Just the ONE bug...

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
...that prevents Aul and his team from releasing a new build has already become a running gag in our office. But seriously: it is just diappointing and frustrating how they deal with W10m. Yesterday I found it very irritating when Aul was tweeting the news about the bug in the store that blocks them from rolling out a new build because:
a) it is not critical at all
b) the store is an app itself and is able to receive updates so it could be fixed later and no need to roll out a new build
c) even a workaround was already provided (buy apps on PC / through website) IF it not works (might work normal tho msot of the time)
d) it is a technical preview - bugs are expected
e) we already used to a cr*ppy store that randomly crashes, not installs updates etc.
f) there have been more serious bugs and problems on builds in the past than this store bug
Somehow awkward was the poll as well. I not even got to see the official results of it.
And then today the "one bug" that prevents us from installing any further builds. Well some people face this issue already as you can see in the forums randomly. Also it is almost certain that after installing a new build you have to do a hard reset. So not much difference if you have to recover to 8.1 and then get the most recent build. And that is only once to get over the buidl that prevents you from updating. For me it was acceptable, especially in fast ring.
Now all we got is delays and excuses. I simply think there was no build prepared to be released and we only got to see this stage play to keep us calm and patient.
What do you think?

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I am personally not with the idea of going through COUNTLESS updates from 8.1-10 (that would be my 4th time) again and again.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they are lying.

Yes, I agree the store bug was not a huge issue buy it does degrade the main experience of a smartphone. And like you said, this is a development build. So it should be ok. By the way, Aul mentioned that it cannot be fixed by a store app update. It is not in the store itself.

However, I would definitely consider the upgrade bug a big one.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
By the way, Aul mentioned that it cannot be fixed by a store app update. It is not in the store itself.
OK, I missed that one. But he also stated that it just occurs on around 28% of the devices running this build right now.

However, I would definitely consider the upgrade bug a big one.
For slow ring yes, but for fast ring it would be acceptable in my opinion. Remember the bugs in the past that forced people to recover.

I don't think they are lying.
I not said so but it's chaotic and unprofessional.

Yes, I agree the store bug was not a huge issue buy it does degrade the main experience of a smartphone.
There are way more serious things that degrade the experience. Especially since buying apps is not a thing you doing like 10 times a day. So regarding that you running a technical preview it is totally acceptable you buy the apps thought the store IF you even have to do that. For me its just an excuse made up.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I lsimply think there was no build prepared to be released and we only got to see this stage play to keep us calm and patient.
What do you think?

I doubt they'd have a fake poll on twitter.Announce the build and then cancel it today to keep folks calm and patient.I do think we only got to see the stage play now because it's been so long since 10512

daniel cooper2

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
.... I simply think there was no build prepared to be released and we only got to see this stage play to keep us calm and patient.
What do you think?
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. I mean these guys are suppose to be professionals in their field. But yet they having a hard time making deadlines. They are not fixing known bugs. Updates are slow as hell. The got lock screen problems and they release it anyway. Now they on Twitter making deadlines they know they can't meet. That build is nowhere near of being done.
Just stay off of twitter until you actually push the update though.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I kinda agree with the OP, except a few things. I don't think they were lying. They don't have to do that, they can just push the 'no new builds today' to the sky.
However, I agree with all the things you listed, especially that it's a technical preview and that stuff is beyond expected. I also said it happened already, so no biggie.
I'll just wait for the next one, I won't die untill then, but I seriously wanted to get a fix for all the laggyness today, it's ridiculous.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I think Microsoft made the right choice. Small store bug or no, it would have been a bad PR this close to the launch. Also, you guys need to understand that OS is also going through under the hood changes and not just rewritten Universal Windows Platform UWP apps. Extending APIs also means changes on OS level, as OS has to allow and/or give permissions for the new system calls that newer APIs bring. I don't know if any one of you thought about this, but have you noticed a last few builds have bugs pertaining to lock screen? Seems odd, right? When all they are doing is rewriting some or more of UWP core apps(Phone, Messaging, People, Photos, Edge, Store, Settings, Alarms, Clock, Calculator etc.), a few personalization changes, new action center features and a bit more of connectivity options. I guess that's because they are adding Windows Hello security underneath the hood. And that is why I think we need to cut some slack. If we want better more powerful and feature rich UWP apps, we want them to make all the necessary under the hood changes to enable newer APIs for this new era of UWP apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte