W10. The whole thing about privacy is being overblown by people who don't know anything.

At least MS gives the option to change the settings easily if that's what you want. Sure the wording they've used is vague and upsets people but that's companies for you. They do that on purpose. People who are overly concerned with their privacy shouldn't use smartphones and internet connected devices IMO. But that's just me.
Everybody is having a go at MS, because they are transparent with their privacy policy and people know about it. Alphabet was scanning children's emails so they could give them better ads. Nobody knew until somebody found out.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
"Do you think w10m is going to save windows phone?"

No. I Don't see tsunami of iOS / Android developers rushing to build W10 universal apps. LOL even MS it self gives more focus on their mobile apps for OTHER mobile OS.

They see it's unrealistic to get on the market with the OS, they try to put there at least their services.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Everybody is having a go at MS, because they are transparent with their privacy policy and people know about it. Alphabet was scanning children's emails so they could give them better ads. Nobody knew until somebody found out.

A lot of Apple users are clueless that the iPhone pretty much tracks everything they do. Not sure about Macs. Most smartphone users probably fall in this category of not knowing.

I'm not against privacy, I get why people want it. Unfortunately technology today isn't about privacy so much as knowing as much about you as possible, mostly for advertising.

I know why people are upset about this regarding Windows as it's by far the biggest target of viruses, trojans and malware. People are concerned about being hacked. How secure is their data? Maybe it's fine today but how about in the future? These are the questions. I'm not concerned personally but that's me. I take these things in stride. You're more likely to get your identity stolen from your garbage bin than you are from being hacked. At least for now.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I find these threads hysterical. Really.

I like your post, and I agree with almost all of it. The constant repetitious complaining that happens here has gotten really old, but fortunately I've learned to mostly ignore it.

One thing I don't agree with...

Let's be clear of some things. W10 is not out to save WP

Windows 10 is most definitely out to save Windows Phone.

One of the main reasons why Microsoft gave Windows 10 out for free was to get everyone using the app store, this is supposed to draw in developers and make them see the huge pool of users they can engage and make money off of. It's been written in numerous articles now that this is all being done to boost their phone division. Windows 10 is supposed to be the savior of Windows Phone.

If Microsoft fails at this and WP's numbers don't increase, the Lumia line is probably toast.

"Microsoft expects to make its own phones for at least the next two years": Bloomberg ? Microsoft 'expects to make its own phones for at least the next two years' | Windows Central

If Windows 10 does not turn things around for their phone division, it will probably relegated to OEM's for using on their own phones only. Microsoft is spending millions on making WP devices and losing money on every single one they sell. Do you really think Nadella is the type of person to spend years losing money on a product? He's not Steve Ballmer. Last I read they were losing 80 cents on every single phone they sell, and now the fate of future Lumia's is literally riding on the success of Windows 10.

zefsgr

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site

It's not only about privacy but also functionality. If someone goes onto Privacy settings on Windows 10 Mobile Preview and under Calendar he disables the "allow apps to use calendar" thing not only he won't be able to create new events on the Calendar app but also his email won't sync.

In my opinion that kind of functionality will confuse a lot of users soon in WP10.
Also, that's because a user won't know why this happens because there is no warning, the apps (or parts of them) just don't work when you turn off the privacy settings.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I find these threads hysterical. Really. I mean I'm pretty sure all you people complaining all know how 'easy' it is to do what MS is doing. I mean I'm sure you built a multi device OS. Oh wait...

So the builds aren't fast. So what. I think the builds are a complete waste of time and MS shouldn't have bothered but they wanted to let people have an opinion. That was a mistake...

You're all speculating on things you have no idea about and little knowledge of. You're just complaining because that's what you like to do.

Let's be clear of some things. W10 is not out to save WP or mobile, if you prefer. MS creating an OS to work on any device, that was the plan since day one a unified OS. They put in place for developers to transfer apps over from other OS. They are doing their best but I don't think they care if they're number one, two or three. I think they're just going to keep doing what they're doing.

I don't think people get that. They're not fighting a war any more. There is no 'saving'. W10 is the OS. Devices are devices. PC, tablet or phone. Doesn't matter.

Why are you always overreacting with every comment anywhere on Windoes Central and put your self as the one who always knows everything and others are just talking random things because they like to complain. I'm not saying that is the case, but it's how you make your comments look like. Not trying to argue with you here, but just a notice.

And why people complain is just simple, they care, they give a **** about Microsoft. It's Windows Central after all, home of Windows phone and Microsoft fans who follows Microsoft for years and those fans got big expectations from Microsoft, why?, cos' they want it to succeed.

I also want it to succeed in every way possible including Windows Mobile, cos I think it's worth it, the idea is excellent, they just need to make it right.

And everything you said after "Let's be clear of some things" is pretty damn true and that's actually a part of this issue.

I like every Microsoft product, Xbox, W10, etc. However phones are still lacking. And as soon as they push out new updates and there is improvement or something that people asked for I'll be happy to recommend it ever more.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
It's late in the game if they want any kind if success with the new flagships that's coming out. It's been too long since a real contender wearing that Microsoft logo on a phone. I love windows phone but they can't depend on fanboys to get back in the game. With the power behind Microsoft they have no excuses. You say a month is a long time in software I can't tell from the builds they putting out.

Agreed.

It's late in the game because they risk missing the holiday season.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
IOS 9 comes out tomorrow? Man that was fast.

According to the rumors that is correct.
AND, what is almost like a parody is that Apple is rumored to have really upgraded their cameras well above PureView standard AND that the updated Apple camera app is feature heavy as he?l.

So the new Microsoft 950X will compete with a new iPhone that has a superior camera and an even better camera app (and MS will have less features than they had a year ago?). Good luck MS!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Why are you always overreacting with every comment anywhere on Windoes Central and put your self as the one who always knows everything and others are just talking random things because they like to complain. I'm not saying that is the case, but it's how you make your comments look like. Not trying to argue with you here, but just a notice.

And why people complain is just simple, they care, they give a **** about Microsoft. It's Windows Central after all, home of Windows phone and Microsoft fans who follows Microsoft for years and those fans got big expectations from Microsoft, why?, cos' they want it to succeed.

I also want it to succeed in every way possible including Windows Mobile, cos I think it's worth it, the idea is excellent, they just need to make it right.

And everything you said after "Let's be clear of some things" is pretty damn true and that's actually a part of this issue.

I like every Microsoft product, Xbox, W10, etc. However phones are still lacking. And as soon as they push out new updates and there is improvement or something that people asked for I'll be happy to recommend it ever more.

Sorry I'll go stalk someone else then... :) Didn't realise it was you... though I don't pay attention to these things.

People complain because they feel they have ownership, because they have a WP. That is all. If they didn't they wouldn't care. The fact there are other OSs available seems to allude them. But it's no different than feeling you have ownership in a sports team or any other 'brand'.

My point is, the OS is the important part here. Regardless of whether WP is number 1 or number 10. People keep expecting big things from smartphone makers but we're well past that. We're now in the saturation point and the difference will come down to software. MS is a software company. They're doing something that no one else is doing. It will take time to make it right. I'd rather people understand that than complain and whinge.

MS is in entering territory that no other OS developer has done yet. Give them some credit and some time.

We need to stop expecting miracles and just see where things go. At the end of the day, it's just a smartphone, a toy. It's as important as you make it. If WP isn't doing it for you, use another OS until it is. It's not that you hate MS you just need a break. Honestly, I think all the complainers need one. Seriously.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
AND, what is almost like a parody is that Apple is rumored to have really upgraded their cameras well above PureView standard AND that the updated Apple camera app is feature heavy as he…l.

So the new Microsoft 950X will compete with a new iPhone that has a superior camera and an even better camera app (and MS will have less features than they had a year ago…). Good luck MS!

Damn. And I thought the glass was half full. :(

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not 100% sure that W10M can save Windows phone. The Problem is the Apps (like it or not), we cant get the apps because we don't have the marketshare but, we cant get the marketshare because we DONT have the apps. Microsoft's big push is what will possibly SAVE Windows Phone, this is Uninversal Apps and Android apps to WP. They are hoping these almost desperate pushes will get devs to make WP apps but, as I said above about marketshare, not sure on how well that will work.

The ONLY saving grace here is that Windows 10 (desktop) is a free update and if it's very minor code changes that can turn it into a universal app, it's possible it could work... It has positive aspects but, it has major flaws, that is for a different discussion.

As for W10m being a buggy mess, I think once the next build hits, you will be impressed. Now that features are locked, it's going to be for them to fix the bugs...With the wait in-between builds, I think the next build will be a major step.

So, in a nutshell, Do I think Windows 10 Mobile is going to fix Windows Phone, sad to say my answer is no.

We need to stop expecting miracles and just see where things go.

Miracles ? Man I am just waiting for apps that other phones have had for years. Or how about solid Smartwatch options ? Oh, the FITNESS band that Microsoft made, that is not what I mean. It's fine to complain if your new but, for someone who started on WP the first day I could get one, It's beyond old now.

Most of us are not looking for "miracles" we are just looking for standards that have been available for EVERY OTHER PHONE. If they want to be Number 2 or 3 in the smart phone world, they NEED to have the options like every other phones have.

And a smartphone is NOT a toy (maybe to some) but, It's a TOOL.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
and put your self as the one who always knows everything

To be fair, don't all of us here do this? :eck:

AND, what is almost like a parody is that Apple is rumored to have really upgraded their cameras well above PureView standard AND that the updated Apple camera app is feature heavy as he?l.

So the new Microsoft 950X will compete with a new iPhone that has a superior camera and an even better camera app (and MS will have less features than they had a year ago?). Good luck MS!

Yeah, we can make fun of Apple, but Microsoft would move heaven and earth to be in Apple's shoes! I have the utmost respect for any company who can create the following that Apple has. They have earned it by producing a well-functioning, consistent product, year after year after year. Not outstanding or too flashy, but yet good and solid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire