Do you think w10m is going to save windows phone?

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Nope. MS learned the lesson with W8-W10 but they are still not applying the same strategy to W10m. Start menu. They brought it back and now people are happy because they are familiar with it. Start Menu for desktop computers = dock icons for main functions for mobile devices. And app drawer?that really unnecessary long list of apps?.why the hell?

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Nope. MS learned the lesson with W8-W10 but they are still not applying the same strategy to W10m. Start menu. They brought it back and now people are happy because they are familiar with it. Start Menu for desktop computers = dock icons for main functions for mobile devices. And app drawer?that really unnecessary long list of apps?.why the hell?
Y not get android or ios then?? If all the os's look exactly the same then whats the use of different os's existing !

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Y not get android or ios then?? If all the os's look exactly the same then whats the use of different os's existing !

Cuz I hate laggy android and I’m wp fan, but probably I will get ios. Anyhow, the “to be different, just for the sake to be different” I don’t think its good idea. At this stage I think wp needs to be “twisted” in order to attract wider customer base which will be healthy for the eco-system. We have tiles and that’s enough differentiation I think. Why do you think they got back to start menu in w10 and they didn’t continued with w8 ui? And can you explain me one rational benefit of that long app list? Im pointing this just because I want w10m to succeed. (sorry about my bad English)

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

My thoughts exactly. I bought a WP8.1 phone because I love the innovative UI, with its ultra-modern appearance, slick animations, sophisticated design language.

A moderator on this forum explained that all of this has been abandoned in order to support the easy porting of iOS and Android apps to W10M (Microsoft saw the lack of apps as the reason for Windows Phone's poor take-up). Basically, the UI controls need to be fairly similar in order to make easy porting feasible.

Microsoft have gambled their crown jewels (the WP8.1 UI and design language) against the hope of getting many more apps ported to the platform. I think it's a hell of a gamble and personally I doubt it will work.

For me, though, if W10M is going to be an iOS/Android look-alike then I might as well use the real thing and just buy an Android phone.

The superb design of WP8.1 is gone forever. I am deeply saddened by this. It was exceptional and my dreams of W10M being a super-polished version of WP8.1 have been dashed.

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. I bought a WP8.1 phone because I love the innovative UI, with its ultra-modern appearance, slick animations, sophisticated design language.

A moderator on this forum explained that all of this has been abandoned in order to support the easy porting of iOS and Android apps to W10M (Microsoft saw the lack of apps as the reason for Windows Phone's poor take-up). Basically, the UI controls need to be fairly similar in order to make easy porting feasible.

Microsoft have gambled their crown jewels (the WP8.1 UI and design language) against the hope of getting many more apps ported to the platform. I think it's a hell of a gamble and personally I doubt it will work.

For me, though, if W10M is going to be an iOS/Android look-alike then I might as well use the real thing and just buy an Android phone.

The superb design of WP8.1 is gone forever. I am deeply saddened by this. It was exceptional and my dreams of W10M being a super-polished version of WP8.1 have been dashed.

I started using windows phone since windows phone 7.5 on a Lumia 510. I just loved the tiled interface nd the smoothness of the Os and the fact that all the apps looked consistent... But that has changed now. But giving it one last try. Maybe if windows 10M still at least retains the smoothness of windows phone 8.1 I will continue with windows phone. :)

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I started using windows phone since windows phone 7.5 on a Lumia 510. I just loved the tiled interface nd the smoothness of the Os and the fact that all the apps looked consistent... But that has changed now. But giving it one last try. Maybe if windows 10M still at least retains the smoothness of windows phone 8.1 I will continue with windows phone. :)
Friend…I’m not talking about you and me, but about mass adoption….

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
There is a lot of work a head to do with the apps, I suggested there are a lot of apps available for
Iphone and android phones that are not available for Windows phone. TV channels are advertising of their apps, AT&T is advertising about apps, not available for Windows phones, a few banks
have dropped apps for Window phones, and grocery stores have apps, not available for Window
phones. Microsoft needs to make the apps available for Window phones and PCs or their loosing
a good part of the market.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
While I don't necessarily agree with some of the thoughts here it reminded me of something I saw once:
swphone1.png

I think the reason why some here (including me) are so passionate about windows phone is that they REALLY like it, but they understand that if it doesn't have the proper support it's going to die...no matter how good it is (ZuneHD anyone?). As I write software, I could come up with all kinds of situations and excuses as to why MS is having problems but it all comes down to one thing - MS was (very) late to this party. They are making the mistakes the other guys made years ago. Why they didn't learn from those mistakes is anyone's guess, but here we are. At this point it's more wait and see...still more room on the board ;)

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
In 2007 my best friend bought an iphone.

I was a bit of a gadget lover, but my friend always wanted to be in the frontline, ahead of the pack.
He would always want the newest stuff and he didn't mind spending money on it.
He came to my place with it, showing it of, and explaining to me all the finer details about it and he seemed to be very happy with it.

Then a few days later he called me and told me that he had hooked it up to his pc a day prior to his call, and that he downloaded something called Itunes because that's what he needed to watch his pictures from his trips around the globe, and that's also what he needed for his mp3 collection.
The reason why he called was because this itunes thingy, had converted all of his pictures and mp3's into other formats, and he couldn't access them anymore.
There wasn't a backup, and he asked me if i knew a way to revert the pictures to the original .jpg format.

I tried.

I restored almost 20% of his pictures, but the rest stayed inaccessible but he was glad he got some Vietnam pictures back.
I kept the original inaccesible files for a few years and now and then i tried with various programs to recover them but i never succeeded.
That experience was and is the reason i will never buy anything from apple.
I have worked with these things, and i don't like them, i see the fanboys and i don't like them, i don't like the people that try to take pictures with an ipad, i don't like the people that hang ipad's to their windscreen as a device to navigate.

I don't want Microsoft to come up with something stupid, i give them time, time to make it the best experience possible.
I have one thing that my best friend still doesn't have.

Patience.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
#Dietrich Cleijne Excellent Post! I concur.

I'm thinking Microsoft learned way more with 8 and then 8.1 than many give them credit.
I loved 8.1 Completely bought in. Desktop and Mobile.

Lumia 920 stunned me. I was an Iphone\Ipad\MacBook CTO of my company.
(RDP into Windows desktops for lots of my admin\work tasks)

That 920 led to a dormant stack of Mac products.
I built an armory of Windows 8.1 weapons.
Lumia 1520
Lumia 2520 (RT got a black eye, but 99% of the time the Surface 2 Pro stays in hibernation mode while the light and fast LTE tablet gets the job done)
And as stated, the Surface 2 Pro (Now running W10 with full RSAT support)

I personally do not think that Microsoft is aiming for a quick comeback assault in the Mobile market. And I totally agree that the upcoming "flagships" (950's) are not expected to lead a second attempt to gain large market share.
Instead, it is a long term strategy of W10 overall........... becoming the defacto look and feel of all things "Windows".

Sooner or later a Windows phone won't look so different to average folks. It'll look just like their desktop and their tablet and their......
I even think the day is coming that you buy a Ford Pickup truck and that isn't some "navigation package" option in the dash.
It's W10. Imagine turning it on the first time and logging into your OneDrive identity.
Bluetooth to your phone for music? Why? Your music is available directly to the dash. And so is everything else it syncs to in your cloud.

Call me crazy, W10 changes everything. Just not this very second.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Is it what people want though? That everywhere they look it looks the same. Android is very popular also because the phone owner can modify the phone look the way they want, it probably empowers them that they figured it out, I don't know, I don't have these urges :D Will they want the uniformed look that W10 is offering or will they still want something that looks the way it does, because they wanted it like that?

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Is it what people want though? That everywhere they look it looks the same. Android is very popular also because the phone owner can modify the phone look the way they want, it probably empowers them that they figured it out, I don't know, I don't have these urges :D Will they want the uniformed look that W10 is offering or will they still want something that looks the way it does, because they wanted it like that?

It's been the goal of windows phone from windows phone 7, and I believe the reason most people bought in way back then. It would be silly for those people to bail at the point when it's really happening.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
It's been the goal of windows phone from windows phone 7, and I believe the reason most people bought in way back then. It would be silly for those people to bail at the point when it's really happening.

I mean new people, they apparently think they can lure new ones with this unified approach. I am saying for people their smartphone is very personal, not a device that looks just like the one at work.

ltjordan24

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
By itself, no. But WM10 is just laying the ground work. I believe that two other things need to be successful in order for Microsoft to turn around its mobile fortunes. One, Universal apps. Microsoft has bent over backwards trying to get developers to come over. If the desktop version of the OS is able to reach 10 billion installs, it would be insane for developers not to have mobile versions of their apps. Two, Microsoft has to come out with a phone design that takes phones to the next level. To be perfectly honest, phones all look the same nowadays. This new phone needs to be beautiful and functional. The combination of these three things should turn Microsoft's fortunes around.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site

How much mod needing on a phone though? WP has the tiles, you can modify things also. Iphones i cannot stand all those icons, Hoarders phone lol. I like my phone to be easy go straight to it not flicker through 100 icons. What will save WP's is the Apps simple.

zammi

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Certainly not, unless Microsoft Changes it's mobile strategy. Survival doesn't depend on the features/apps W10M brings.

The biggest harm was already done by Microsoft to Windows Phone by giving all preference to Nokia and ignoring other potential manufacturers.

Either they have to be another Apple; build some rock solid phones them self, and do not sell license to other oems.
Else follow Google: Do not build any phone them self and get their partner oems to build the phones.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
How much mod needing on a phone though? WP has the tiles, you can modify things also. Iphones i cannot stand all those icons, Hoarders phone lol. I like my phone to be easy go straight to it not flicker through 100 icons. What will save WP's is the Apps simple.
I like the WP look, I would not be here otherwise. I liked this style since Zune HD. I like that UI is simple and it's all goal oriented. I do what I want with the phone and put it away. But that's not what other people want apparently. People are attached to their phones, they can't put them away. For that I think WP is too 'boring', too Spartan, not enough bells and whistles hanging off it. MS want to try their luck in businesses, but I think people generally like pretty things, being minimalistic does not appeal to everybody.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel