Do you think w10m is going to save windows phone?

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, don't all of us here do this? :eck:

Yeah, we can make fun of Apple, but Microsoft would move heaven and earth to be in Apple's shoes! I have the utmost respect for any company who can create the following that Apple has. They have earned it by producing a well-functioning, consistent product, year after year after year. Not outstanding or too flashy, but yet good and solid.

Haha yes and I hate it when It feels like I'm doing the same. Just being defensive thought and understand why people feel in a certain way.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Unless there is some huge change in app availability WP10 is going to do nothing. They had years to come up with a decent Music app after dumping Zune and still can't. I just see them going through the motions because they feel obligated to try something before calling it quits. Expensive high end phones are not going to change the fact I can't even set my lineup in my yahoo fantasy football league or check my bank balance. They should just dump windows mobile and concentrate on making all their services available for Android and iOS. I'd also like to see a Tile launcher for Android. There are already some good ones that make an Android phone almost indistinguishable from a WP. I can also see Microsoft maybe joining forces with Apple to compete with Google.

Last edited:

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I understand its not easy but in my case and probably many were missing apps that we need ! I've been with mi cracked screen 1520 for 5 months im on att and they have one phone at my local stores to offer! It sucks! With Microsoft its " take it or leave it".

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
And as someone who uses Windows I'll complain about Windows, not Android or iOS.

Same for me (so far).
I care because I believed in WP (not any more) and because I really, really, really like my surfaces with W8.1. I find also Microsoft Band to suit my demands pretty well (but make it waterproof for fu..s sake!).

My plan is to take the next iPhone (6S?) which I will get for free via my work (we get Samsung, Sony and Apple for free but I had to pay for my Lumias, which was OK when I got Office etc as a unique feature).

My next step will be to buy a new iPad (had previously a v3 which I sold). If the rumors are correct, the next OS9 will have support for splitscreen a la Windows 8 (!!?).
I’ll also see if the Apple office is a real alternative to my 365 subscription. I do already have a Macbook Pro but has so far mostly used it with W8.1. Maybe it’s time to do some more time in Yosemite (I do not like W10)?

The only computers I can not easily exchange for Macs are my two PCs running Cubase. Cubase IS available (same license) on Mac but I have many many VST-licenses that are PC only.

Anyhow, I am pretty upset with Microsoft. They have had so many chances but just seem to do everything possible to make their old, loyal, customers disappointed.
If you look at the path from Pocket PC 2003 (I started with a Fujitsu Loox 10 years ago), Windows Mobile 6.0/6.16.5 Windows 7.0, Windows 8/8.1 and now W10M and compare this "development" (normally few steps forward and many steps back) with what Apple has consistency been doing it is pretty obvious that Microsoft is short sighted with no, valid, long term plan.

And now, removing the at least half good Nokia apps w/o anything to replace them with is just totally bizarre (and MS must be unique in doing these things). How could people stay with this?

Last edited:

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Same for me (so far).
I care because I believed in WP (not any more) and because I really, really, really like my surfaces with W8.1. I find also Microsoft Band to suit my demands pretty well (but make it waterproof for fu..s sake!).

My plan is to take the next iPhone (6S?) which I will get for free via my work (we get Samsung, Sony and Apple for free but I had to pay for my Lumias, which was OK when I got Office etc as a unique feature).

My next step will be to buy a new iPad (had previously a v3 which I sold). If the rumors are correct, the next OS9 will have support for splitscreen a la Windows 8 (!!?).
I’ll also see if the Apple office is a real alternative to my 365 subscription. I do already have a Macbook Pro but has so far mostly used it with W8.1. Maybe it’s time to do some more time in Yosemite (I do not like W10)?

The only computers I can not easily exchange for Macs are my two PCs running Cubase. Cubase IS available (same license) on Mac but I have many many VST-licenses that are PC only.

Anyhow, I am pretty upset with Microsoft. They have had so many chances but just seem to do everything possible to make their old, loyal, customers disappointed.
If you look at the path from Pocket PC 2003 (I started with a Fujitsu Loox 10 years ago), Windows Mobile 6.0/6.16.5 Windows 7.0, Windows 8/8.1 and now W10M and compare this "development" (normally few steps forward and many steps back) with what Apple has consistency been doing it is pretty obvious that Microsoft is short sighted with no, valid, long term plan.

And now, removing the at least half good Nokia apps w/o anything to replace them with is just totally bizarre (and MS must be unique in doing these things). How could people stay with this?

Everyone has an affair with Apple at some point in their tech lives. In the end, they come back to Microsoft...

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
anyhow, i am pretty upset with microsoft. They have had so many chances but just seem to do everything possible to make their old, loyal, customers disappointed.
It is pretty obvious that microsoft is short sighted with no, valid, long term plan.

And now, removing the at least half good nokia apps w/o anything to replace them with is just totally bizarre (and ms must be unique in doing these things). How could people stay with this?

this.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Miracles ? Man I am just waiting for apps that other phones have had for years. Or how about solid Smartwatch options ? Oh, the FITNESS band that Microsoft made, that is not what I mean. It's fine to complain if your new but, for someone who started on WP the first day I could get one, It's beyond old now.

Most of us are not looking for "miracles" we are just looking for standards that have been available for EVERY OTHER PHONE. If they want to be Number 2 or 3 in the smart phone world, they NEED to have the options like every other phones have.

And a smartphone is NOT a toy (maybe to some) but, It's a TOOL.

There are other OSs you can go to and still be productive with. Hence my point of those who are tired of waiting. There isn't going to be any silver bullet. W10 will not make the devs come running. It's a hope only.

Most people use smartphones as toys. I'm not saying it isn't a tool in some instances but most general use is toy. To suggest otherwise is to lie.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not certain it will "save" Windows phone and I'm not really sure that is Microsoft's goal either. As long as they are selling software and services to lots of people, on lots of different devices, they are happy and Windows 10 looks like it will be a big success in that regard. Where I work is planning the changeover from Windows 7 in the near future. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of apps is ancient history in another few years. Google is already exploring the future beyond apps, and I expect all the big players are doing the same. What we perceive today as an "app gap" will soon be looked back on like we look back and remember when every day Apple obituaries were being written because they just couldn't run all the big programs like you could on Windows!

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Unless there is some huge change in app availability WP10 is going to do nothing. They had years to come up with a decent Music app after dumping Zune and still can't. I just see them going through the motions because they feel obligated to try something before calling it quits. Expensive high end phones are not going to change the fact I can't even set my lineup in my yahoo fantasy football league or check my bank balance. They should just dump windows mobile and concentrate on making all their services available for Android and iOS. I'd also like to see a Tile launcher for Android. There are already some good ones that make an Android phone almost indistinguishable from a WP. I can also see Microsoft maybe joining forces with Apple to compete with Google.

If it gets to that point I will truly stop caring about mobile and focus on other things. I will certainly not follow these tech sites as much as I do now. The thing is Windows 10 Mobile will at least get a two year window at least to make some significant changes specifically in the app ecosystem. With Microsoft's efforts to help developers bring their apps over I hope to see a two fold growth situation with more apps/more users. It remains to be seen if they will give it a chance but if they do, Windows 10 Mobile will be here to stay.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
No i think the next update after Windows 10 will fix everything except maybe the update after that and so on.

Classic soon and will attitude will be shown here until the very last WP user commits suicide 😅

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Most of us are not looking for "miracles" we are just looking for standards that have been available for EVERY OTHER PHONE. If they want to be Number 2 or 3 in the smart phone world, they NEED to have the options like every other phones have.
You say you're NOT looking for a miracle, but you do want to see the same amount of accessory and app support on WM, that Android and iOS enjoy. Considering WP's market share, that would absolutely be a miracle however. Is that not a contradiction?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Be realistic. With just 2.5% marketshare (and falling), Microsoft explicitly saying they are not concerned with growing it as a business and no compelling differentiating features to look forward to nothing is going to "save' Windows Phone, its already a footnote in the mobile industry.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Be realistic. With just 2.5% marketshare (and falling), Microsoft explicitly saying they are not concerned with growing it as a business and no compelling differentiating features to look forward to nothing is going to "save' Windows Phone, its already a footnote in the mobile industry.

I don't have any hope for taking market share, particularly in the US, but Continuum is a competing feature and market share it's still growing in Europe and South America.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
People complain because they feel they have ownership, because they have a WP. That is all. If they didn't they wouldn't care. The fact there are other OSs available seems to allude them. But it's no different than feeling you have ownership in a sports team or any other 'brand'.

Umm, I do have ownership if only a smidgen, where do you think most of the money I doled out for WPs went, into thin air? MS isn't where they are today because investors thought they'd throw in some money just for the hell of it, they invested because MS has/had good ideas and products that would sell, and who bought those products, you and I along with millions of others, so yeah, I do believe those that "supported" MS over the years do have a say because "WE" made them what they are today.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
To address the original question, I really, really really want W10M to save the Windows phone. HOWEVER, I am so disappointed by the way all the fantastic UI innovations in WP8.1 have been abandoned in W10M (yes, I KNOW it's a beta, but the direction is clear). I really dislike using it; it's like a crude copy of Android, and I'd rather use a real Android phone than this. With sorrow I've rolled back to WP8.1 and expect to stay there.

This sacrifice was necessary, apparently, in order to support the "universal app" concept, with a common user experience across all three platforms (desktop, tablet, phone). Personally I am EXTREMELY sceptical that this will work for apps with any decent functionality.

Take Outlook 2013, for instance. It's a complex desktop app with a lot of functionality and a complex UI. It would be a VAST amount of work to design a new UI for it that would kick in when the software found itself on a tablet, and yet another UI that would take over on a phone. In fact it seems inconceivable that Outlook 2013 could ever be useable on a 5" screen.

This is true of a whole range of Windows desktop applications - the idea that the developers will manage to make a reasonably functional app that will span all three platforms is for the birds, in my view. I think most of them will only ever span two (desktop/tablet, or tablet/phone). Maybe that is all it takes, but we seem to have made a big sacrifice in the UI in order to enjoy the "benefits" of universal apps. (Exactly the same is true of programs written in Java, for example: multi-platform, so a crap lowest-common-denominator UI.)

Microsoft make great play of "One experience, all platforms". But is "one experience" REALLY that important? Apple and Google have managed extremely well so far without it.

So no, I don't think W10M will save the Windows phone. I think it COULD have done, but Microsoft have blown it. I am deeply saddened by that: I wanted W10M to be a super-polished version of WP8.1, and I guess we'll never get to see that.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This sacrifice was necessary, apparently, in order to support the "universal app" concept, with a common user experience across all three platforms (desktop, tablet, phone). Personally I am EXTREMELY sceptical that this will work for apps with any decent functionality.

off topic:

This is a bit of an urban legend around here, but it's pretty much malarkey. If anything, we can "thank":

a) Islandwood
b) Astoria and
c) developers seeking to target all three platforms with a single app

for the upcoming change in UI paradigms. MS' UAP is not to blame here.

If MS controlled the UIs most developers are targeting with their mobile apps, we'd likely have gotten an improved Metro rather than a UI who's primary goal is to not stray too far from iOS and Android conventions.

Last edited:

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Windows still owns Business. Balmer and his nutty ideas tried to kill MS with Win8 and failed.

Win10 is succeeding....and was badly needed by business. Win10Mobile has a good chance of increasing market share as more Bosses realize that Win10M fits into the Business Plan. Phones that match Win10 and have Continuum.

MS, give business the phones that we need and don't try to make them too expensive.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
If anything, we can "thank":

a) Islandwood
b) Astoria and
c) developers seeking to target all three platforms with a single app

for the upcoming change in UI paradigms. MS' UAP is not to blame here.

Actually that's incredibly helpful and I'm very happy to stand corrected. In summary, then, you're saying the changes in W10M are primarily to make it easier to port iOS and Android apps to W10M, yes?

That's the trade-off: no more WP8.1 design language, in exchange for plenty more apps.

That sounds totally believable. I must say, it's a hell of a risk; they've deliberately thrown away their crown jewels (the WP8.1 design language) on the gamble that they'll get more apps over to W10M. If those developers STILL don't bother to port their apps, then Microsoft loses both ways: no Unique Selling Point (the WP8.1 design language) and no apps either.

FWIW, I wish they hadn't done that. I chose a Windows Phone because of it's gorgeous UI and design language. Now it looks so much like Android and iOS I can't see any point in using it. Might as well go for the real thing (Android, in my case).

Incidentally, I don't believe it's the lack of apps that is the reason for Windows phones not selling well. I think it's to do with the market already being saturated when Windows Phone launched; and to do with Android and iOS getting there YEARS before, so by now everybody has invested their time and money, and their learning efforts, in those two platforms. I think Microsoft's USP, although brilliant in WP8.1, simply wasn't enough to pull people out of their comfort zones.

That's why I think this gamble will fail. Even if it succeeds, we'll just end up with another iOS/Android look-alike. Yawn.

I can't tell you how upset I am about W10M. I so wanted to stick with Microsoft and Windows phone. But it'll be WP8.1 for now, and Android for my next phone. :cry:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Just one point: if I remember correctly android launched in 2008 with the G1 so Microsoft was just 2 years behind but clearly didn't focus enough on WP and android ran away with the market. Being late AND lazy is what killed them.

Sent from my Lumia 1020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa