Cannot set custom ringtones, where are they?

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I located the ringtones folder in W8.1, they show up when setting ringtones in "people", but it isn't with W10, anyone know how to do it?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Just go to one of your contacts and "edit" (the icon that looks like a pencil), there, you can set custom text tones and ringtones for each specific contact. Easy! (Works the same way on this new build, as it did on 10512)

image.jpg

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Just go to one of your contacts and "edit" (the icon that looks like a pencil), there, you can set custom text tones and ringtones for each specific contact. Easy! (Works the same way on this new build, as it did on 10512)

View attachment 112342

Oops... I meant custom notifications for apps like messaging, phone, Cortana etc. The sounds I transferred from PC show up in the file app but are not in the list of sounds under notifications.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I know how to do it, I may have been unclear.

I have copied ringtones to the ringtones folder in the phone using windows explorer, just as I did in WP8.1, but they are not an option to set as a ringtone in WP10.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh ok, when you have your custom ringtone on your PC (probably an MP3 file) you must transfer the file to your phone's ringtone folder over the USB cable. When you do, it'll ask you if you want to convert the file to an M4A, click YES, then you should see the new ringtone at the bottom of the list of ringtones to choose from on your phone.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I have transfered my ringtones over the usb cable but I didnt get any message asking if I wanted to convert them. They are not showing up in my ringtones like they did on the previous builds.

newnews

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
No, before build 10536, you do not have to convert, just copy those files to the ringtone folder, you are able to select them. However, it is broken in build 10536. MS really did "good" job!
Oh ok, when you have your custom ringtone on your PC (probably an MP3 file) you must transfer the file to your phone's ringtone folder over the USB cable. When you do, it'll ask you if you want to convert the file to an M4A, click YES, then you should see the new ringtone at the bottom of the list of ringtones to choose from on your phone.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I tried making some new one using the zedge rintones and that isnt working either. Ive never had problems with zedge before. I started a forum in the apps page about this problem but nobody has posted anything on it.

MetalHd

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
So I couldnt get files to show up in the ringtone pick list via any sync method. I converted the mp3 to m4a on the pc, then copied, and it showed up as an eligible custom ringtone!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmm you know what, I think you guys are right! My apologies.. I thought I did, but I guess I haven't checked this with this latest build, and it appears that they did indeed "break" this in this build. Sorry! Hopefully they'll get it patched up soon, or at least fixed by the final release...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It looks like another bug as I doubt this was removed deliberately. I thought maybe they re-introduced a size / time limitation but no adding anything under 30 seconds doesn't show up let alone at 5 seconds or 10. The 30 second limitation exists on certain android handsets and even goes back to certain models of the pocket pcs lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte