Things we need working in the next build of W10M

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
According to Gabe Aul on Blogging Windows, there have been quite a few things fixed on the upcoming W10M build.

mobile hotspot functionality now works, Quiet Hours\Do Not Disturb has been fixed, pinch and zoom in the Maps app now works as expected and the delay in showing the date and time on the Lock screen has been improved

Mobile Hotspot was the biggest for me, but Quiet Hours and pinch and zoom in maps are two biggies as well. Glad those are resolved going forward, as I'm sure most of you are as well.

However, what remains that has not been mentioned? Glance Screen? Am I going to lose it if I jump in on the builds starting with the next release?

What else is still missing/broken that hurts usage for a daily driver. Glance Screen is one for me. Does double-tap to wake work? Anything else?

EDIT: Here's the list we are compiling of what has NOT been reported as being fixed in the next build, but needs fixing.
1. Glance Screen
2. Fix horizontal swiping in Edge

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Double tap is still working very well on my 920 :D If anything I would like to see Edge be a bit faster

Edit: I would also like to see the implementation of horizontal swiping in the browser again :/ Really miss that

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Fixing things that were broken is hardly exciting...

Seems to me that's all microsost is doing... remiving/breaking features... Couple builds later, bring back same features which we always had in 8.1..... ZOMG!WOW!

How about some new features??

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
How about some new features??

Adding features always adds bugs. How about we fix what's already broken and missing before we start getting fancy. I need it to work reliably.

I just noticed a bit ago that Gabe Aul has tweeted that the number of tiles on the start menu will no longer cause problems. That's good news.

He also had stated Edge has been getting a lot of fixing and love, so perhaps it will seem faster[SUP]TM[/SUP] for you, ven.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the missing features in the new camera for Windows 10? I've heard it doesn't have all the features of Lumia Camera 5. Has it ever been updated to cover what is needed yet?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Adding features always adds bugs. How about we fix what's already broken and missing before we start getting fancy. I need it to work reliably..

This is my point. They keeping breaking what is working and then fixing it..... How many things from WP8.1 needed fixing?

To me, Windows 10 mobile just seems like a big visual upgrade :/

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
To me, Windows 10 mobile just seems like a big visual upgrade :/

To you, perhaps. It's not just "fixing" 8.1. The core is being re-worked completely to share the core code with the Desktop PCs, Xbox, IoT, HoloLens, and so much more. There's a lot going on that you CAN'T see that is very important.

This topic is NOT a place to rant or gripe about a perceived lack of progress, but to get an idea on the current status of the current build and what we are hoping to see in this next. If you wish to continue your discussion, you are welcome to start a new thread. Let's keep this one on topic, please.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok - so picture auto upload to one drive don't work??
(new to Windows Mobile 10)
Correct. It doesn't upload in the background. You have to keep the OneDrive app open and active for photos to upload. This essentially males photo upload a manual process.

There is a similar issue with Groove Music. It can't download in the background. While this is inconvenient, I don't see it as a show stopper because I am not downloading music all of the time.

The lack of auto upload for photos is a show stopper and needs to be addressed before they ship W10M.

nedretvedt

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Correct. It doesn't upload in the background. You have to keep the OneDrive app open and active for photos to upload. This essentially males photo upload a manual process.

There is a similar issue with Groove Music. It can't download in the background. While this is inconvenient, I don't see it as a show stopper because I am not downloading music all of the time.

The lack of auto upload for photos is a show stopper and needs to be addressed before they ship W10M.

Agree! I will try (again) while keeping it open - hopefully this will be fixed in next build due out this week!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The photo auto-upload to Onedrive does indeed work in the background, just not as timely as it once did before. I thought this wasn't working myself, but noticed they next day that all my latest pictures were there in my OneDrive camera roll. Just make sure that "auto-upload" option is set to "on" and let it do it's thing. I think now it waits for the Wifi connection to be ideal and when the system is idle. Before, you'd take a pic, and it'd auto-upload as soon as you had a WiFi connection. Now, it waits until conditions are "just right". No need to keep that OneDrive app open... Just be patient!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the missing features in the new camera for Windows 10? I've heard it doesn't have all the features of Lumia Camera 5. Has it ever been updated to cover what is needed yet?

It doesn't have the "Living Images" feature that Lumia Camera 5 has. Now that Apple is pushing their version of this, ("Live Photos") I think Microsoft should make sure this is part of their native "Camera" app and toot their horn a little, since we've had this for a while now. Let the masses know who really invented it!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Agree! I will try (again) while keeping it open - hopefully this will be fixed in next build due out this week!
Before trying it again, try checking your Onedrive/pictures/camera roll folder. I'll be willing to bet said pics are already there by now.

nedretvedt

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Before trying it again, try checking your Onedrive/pictures/camera roll folder. I'll be willing to bet said pics are already there by now.

What I did: I deactivated upload, then turned off phone. Restarted phone and turned activation back on. Then restarted the phone again. Then I opened the OneDrive/Pictures/Camera roll folder. While keeping this folder open I hit the menu button down on the left (...) and chose 'Update' (several times). Slowly but surely the missing photoes appeared! :)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
What I did: I deactivated upload, then turned off phone. Restarted phone and turned activation back on. Then restarted the phone again. Then I opened the OneDrive/Pictures/Camera roll folder. While keeping this folder open I hit the menu button down on the left (...) and chose 'Update' (several times). Slowly but surely the missing photoes appeared! :)

It's weird that you have this problem.. Which build are you one? I had the exact same problem in 166, but not with the latest.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
My principle concern is that Outlook Mail be brought to full functionality. I would have said more specifically, that individual inbox live tiles remain stable in the next build, as I was having an issue with one of my 4 inboxes was unstable. But then just this morning I saw an update to Mail and Calendar that seems to have corrected it. But what about a dark theme and what about "delete all" option?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077